Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
The link was disappointing. I was looking for a list of things to make a guy safe from the ravages of divorce.

There is a lot of demand for that out there.
1. Dont get married
2. Dont get married
3. Dont get married
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I have to agree with everything MathGuy has said. As usual, his posts are spot on. I would add that it's especially important to have realistic standards. A lot of guys enter their 30s expecting the women they meet to still look like they're 25 and have no kids.

This is why those who are able to, look for actual 25 year olds w/o kids. The rest of men are in a jam.

Quote:
The worst part is these same guys have put on weight and lost some hair. Sadly, a lot of guys will interpret this as lowering one's standards and settling.

The sad thing is that generally applies to the available single females too.

Quote:
One argument I reject is the "leftovers" argument, the one that says anyone who hasn't been married by the time they turn 30 was probably rejected by everyone else and should therefore be avoided. Maybe they devoted their 20s to establishing their careers.

This certainly applies to men. Unless a guy in the top 10% of looks, he will not have women lining up to support him. The men I knew, understood this well and worked hard to improve their chances. This often took until they were at least 30, since opportunities for men have been seriously reduced in order to provide opportunities for women. Given the economy in recent decades, the pay in the first few years is only barely better than subsistence. Meanwhile one is expected to spend his money on good clothes, a functional car and more studying.

Women don’t have this problem. If they are a decent catch, men will line up to marry and support them during these early lean career years. Often, they will be supported through advanced education too.

Of course, some make the mistake of marrying for looks and will find themselves suppoerting their husband but that is another issue.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is generally true. Somewhere in the 30's the balance of power (women have it no question in their 20's) in dating levels out and then starts to favor men. Much of this is driven by the mortality rate, supply\demand.

With regards to sex. Unless the gal is religious, gals 30+ generally are more comfortable with themselves and their needs etc. If you are a good guy working on a relationship with them....you will be *likely* to have sex sooner than later. It will also generally be done well, with less inhibition etc.

Then again, I like fiesty women so without exception I never went on a 2nd date with a gal that showed up withdrawn, nervous etc.
THANK YOU!!!!

You DO agree with what I'm trying to say. Obviously I didn't get the point across as well as you did. Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You'll no doubt learn more about 'mutually exclusive' when you grow up, right now I doubt that you experience very much of it. We understand why that is...
Just because you don't understand what I'm trying to say you decide to attack me personally rather than my idea/statement? If someone needs to do some growing up, it is you.

Basically my questions was why is a guy who values sex in a relationship also not considered to be a guy who values other important things in a relationship as well, or be unfairly labeled as a hornball after just one thing.

I feel communication is just as important as sex in a relationship. Ask the same women who withhold sex from their SO's or husbands what it would be like if their husbands only spoke to them once a week for 10 minutes, once a month, a few times a year....never in years.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
The ignorance being spewed on this thread is astounding.

But perhaps that's why those spewing it remain bitter and without women.

So far Mathguy is the only male offering advice here who has not also demonstrated that he has his head up his colon.
How many women offered good advice on the first page and a half?

If you pulled your own head out of your colon you might notice some of the comments were made in jest, not meant to be taken seriously.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:10 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
If you pulled your own head out of your colon you might notice some of the comments were made in jest, not meant to be taken seriously.
Even if that's true, Jefetio, you know -- every joke contains a joke.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
This is why those who are able to, look for actual 25 year olds w/o kids. The rest of men are in a jam.
And too often, the people who marry in their 20s end up divorced less than 10 years later, probably cause they didn't finish growing up, didn't figure out exactly who they were and what they wanted in a partner, and married the wrong person or discovered that they just weren't ready for marriage. I disagree that "the rest of us" are in a jam. I'm in my 30s. While the dating landscape is a lot different than it was in my 20s, I don't look at as a bad thing. In a lot of ways, I feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I'm a lot wiser, I have a better idea of what I want and don't want, and most of the women I meet in my age group are past the silly games and immaturity that you find among women in their 20s.

Quote:
The sad thing is that generally applies to the available single females too.
I never said it didn't. The point is that you can't be a hypocrite. That applies equally to men and women and yet a lot of people enter their 30s unable or just unwilling to be flexible. That would be like me going out into today's job market and making the same kinds of demands of employers that I would've made back in 2006.

Quote:
This certainly applies to men. Unless a guy in the top 10% of looks, he will not have women lining up to support him. The men I knew, understood this well and worked hard to improve their chances. This often took until they were at least 30, since opportunities for men have been seriously reduced in order to provide opportunities for women. Given the economy in recent decades, the pay in the first few years is only barely better than subsistence. Meanwhile one is expected to spend his money on good clothes, a functional car and more studying.

Women don’t have this problem. If they are a decent catch, men will line up to marry and support them during these early lean career years. Often, they will be supported through advanced education too.

Of course, some make the mistake of marrying for looks and will find themselves suppoerting their husband but that is another issue.
Opportunities for men have been reduced in order to provide opportunities for women? Gee, sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. Or your just sexist. This might come as a shock to you, but maybe most women would rather be financially independent than have a man marry them and support them during their early lean career years. Most women I know who are successful in their careers worker hard and sacrificed to get there. They went to 4 years of college, worked for a couple of years, went back to some kind of graduate school, then spent even more years paying your dues in jobs with long hours and low pay. They accepted the trade-off, which was less time for a serious relationship. That's why they arrived at their 30s still single.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:03 PM

20,717 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Opportunities have been made available for Mexicans. Since they can take home their pay and return to Mexico, the cost structure is such that American men in particular can't compete. Some of those jobs are semi-skilled and sometimes skilled labor in blue collar construction. Since American women tend to be in fields that involve information and communication, they don't have Mexican competition. That is really what is uniquely behind the US male emasculation. That its been called a man's recession implies that in many fields men and women don't compete.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Opportunities have been made available for Mexicans. Since they can take home their pay and return to Mexico, the cost structure is such that American men in particular can't compete. Some of those jobs are semi-skilled and sometimes skilled labor in blue collar construction. Since American women tend to be in fields that involve information and communication, they don't have Mexican competition. That is really what is uniquely behind the US male emasculation. That its been called a man's recession implies that in many fields men and women don't compete.
Did you just suggest that Mexicans are ruining dating for 30 something men?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:35 PM

78,396 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
THANK YOU!!!!

You DO agree with what I'm trying to say. Obviously I didn't get the point across as well as you did. Thanks again.
Don't thank me, lol, what you said in THAT post was correct.

I'm just speaking from a wierdly unique experience. I dated around age 22-23, met a great gal 7-8 years older than me and married her at 25. She died when I was 38 so.....by 39 or so....back on the market. So, I'm acutely aware of how different the dating environments are between those age groups.

If you let yourself get jaded. You LOSE. You might me the perfect man\woman for you and **** it away with your own baggage. If you aren't ready to date then don't. Key is to know who you are, what you want and WHERE to look for it.

Best of luck to you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships