Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:20 PM

629 posts, read 1,232,029 times

Advertisements

Why do some women who have stereotypical preferences stick to it so blindly that they can't see a good thing in front of them?

Sorry had to change my question because asking about Asian women and Hispanic men wasn't allowed. Wonder why?

Any way. I was invovled with a sexy little woman (whose chinese). We were close but apparently she prefers white guys. I was an exception (hispanic). But over time I guess she decided she only wanted to get serious with a white guy because in her words, "i don't see myself marrying someone who isn't white". I was like what the umm heck? Are you serious? I never even realized how common the stereotype until I realized she fit right in. All her actions, her clothes, her make up, even the way she talks was surrounding the stereotypical americanized asian searching for a white guy. I understanding having a preference but assuming you'll never be happy with anyone else is ridiculous.

I tried to talk it over but I kept getting the same response as if it were written in her blood and could never be changed. I have preferences also but I never use them as reasons for getting rid of a great person. She even told me how much I made her happy and how great I was. My only "flaw" was that i didn't meet her preference...ehem.

Is this common? Do some women stand by their preference like law?

PS: For those who want to delete this thread. This isn't a racial discussion. Although I have no control over the comments others have. You ask me it's on "preference".

Old 05-15-2010, 06:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,023,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Why do some women who have stereotypical preferences stick to it so blindly that they can't see a good thing in front of them?

Sorry had to change my question because asking about Asian women and Hispanic men wasn't allowed. Wonder why?

Any way. I was invovled with a sexy little woman (whose chinese). We were close but apparently she prefers white guys. I was an exception (hispanic). But over time I guess she decided she only wanted to get serious with a white guy because in her words, "i don't see myself marrying someone who isn't white". I was like what the umm heck? Are you serious? I never even realized how common the stereotype until I realized she fit right in. All her actions, her clothes, her make up, even the way she talks was surrounding the stereotypical americanized asian searching for a white guy. I understanding having a preference but assuming you'll never be happy with anyone else is ridiculous.

I tried to talk it over but I kept getting the same response as if it were written in her blood and could never be changed. I have preferences also but I never use them as reasons for getting rid of a great person. She even told me how much I made her happy and how great I was. My only "flaw" was that i didn't meet her preference...ehem.

Is this common? Do some women stand by their preference like law?

PS: For those who want to delete this thread. This isn't a racial discussion. Although I have no control over the comments others have. You ask me it's on "preference".
Everybody has a preference in various aspects of life. For example:

I only use Mobil 1 or Royal Purple motor oil for all my cars.

I only eat "healthy" foods.

I only go to African barber shops to cut my hair.

I only use bath soaps with minimal chemicals.

See, I could go on, but some people extend it further to dating and really I don't understand the problem. You have 3.5 billion other women to date if this lady does not want to go further with you.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:03 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,366,024 times
as has been stated, preferences are normal. It's her own right/prerogative.

I only would consider dating southern Asian women. No other ethnicity qualifies. I don't see it as being discriminatory or exclusionary, but such is life, I like what I like.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,392,061 times
Yep, and it's not limited to women, of course. I'd venture to say many people have something in their minds as what makes a person a candidate for marriage, and while that can certainly change it can just as easily be a primary determining factor.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Everybody has a preference in various aspects of life. For example:

I only use Mobil 1 or Royal Purple motor oil for all my cars.

I only eat "healthy" foods.

I only go to African barber shops to cut my hair.

I only use bath soaps with minimal chemicals.

See, I could go on, but some people extend it further to dating and really I don't understand the problem. You have 3.5 billion other women to date if this lady does not want to go further with you.
The problem is that people shouldn't be catergorized like food or products. Everyone is different regardless of the category they have been generalized. Dating is an experience and the purpose is to find who you connect with (or get laid...cough sorry). If you connect with someone why disgard them because they weren't the right brand?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:25 PM

Dating preferences in a way cannot be helped.

We naturally are attracted to people who gel with us, or are better suited to us.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:28 PM

It's too common and it's frustrating because it seems to be accepted. I wonder where it comes from but then I see the stereotypes that surround us and I realize that they are the reason. Society has affected the way we think. She was an asian who fantasized about that perfect white guy and had I realized how common it was I would've known that I never had a chance long before I grew attached to her. I searched and you never see and posts on hispanic men and asian women. I was like wow I was screwed before I knew it. I hate following stereotypes but when I find out personally that a lot of them are true I feel powerless to go against them.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Preferences are not always based on stereotypes. It could be physical attraction, or attraction to culture, or experiences in growing up around x group, etc.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Dating preferences in a way cannot be helped.

We naturally are attracted to people who gel with us, or are better suited to us.
So are you saying because she was chinese with a white fetish she was better suited for a white guy and not a hispanic man who knew her and would've taken care of her? Problem is that we BELIEVE a type is better suited for us be we really know nothing until we try. Most women I know will stick to what they know and never venture. Then they wonder why they can't find a great guy. Stop tripping over the same ditch, choose a new path and see where it takes you.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 PM

213 posts, read 415,657 times
dude, get over her. you're idolizing this chick, plenty of other fish in the sea. it's her loss. sort of racist of her if you ask me. she's asian and she wants white dudes? what about some self love for her own race? anyway, you're lucky you didn't end up with someone so narrow minded. find someone who will realize all your awesomeness and not make you feel like crap for something you have no control over.

Last edited by genx; 05-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships