Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:40 AM

182 posts, read 647,190 times

Advertisements

It might also be for health reasons. I can't drink, and I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable having to explain that on a date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,078 times
It's always better finding someone who's similar towards you in regards to drinking. I got no problem with drinking if I'm invited but some people just don't like taste liquor in their mouth. It's called personal choice.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
A gal aught to be able to decide for herself if she wants to drink or not. I can think of lots of reason from abstaining. U don't like the taste, or how it makes u feel, or makes u look or u just plain don't want to. What does that have to do with a woman liking adventure? Nothing...

Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
they're okay by me, preferable even. I like women who are mature and serious.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
that thread about clubbing got me thinking...no offense to the poster of that thread she seems like an alright gal

ive dated girls that dont drink and they almost always seem less adventurous and the more serious type ill ask why they dont drink and theres always some spiel about how they dont need liquor to have fun. ive had fun without and with booze so its never needed but can make for a fun time! and sometimes its nice to just have a single drink with dinner no need to get wasted or anything.

whats up wtih girls that are afraid to even have a single drink?
I don't drink alcohol, never have and possibly never will. I will have a glass of Champagne at someone's wedding if I must. That's about it. I don't like the taste of alcohol, and I don't like what excess alcohol consumption does to people. Sue me.

I find it bizarre that some people expect all human beings to be like them. I am an individual, and I chose not to drink alcohol because I don't enjoy it. And yes I am a bit of a control freak so losing control because of alcohol does not appeal in the slightest.

Also I can enjoy myself without booze as odd as it may seem to some people. I compare my life to the ones of my friends who drink and quite frankly I prefer mine.

I have travelled the world , often on my own ( fairly adventurous I would say as a single female) , and still do, I am constantly doing something, going to the theatre, concerts, movies, lectures, art galleries, meeting interesting people, involved in charities, when I was healthy I was hiking in jungles, hang-gliding, semi professional skiing, flying, etc... Might sound boring to some, to me that's what life is about. Getting out and doing stuff.

Getting drunk propping up a bar does not even figure in my idea of fun or adventure...

I actually find most people who get drunk about as boring as can be. Most are incapable of having a good time without chemical help. I enjoy my life because of what I make of it. New experiences, the acquisition of knowledge and the making of human connections with people who actually interest me .

Call me boring and not adventurous. It's my life and alcohol has no place in it whatsoever. It's not a "moral" choice, but one of taste and one of preferring to do something with my life.

Alcohol to me tastes horrible, and makes you lose control. Oblivion has never been something I want. I will face my life head on without it.

Places like Vegas where vapid distractions and alcohol/drugs feature prominently are my idea of hell on earth. Quite literally. I would rather be standed in a jungle for a week than spend one day in Vegas. There would enough to keep me interested and distracted in a Jungle for a long , long time and nothing in Vegas. I know because I was there once and wanted to chew my own foot up. I have never been so bored in my entire life. I felt I was on planet Tedium waiting for the sweet release of death....

Boring I know....

I don't have any problem with people drinking , it's their live, their choice. If people want to get drunk and behave like babboons on heat, I really could not care less but it's not for me.

I find it easier to respect people who drink in moderation but hey whatever rocks people's boat. Not my life. Nothing to do with me. As long as people don't harm others I don't care.

Alcohol does not make anyone more interesting except maybe to themselves...

Which I believe is why most people drink. A bit of Dutch courage to approach other human beings and enjoy themselves without the hard glare of real life and to forget who they are.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Ep- Ep- started this thread

2,080 posts, read 4,169,580 times
im not really critisizing anyone just noting general observations and asking question

i was at a nice upscale restaurant awhile back and the waitor brought us out a free round of some fancy drink while we were waiting. girl just let it sit there and told me shes never drank because she didnt believe in drinking for fun. the drink was really good and didnt taste alchoholic at all so i didnt really think of it any different from them bringing us a free coke or something similiar

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
im not really critisizing anyone just noting general observations and asking question

i was at a nice upscale restaurant awhile back and the waitor brought us out a free round of some fancy drink while we were waiting. girl just let it sit there and told me shes never drank because she didnt believe in drinking for fun. the drink was really good and didnt taste alchoholic at all so i didnt really think of it any different from them bringing us a free coke or something similiar
I can always tell there's alcohol in something. As someone who doesn't drink there is nothing you can do to disguise the taste. I have tried so many alcohols including wine coolers and very sweet ones and what we call "alco-pops" in the UK. Still stinks like booze to me and makes me go "brrrrr".

I often will have a tasting sip of my friends cocktails and no matter how sweet, it tastes like booze to me. It always makes me shudder and I get this kind of shiver down my spine every time I ingest booze. I got married last October and hubby and I were the only people not drinking . The waiter made us a special cocktail and I managed two sips, shuddered and had to go back to something I actually liked.

I actually use alcohol a lot in cooking because it burns the actual kick out but leaves a nice and rich flavour behind.

Being French trust me it is a serious "flaw" not to enjoy wine ! I could have my passport taken away and my nationality revoked for such a serius breach of epicurean etiquette !

All my friends drink, some far too much IMO , hubby and I are in a small but growing minority of people who do very well without alcohol.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,516 times
Quote:
that thread about clubbing got me thinking...no offense to the poster of that thread she seems like an alright gal

ive dated girls that dont drink and they almost always seem less adventurous and the more serious type ill ask why they dont drink and theres always some spiel about how they dont need liquor to have fun. ive had fun without and with booze so its never needed but can make for a fun time! and sometimes its nice to just have a single drink with dinner no need to get wasted or anything.

whats up wtih girls that are afraid to even have a single drink?
Its less fear and more personal preference.
Some enjoy drinking others do not.
Some people view liquor as something they do not want in their bodies for purposes of clean consumption,
Others have a religious or moral reason not to drink.
There are those who had a previous bad experience with alcohol and choose not to go there again.
Advice and teaching against drinking can also be a reason why a woman chooses not to imbibe the drink of Dionysius.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
I'm not sure where this idea came from that people who don't drink alcohol are "boring" or "uptight." I don't drink at all because I hate how alcohol tastes and how it makes me feel (makes me feel really sick to my stomach and depressed). I know there are a lot of other people out there who are the same way, so don't treat someone like a weirdo if he/she doesn't drink.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,730 times
I've dated some women who don't drink and it never really was much of an issue. The only ones that made it an issue were the ones who date people with the intent to change them. One girl thought it was "wrong" to drink but said she was cool with other people drinking. What she really meant was that it was wrong for everyone and that her job was to eventually wear me down into believing that.

I don't think it should be an issue as long as the choice, either way, doesn't conflict with the others values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships