Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

I prefer it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
is she less of a woman at age 30, if she doesn't have any children?
Last time I checked I had all my female parts. The doctor even said I was female and I saw it on his chart.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Wait .... what?

Is this something you are catching sh*t about and are looking for comebacks, or are you throwing it out because it's something you believe? If it's the former, mucho sympathy. Woman does not = mother, fundy and conservative thinking aside. If it's something you believe, you need to come back and 'splain yourself. You can't just throw out a comment like that and then disappear into the woodwork. It's trollish

Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I am not sure what having children and being a woman have to do with one another. I have not got one ounce of maternal instinct and I feel just fine thank you. I am extremely feminine and do not feel something is missing in my life because I have not bred. I am 42 and have no intentions of ever having a child. And If I wanted one I would adopt or foster as I feel unwanted children should be a priority .

Having kids is great for some, and a terrible ideas for others. Women are individuals and as such do not have to conform to socio cultural pressures simply because it is tradition.

I admire good parents. But it's not for me.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 AM

645 posts, read 1,451,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Of course not.

But I'm wondering why you are even thinking this???????
Because people around me with children are always trying to pity me or make me feel some kind of way about being 30 w/o any children.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Because people around me with children are always trying to pity me or make me feel some kind of way about being 30 w/o any children.
Well, ok. Do a search on "childfree". There are groups for those totally sure about themselves - those tend to be pretty hardcore. Others that provide support to those who are definitely CF but who also welcome fence sitters. Something like Welcome to The Childfree Life

Look for CF blogs. Britgirl has one of the best, IMO. She rants but also writes many articles that display great balance and wisdom Like It Is — The Interests of a Childfree Brit Living in Toronto

One of her latest entries has words that might help

Quote:
In a society that’s fixated on having kids it can be very hard not to feel the odd person out and the one that doesn’t “fit.” It’s one of the reasons that being childfree isn’t for the faint-hearted. If societal acceptance is high on your list then being childfree is going to be one uphill battle. Unfortunately there is little support for teens and young people to enable them to consider a childfree life and of course no support in general. Even if people don’t say it directly (and as we know many do), pro-natalism is conveyed in so many ways… from the constant mention of “mommy power” to the endless references to “our children” in business meetings to the complete lack of acknowlegdement that not everyone has or wants kids. The childfree people I know, however, don’t have much of need to be accepted by society. As long as we’re left alone to live our lives, and don’t get bombarded with insecurities and bingoes… it’s cool. It’s a good point from which to start.
ETA: Detachment is a good skill to perfect. Adopt stock phrases:
"Well, that's an interesting opinion"

"Oh, that's nice that you really like children. Others choose different life paths. Since I respect yours, I only ask the same in return. Don't you think that's reasonable?" (the last sentence is to turn the tables on them.)

My best method for the persistent types is to say "yeah, whatever". Roll your eyes and give a disinterested *shrug*

If you are under thirty now, you are the age I was in the 80s. Back then, the word 'childfree' wasn't in common use. Attitudes were even more ridiculous. I was married barely 6 months when people (almost strangers, in fact) were congratulating me on being pregnant. When I let out a squawk and asked what made them think of that, the reply was "well, you guys have been married for several months, we just thought ....". The Lifescript held great sway back then. Today, a lot of people don't make the automatic assumption that everyone has babies, but there are still dimbulbs out there. I'm sorry you are having to come up against them. They make me question the intelligence of the human race

Last edited by silverwing; 05-11-2010 at 06:36 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,899 times
Most of my friends who do have children were around 28-32 when they had them--no younger--they do not make me feel like less of a person (that's called jealousy at your childfree life)...

Old 05-11-2010, 06:28 AM

172 posts, read 414,403 times
Children make people mothers and fathers, not women or men. Would this question even be asked of a man?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 AM

153 posts, read 237,411 times
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY not!!! I have friends having kids in their 40's.

A good mom is GREAT when she is ready to have kids

Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 AM

153 posts, read 237,411 times
Quote:
I just read further down......if you choose to not have kids that is YOUR choice not anyone elses. All I can say is try to IGNORE. I am going through a NASTY divorce and have become somewhat of the gossip of the town, small town crap........I know it's a different circumstance but I have had to ignore other people for my own sanity and my kids well being. Life is short, live it as best for YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships