Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:15 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, I read the standardised version.

I don't care if your name is MacCarthy or McCarthy, I'm going to spell it the latter way. Always.
Doesn't matter which way you spell it. You haven't read Macbeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Doesn't matter which way you spell it. You haven't read Macbeth.
And how do you know that? Just because I have a peculiarity when it comes to spelling the name? That's your only basis for judgement, after all. We read it IN CLASS, so I have dozens of people that could confirm that I did in fact read it.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And how do you know that? Just because I have a peculiarity when it comes to spelling the name? That's your only basis for judgement, after all. We read it IN CLASS, so I have dozens of people that could confirm that I did in fact read it.
I know, because if you read the word "Macbeth" over and over, you would have instinctively spelled it that way.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Nope. I so dislike "Mac" that I NEVER spell it that way.

Even to the extent that I call the sandwich a Big Mc. Are you going to say I've never been to MC Donald's now?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:29 PM

Wow, you have a MacPhobia.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 AM

Well, I have witnesses that can attest to the fact that I've read it. Those same witnesses could tell you that I'm odd, peculiar, or just plain weird.

"Eccentric" is a term reserved for people who are famous, in our opinion.

That particular English teacher seemed to think that literature began and ended with William Shakespeare (the generally accepted spelling, though he used others).

I was beginning to think that you were letting your personal biases against me colour your judgement, barrister.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Maybe you should move to New York then. Also who has time to watch Oprah?
you know i thought about that, but then isn't NYC the epicenter of the whole SATC thing?

i'm not real crazy about big cities. i have a deep-seated need for people to wave at me as they drive by, and this is worth any sacrifice.

Last edited by le roi; 05-15-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you know i thought about that, but then isn't NYC the epicenter of the whole SATC thing?
From what I've read on this forum, it's clear to me the "epicenter of the whole SATC thing" is in the boonies.

Quote:
i'm not real crazy about big cities. i have a deep-seated need for people to wave at me as they drive by, and this is worth any sacrifice.
Well, then you'll have continue to put up with women who pathetically try to imitate what they think are big city ways and spend all day watching TV instead of working, I guess. Realize, by the way, the drivers not waiving in New York City isn't through lack of friendliness.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Well, then you'll have continue to put up with women who pathetically try to imitate what they think are big city ways and spend all day watching TV instead of working, I guess.
you're right. if, a few years ago, sorority girls at a large state university spent too much time watching TV during the day, it is just how things will have to be. i remain optimistic.

Quote:
Realize, by the way, the drivers not waiving in New York City isn't through lack of friendliness.
is it because their hand is on the horn?

seriously, though, do you think new york city is less materialistic than other places? do you mean that these two shows are in poor fashion?

Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
is it because their hand is on the horn?
No, because DUH, you need to keep both hands on the wheel -- which you won't be able to do if you are waiving at everyone who passes you by. In most places in NYC, there is a $300 fine for honking unless a collision is imminent; and cabbies are fined thousands of dollars for things like that. It's quite rare to hear a horn here.

Quote:
seriously, though, do you think new york city is less materialistic than other places?
Define materialism. NYC has a lot more people with money than most places in the US. These people consequently buy more stuff. That stuff runs the gamut from luxury cars to fine art, and it means that lots of people are also fashionable and glamorous. But owning stuff does not make one materialistic. Materialism isn't the state of one's closet -- it's a state of mind. You can have every toy in the world, and still not be materialistic, as long as you don't make those toys more important than they should be. By contrast, even a very ascetic or deprived person can be materialistic, if his understanding of virtue or well-being revolves around ownership. I grew up in a country where people were a lot poorer and had a lot fewer things -- and because of that, they were a lot more materialistic than Americans (and New Yorkers). After all, so much of materialism is simply a desire for stuff, and tying one's self-worth into it. In subcultures where such desire persists but is rarely satisfied, and where possessing certain things becomes emblematic of self-worth, materialism is particularly pronounced.

Quote:
do you mean that these two shows are in poor fashion?
I don't like the idea of talk shows because the sight of people washing their dirty laundry on national television makes me sick, and because the advice that emerges is worthless; at best, it's elucidating the obvious.

As for SATC, it is a television equivalent of a fashion magazine. It is about as accurate in its portrayal of New York life to a country person as Cosmo would be of life on Earth to a space alien. This city is a lot of things to a lot of people, and the show's approach is relentlessly reductive. Certainly, there are those of us who love to buy designer clothes and can afford to do so -- but our lives revolve around other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships