Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 AM

751 posts, read 1,673,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
How many of you married or are in relationships dream of being alone, living alone, coming home to a house that is exactly the same as you left it, not having to ask anyone for their opinions before doing or buying something etc. You get my point.

Even if you love your partner, does anyone ever think of these things?

I was widowed almost 4 years ago and being alone it sucks big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:43 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Sometimes.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM

367 posts, read 415,265 times
Quote:
How many of you married or are in relationships dream of being alone, living alone, coming home to a house that is exactly the same as you left it, not having to ask anyone for their opinions before doing or buying something etc. You get my point.

YES. I love my alone time. I grew up as an only child and i crave my alone time. I would LOVE my own bedroom, for example. At this low point that I am currently experiencing in my marrige, one of the things I'm fighting is a constant fantasy about living alone (with my kids, however - no question on that one!). I would love it ... but I need to stop thinking about that so much and turn that energy towards trying to fix my marriage.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:47 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,477 times
All the time.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default sounds like jacksonville

may have meant that he values his alone time so much he wants to be 100% certain he will give up his alone time to a person who is worth making that big change for, like the comfort factor in living with an SO equals the comfort level living alone

Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
I've always been like that. I don't mind being alone and I loved living alone for the short time I got to. I also fantasize about packing a bag and driving away without knowing where I'm going to end up--alone--just me and my chihuahua. If you could drive to the Ireland coast, that's where I'd end up.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Oh, its no secret......I'd love to come home to things as I left them, but I realized its a fantasy.

I don't ask for opinions or permission, I'm my own person.

Quote:

Old 05-07-2010, 02:18 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times
It's no secret for me--I voice it. Everyone knows I am greatly looking forward to "my" time. I've raised 4 kids who all know I love them dearly. They have done well in school and the 2 oldest are now off starting to make their own lives. My job was to raise them the best I could, give them wings to spread, and go off confidently into the world to create their own destiny. I will always be here for them and that will never change, but Mom wants her time now.

I have never in my entire life had "my time". I grew up in my Mother's house, went off to college, got married and had 4 kids. My life and how to live it have never really belonged to me. I am looking forward to doing what I want, when I want, without any judgements or expectations from loved ones. I have been meeting everyone else's needs for years and years.

I want my children to be able to do what they want to do with their lives without feeling like they need my approval or authorization to do so--quite unlike the life I lived as a child. As a result, my kids and I are extremely close and they know they can tell me anything--and they quite often do.

Even though I was a straight A student & very responsible, I knew there would be hell to pay emotionally if I did something my mother disagreed with. Unfortunately, these control issues with my mother did not end when I got married or had children. I swore to break the cycle and I have. Even more unfortunate, husband turned out to be a less dramatic version of my mother. The constant guilt trips & judgements were/are always there. He's on his way out.

Last edited by itsajourney; 05-07-2010 at 02:28 AM..

Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:

My house is always better than I left it and I don't have to ask any opinions about anything (I often choose to because I respect my partner's opinion and advice and because we just tell each other things). So those reasons for being alone don't come up much.

Plus, she works M-F 7-4 and I work 10 weekdays and 4 weekend days and some nights...so we both get the house to ourselves plenty.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:

Hell, who doesn't from time to time?

I love it when my wife takes the kids to visit her folks for a weekend. I make no bones about it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships