Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times

Advertisements

I saw my ex at the grocery store a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen him since last October when I moved out of the apartment complex we both lived in. The day I ran into him I had actually dressed up for work and was looking and feeling pretty good about myself. He saw me but pretended not to. I think it's safe to say he is not harboring any feelings for me and does not want anything to do with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:24 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
My Dad passed away 3 years ago year fall. My mom had been a wreck since he died, and swore up and down she'd never date anyone again..

Well, this past September, someone suggested she look up her high school sweetheart.. and after her curiosity got the better of her, she did. They basically picked up right where they left off from 50 some years ago.. He has since moved from michigan to wisconsin to be with her, and they are two little happy peas in a pod.

Sometimes I get frustrated that this guy took my dad's place.. but in all honesty, this guy (John) came way before my dad did. It's comforting.. While I miss the unit I once knew as 'my parents', I am happy that my mom is happy.
aww how sweet!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:10 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I saw my ex at the grocery store a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen him since last October when I moved out of the apartment complex we both lived in. The day I ran into him I had actually dressed up for work and was looking and feeling pretty good about myself. He saw me but pretended not to. I think it's safe to say he is not harboring any feelings for me and does not want anything to do with me.
LOL--high 5--you must be a good 'B'.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:21 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

As far as showing up to see me again at the store. My husband said he was cocky because he wanted to show you what you missed out on. A man that would take care of you, a big house, new cars, great vacations etc. My husband feels my old friend was definatly looking to have some sort of affair. My husband also said he thinks that my friend might have lead his wife to believe or told her that he and I were more than friends. Then of course she put her foot down and said if you two email each other I want to read them. He knew you would be pissed so he didnt tell you. He said she could be super jealous or my friend gives her reason to be by making her insecure. My husband thinks that is why she makes sure her presence is known on facebook. Just in case I might be after her man.

I thought his observations were pretty good. I value honesty greatly and thinking about how my friend handled all of his love relationships makes me realize I dodged a bullet. I put my friend on hide mode on facebook. There really is nothing to talk about with him and I actually feel sorry for his wife.

The DH is a 'Tom Hanks'--all that I ever could want --will keep looking.

'Tom Cruise'--not so much. My military person seemed to want to tell me about his material success, too. Those Ego's?
He has the ability to do well--yes, I knew that 'way back when'.

Actually, he had me 'At Hello'--maybe that wasn't enough of a challenge. Now he thinks I am a 'Feminist'--the most terrifying Feminist of them all--LOL--hope he understands his role in facilitating this aspect of my personality. LOL.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
My Dad passed away 3 years ago year fall. My mom had been a wreck since he died, and swore up and down she'd never date anyone again..

Well, this past September, someone suggested she look up her high school sweetheart.. and after her curiosity got the better of her, she did. They basically picked up right where they left off from 50 some years ago.. He has since moved from michigan to wisconsin to be with her, and they are two little happy peas in a pod.

Sometimes I get frustrated that this guy took my dad's place.. but in all honesty, this guy (John) came way before my dad did. It's comforting.. While I miss the unit I once knew as 'my parents', I am happy that my mom is happy.
YOU are an awesome child

Good for your mom - life is for living!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
I went to a 30+ year HS reunion. I didn't date anyone from my class, so no old flames were there. Sure there were many women that I had looked to as possibilities way back when.

It was nice catching up. The time flew by. That was the first reunion that I went to. I went because I was told by my doctors that he suspected I had cancer. I went 2 days after having surgery. Just go to the reunion if for no other reason than to reminisce on the old days.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:38 AM

341 posts, read 455,792 times
I can safely say I have no interest in digging up old flames ( as in, people I used to have a romantic involvement with). I have reconnected with a few via facebook, or have run into a couple here and there but it has never turned into anything more than the most basic of catch up. Just not interested.

HOWEVER, About a year and half ago I lost my dad and ended reconnecting with an old friend that I hadn't spoken to in thirty years. Our fathers were friends (that's how we knew each other) and I had spent time with his family over the summers. We always had a sweet flirtation, but never crossed the line of it turning into anything. And we never kept in touch. (I wrote him once or twice but he never wrote back)

He crossed my mind after I lost my dad. Can't say that I've thought of him ALL that often over the years, but he was always a fond memory, and one that I associated with my dad to some degree bcs of our fathers' relationship. Well, I found him online...was so disappointed in the pictures of him. He had been so cute, but he's bald now (shallow I know). But I emailed him anyway, not expecting anything. Just to let him and his family know about my dad.

And BAM. Constant contact. It was kind of overwhelming. All of those feelings I had for him at the tender of of 15 came flooding back. I recognize that it was tied up in losing my dad, but man, it was crazy. Our conversations were never inappropriate (we are both married and we both have kids), but it took some navigating. At some point it did ramp up and he started talking about trying to get together, but when I realized I'd probably have to lie to my husband to pull that off, it became clear that things were moving in the wrong direction. (I'm pretty slow on the uptake)

I think he realized too, although it was unspoken (again, we never had any conversations that were sexual in nature. AT ALL. We just have a very deep fondness and an old and strong connection. And we have so much in common that it was quite striking), so we both took a step back. Things cooled off. We are back in touch (still haven't seen each other). He's coming to visit with his family at the end of the summer. Things are in a much safer zone, now, which is a relief. We both really do care about each other and in a lot of ways, he's become one of my closest friends. We still need to be careful. But there is more of an awareness about it now, I think. And we are making more of an effort to include our spouses and children in the friendship, which feels better too

So my story (so far) has been a positive experience, and one that I am very grateful for! Of course, if I had gone into it with any expectation at all, I doubt it would have turned out the way that it did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships