Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

Thursday007 had the best advice. You don't want to stir up more trouble but you want to get rid of the stuff. The only thing you need to consider is that you really need to give her a reasonable amount of time to actually get it done, then if any conflict arises because she doesn't show up you can prove that you were being considerate of her schedule and giving her plenty of time to get the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
there are places in the desert you can light the stuff on fire. Just a fantasy.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
After a year and a half of asking her to come get her stuff I say just get rid of it however you want to and don't worry about it any more. She might pitch a fit, but do you care? Unless you're worried that she won't share the dog with you anymore.

I don't see what she could sue you for. You don't have a legal obligation to keep her stuff.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I am going to email her and say she has a week to deal with it or forfeit it all. Then it goes either on Craigslist or to the dump - whatever I decide.
Good call.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
Do it in writing, and have it recorded.

Give her 7 days, that's a reasonable enough time , after 18 months !
If she doesn't collect it within the alloted time, you'll dispose of it as you see fit.

Leave a paper trail tho, so there's no comeback if she gets nasty.

However, I'd suspect that if she hasn't used it since 2008, she's not gonna use it at all, and she's either forgotten, lazy, or territory marking.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
In some states, if your ex leaves their property in your home after vacating it (generally, the day she gives up her set of keys), it becomes your property due to abandonment on her part and you can do what you like. I think it's 30 days in a lot of cases, but I'd check with your local police station. If she moved out in 2008, it's probably considered yours now and you can do what you want. Think about it this way, if you move into a new apartment and the previous tenants left a chair, you can do what you like with it and they can't say anything. She was a previous tenant and had a reasonable amount of time. It's her fault if she doesn't take advantage of it.

As a courtesy (and to not antagonize her too much if you have a dog together), I'd set a date and time they need to be out by or you will throw them away. Then stick to it.
Yep. They don't say "possession is nine-tenths of the law" for nothing.

In fact, I would just sell what I could and donate the rest, and not even mention it again. If she asks, I'd say, "Well, I asked you X number of times over the last YEAR AND A HALF and I schlepped X number of carloads to your place, and I figured at this point you just didn't want it."

I mean, come on. My ex had three days to get his crap out of my apartment. That's why I'm sitting on his office chair right now, 350 miles away.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,919 times
I don't know anything about US laws, but here in sweden unless she could show the reciets and match them to her own bank-balance there is no way to proove that they belong to her, and thus she'd have no say in it legally... I'd take it all to the dump and be done with it... worst case scenario I'd have to pay the second hand price of the stuff... unless she the stuff is made out of gold (in which case you should sell it) it wouldn't be worth too much... problem solved

Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,492 times
i would have a giveaway sale in your front yard.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 AM

791 posts, read 1,426,271 times
call her brother and tell him that the stuff is going out the the curb in an hour and if he wants to pick up her stuff, he needs to beat the garbage man to it.....he has the van.....shes a weasel and he knows it....he will pick it up....

Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 AM

791 posts, read 1,426,271 times
thought about it a bit more.......rent a wood chipper and run the stuff through......then bag it up and set it out for the garbage man...problem solved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships