Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times

Advertisements

What makes you think David's wife doesn't know what's going on from the comfort of her new home? This reminds me of The Sopranos. Tony is a great provider who cheats left and right, while his wife looks the other way so long as she has the Benz in the driveway of their McMansion and all the tacky bling he can afford. I'm sure if David was a broke ass his wife would have called him out a long time ago and she would have walked. But she's living high on the hog and some things can be over-looked for a price. Not saying that this is the case with them, but it does happen. There are thousands of wives in upscale communities whose husbands are having flings, yet they won't rock the boat because they know they have it good in every other way and are willing to live with that unspoken compromise. Sounds sick but it's a reality.

David sounds like an idiot. He's not being very discreet by allowing this mistress to have his cell phone number and then invite her to dinner with friends and acquaintances. Guys talk just as much as women. Especially one who might have his eyes on David's wife, he could use this as leverage to gain favor with her. Eventually he'll get caught and one of two things will happen. He'll cry and beg for her forgiveness and promise to change while convincing her to give him a second chance, or, she'll leave him and divorce him for half of everything and the kids come out on the losing end regardless.

As to why he's doing this...could be any number of reasons, none of which would make sense to someone who has to ask this question in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Things like this make me wonder why married men do this.
Because they're POS losers. Also water is wet. This isn't rocket science folks.

The only reason I might not rat him out (which is an excellent description btw) is the kids. However it won't get easier on the kids when she finds out later - and odds are she will.

What wingsy said. Have no patience or understanding for it. If you want to sleep around, don't get married.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
What makes you think David's wife doesn't know what's going on from the comfort of her new home? This reminds me of The Sopranos. Tony is a great provider who cheats left and right, while his wife looks the other way so long as she has the Benz in the driveway of their McMansion and all the tacky bling he can afford. I'm sure if David was a broke ass his wife would have called him out a long time ago and she would have walked. But she's living high on the hog and some things can be over-looked for a price. Not saying that this is the case with them, but it does happen. There are thousands of wives in upscale communities whose husbands are having flings, yet they won't rock the boat because they know they have it good in every other way and are willing to live with that unspoken compromise. Sounds sick but it's a reality.
Yes, it could be this. Or it could be that she is cheating too. Or perhaps she hates sex and is thrilled to have someone out there sleeping with him so she isn't expected to...

All of these different variables are why I mind my own business when it comes to affairs, and why I don't pass judgment.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Because they're POS losers. Also water is wet. This isn't rocket science folks.

The only reason I might not rat him out (which is an excellent description btw) is the kids. However it won't get easier on the kids when she finds out later - and odds are she will.

What wingsy said. Have no patience or understanding for it. If you want to sleep around, don't get married.
That's one thing I believe. A man may be a shameless womanizer, but if he doesn't have a wife, at the very least he's not committing adultery, even if he is breaking hearts, lying, etc, which is certainly to be condemned.

But an adulterer like David may well cause incredible heartache and humiliation to his wife.

As for what Coolhand, sadly, it's possible David's wife knows and puts up with it. She doesn't have any real skills and whatever she can do workwise, it'd never earn her the lifestyle David's handsome income does.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
As for what Coolhand, sadly, it's possible David's wife knows and puts up with it. She doesn't have any real skills and whatever she can do workwise, it'd never earn her the lifestyle David's handsome income does.
From my favorite novel:

"Sir Pitt Crawley [...] selected for a second wife Miss Rose Dawson, daughter of Mr. John Thomas Dawson, ironmonger, of Mudbury. What a happy woman was Rose to be my Lady Crawley!

Let us set down the items of her happiness. In the first place, she gave up Peter Butt, a young man who kept company with her, and in consequence of his disappointment in love, took to smuggling, poaching, and a thousand other bad courses. Then she quarrelled, as in duty bound, with all the friends and intimates of her youth, who, of course, could not be received by my Lady at Queen's Crawley—nor did she find in her new rank and abode any persons who were willing to welcome her. Who ever did? Sir Huddleston Fuddleston had three daughters who all hoped to be Lady Crawley. Sir Giles Wapshot's family were insulted that one of the Wapshot girls had not the preference in the marriage, and the remaining baronets of the county were indignant at their comrade's misalliance. Never mind the commoners, whom we will leave to grumble anonymously.

Sir Pitt did not care, as he said, a brass farden for any one of them. He had his pretty Rose, and what more need a man require than to please himself? So he used to get drunk every night: to beat his pretty Rose sometimes: to leave her in Hampshire when he went to London for the parliamentary session, without a single friend in the wide world. Even Mrs. Bute Crawley, the Rector's wife, refused to visit her, as she said she would never give the pas to a tradesman's daughter. [...]

When her husband was rude to her she was apathetic: whenever he struck her she cried. She had not character enough to take to drinking, and moaned about, slipshod and in curl-papers all day. O Vanity Fair—Vanity Fair! This might have been, but for you, a cheery lass—Peter Butt and Rose a happy man and wife, in a snug farm, with a hearty family; and an honest portion of pleasures, cares, hopes and struggles—but a title and a coach and four are toys more precious than happiness in Vanity Fair: and if Harry the Eighth or Bluebeard were alive now, and wanted a tenth wife, do you suppose he could not get the prettiest girl that shall be presented this season?

William M. Thackeray, Vanity Fair.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
So? Divorce the guy, get half his stuff/income. Don't kid yourselves that this isn't still common (even when the guy doesn't deserve it, altho it would seem he does in this case).

Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
I despise men (and women) who do this... nor do I buy any of the excuses given. Either be honest about what you want/need and come to some sort of agreement, or let your partner go rather than stabbing a knife into their back with every lie, deceit and betrayal.

I'm sorry, but there just is no excuse for cheating like this... none... and to be honest, I don't have much respect for those friends and family who condone this kind of behavior with their silence. I don't stay friends with, or connected to, those who expect me to keep their betrayal a secret. I've walked away from friends and family who let me know they were getting "a little sumpin' sumpin'" on the side and thought I'd still hang out with them while their spouse or SO was completely clueless as to what was going on.

That is exactly how I feel about this especially since my husband cheated on me.

I don't take it personally anymore. Was it due to lack of sex? Nope. I tried to initiate it so many times and he always turned me down. I was always good to him. We had fun together, we used to have a good relationship then one day he decided that the grass was greener on the other side....and we haven't even been married for 2 years!

I hope his wife finds out and take everything she probably can away from this dirtbag.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 AM

180 posts, read 378,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because people want to have their cake and eat it too. This is absolutly nothing new.
No kidding.

Human beings are not monogamous by nature. It's just a fact. Who's to say David's wife isn't cheating on him too? Maybe that's why she flipped out so much over such an innocent comment at dinner. She might have been projecting her own guilt and paranoia.

You never know...

Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I know of a couple just like this. The husband, in his late 60's, built and owns a major international security firm. His wife appears to have all the comforts money can buy. They have a beautiful apartment in NYC, vacation homes in Florida, the Hamptons and a couple of other places, a garage that is stocked with a Maybach, a Ferrari and several vintage cars, a yacht, etc.

It's a well-known secret that he has women (multiple) on the side in different locations. One of these women was the wife of a good friend of ours, that worked for his company. She left our friend 3 months after she gave birth claiming that she wanted more in life than he could provide. She dragged our friend through the ringer trying to keep him from overnight visitations, claiming that an infant should never be separated from their mother overnight. She was able to acquire very expensive lawyers and our friend basically ate through his entire half of the monies that they had. Within months of filing she was able to purchase a home, a new car, pay for her mother to come be with her; money that definitely wasn't acquired from her marriage or her job.

However, it is also known that this man will NEVER leave his wife for any of these women (including our friend's ex, apparently) and the wife will NEVER leave him.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Apparently David thinks his brother-in-law and the other friend can be trusted. From what I know, David's gamble has paid off so far, because his wife does not know (yet).
Drop a dime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships