Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
No, I called them to task - part of their therapy.
The good black sheep! That might not be so bad then!LOL......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 10:33 PM

272 posts, read 639,913 times
Simple, if they say Yes to a date.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
$100k is a decent chunk of change regardless of what area you live in

point is tho if my broke average looking ass can get girls you can too
No it isn't, not in NYC. In NYC, making $100k is considered, "eh." Same with San Francisco, probably DC as well.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:25 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
Simple, if they say Yes to a date.
That's not accurate, because even if you date, and start a relationship, she could later realize she can do better, and dump you. She was out of your league if that's the case.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
No it isn't, not in NYC. In NYC, making $100k is considered, "eh." Same with San Francisco, probably DC as well.

Yup. If you lived in Manhattan, and made 100k, you'd probably be considered close to poverty. My brother makes that much, and he doesn't have much left over after he pays his rent, plus everything else there is so much more expensive. Perhaps if you get 5 roommates, you could have more money, but what kind of 40 year old wants roommates, let alone 5 roommates?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,380,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
That's not accurate, because even if you date, and start a relationship, she could later realize she can do better, and dump you. She was out of your league if that's the case.
Is everything a downer for you?

See the brighter side of things.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
Yup. If you lived in Manhattan, and made 100k, you'd probably be considered close to poverty. My brother makes that much, and he doesn't have much left over after he pays his rent, plus everything else there is so much more expensive. Perhaps if you get 5 roommates, you could have more money, but what kind of 40 year old wants roommates, let alone 5 roommates?
That's about what I make, I live alone in Brooklyn, renting a apartment from a family member which means I am getting a $$ break. Nobody would mistake me for doing well here, but I'm not poor either... like I said my level is considered "eh."

People who live in lower-priced areas don't understand how much everything costs... I'm not shopping at Wal mart so I am paying $1.00 for a roll of toilet paper , $4.00 for a dozen eggs and a buck fifty for a can of beans!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,666 times
Quote:
You are your own worst enemy.

You're not in high school anymore. When you grow up you'll realize that you make your own "leagues" by determining what's important to you. No one is "out of your league", unless you think they are.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,380,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post

You're not in high school anymore. When you grow up you'll realize that you make your own "leagues" by determining what's important to you. No one is "out of your league", unless you think they are.
The emboldended part says it all.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Quote:

I live on Staten Island. You can live relatively well for far less than $100K. I have friends in Manhattan who do just fine on $70K. They are not living in poverty; then again, they aren't living on the upper east side in a concierge apt either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Is everything a downer for you?

See the brighter side of things.
Bingo, Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
That's about what I make, I live alone in Brooklyn, renting a apartment from a family member which means I am getting a $$ break. Nobody would mistake me for doing well here, but I'm not poor either... like I said my level is considered "eh."

People who live in lower-priced areas don't understand how much everything costs... I'm not shopping at Wal mart so I am paying $1.00 for a roll of toilet paper , $4.00 for a dozen eggs and a buck fifty for a can of beans!
I don't care if you're in Park Slope or the end of the graves in Brooklyn, sorry but shopping in bodegas for everything for a roll of tp or $4 for a dozen eggs is lunacy. There ARE supermarkets in Brooklyn - Shoprites and Pathmarks and Waldbaum's. And there are deals to be had. $4 for eggs, are you out of your freakin' mind? I just bought 4 doz - at $.89 and Pathmark has a sale on beans for $.77. Sorry, but you don't have to have your beans catered! Do you have your meat pre-chewed for ya at $12/lb? You are beyond extravagant - that's just wasteful.

I have friends in Brooklyn, Park Slope, Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, Gerritson Beach, and Bath Beach and only one of them makes $100K. I'm not saying you have to be really tightfisted but if you're frugal, $60K will go pretty far - and without roommates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post

Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships