Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 02:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Good luck with that.

I know a girl whose parents watched her VERY closely. So what did she do? She started skipping school and got pregnant.

After a certain age, a parent loses control over their child. All you can do is give them the best info and hope they don't hang themselves with it.
You spoke of the pill, and how it enabled girls to have sex with no complications today. Many of the teens I know do not protect themselves. We have an epidemic of teen pregancy and STDs, so it is obvious that they are not responsible enough to engage in sexual activity. Do you have children? Do you honestly think it is ok for 13 year olds to have sex? I can't even imagine adults not wanting young people to value themselves and protect themselves.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i blame that god damn billy ocean and his afro-carribean soul music.
rofl!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:21 PM

857 posts, read 1,422,033 times
It comes back to what I said earlier, its about personal responsibility and dealing with when your child is ready to be treated as an adult. All a parent can hope to do is give them as much knowledge as possible and hope their kid has the maturity to draw the right conclusions. Keeping people pent up to avoid sex leads to worse things (look at the church). But on the other hand we cant have all the 13 year olds getting knocked up.

So just worry about YOUR children, make sure they understand why people tell them not to have sex too early but also explain how its going to be a good thing in the future. At the end of the day, a kid is eventually going to do what he/she wants to do, the trick is having the kids decide that they do not want to have sex too early, not just telling them not to.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

As there is currently enough frozen sperm in existence to keep the human race going for quite some time, I guess men are obsolete.
Then who will open our stuck pickle jars and kill bugs for us?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
It comes back to what I said earlier, its about personal responsibility and dealing with when your child is ready to be treated as an adult. All a parent can hope to do is give them as much knowledge as possible and hope their kid has the maturity to draw the right conclusions. Keeping people pent up to avoid sex leads to worse things (look at the church). But on the other hand we cant have all the 13 year olds getting knocked up.

So just worry about YOUR children, make sure they understand why people tell them not to have sex too early but also explain how its going to be a good thing in the future. At the end of the day, a kid is eventually going to do what he/she wants to do, the trick is having the kids decide that they do not want to have sex too early, not just telling them not to.

You can't pen them up, if that is what you mean, but you can know where they are and who they are with. Just dropping your kid off at the movies to meet whoever shows up is not wise. Taking them to a party, where you do not know the parents is not wise. Knowing who their friends are is a must, and being sure that they are supervised is important. I am talking about young teens here, not 16 and 17 year olds. As the young teens get older, give them as much freedom as they have earned. If they were trustworthy young teens, then they have earned your trust, and they will be able to do more than if they were not trustworthy. Also, one of the problems today is that parents do not act like parents. They say, "What can I do? They are 16." Take the car keys away...drive them to and from every activity, or if they are grounded stick to it, and don't let them go anywhere. Parents need to take control of their kids. Parents are not supposed to be the friend, but they are supposed to be the one in control.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post

However, as much as we walk around pretending there's no difference between boys and girls and worse, pretending there should be no difference -- there still is. There always has been and always will be so long as females carry the babies and males can't. Not "won't" -- CAN'T. Believe me, I'd love nothing more (except a loving and trustworthy partner) than to select an egg donor, fertilize that egg and have a healthy child of MY own without being saddled by a woman -- but that's NOT possible, so discussing it is absolutely POINTLESS.
This is not entirely true...While its true that men will never be pregnant per se, as far as being able to procreate independent of females, the artificial womb is near completion and is scheduled to be available to the public in about 10 years. Otherwise I agree with the rest of your statement.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times
I think the issue is not about girls having sex and enjoy it, but rather the detachment and nonchalance that is often attributed to sexual activity.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but sex still means something to me.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
Actually.... Teen sex is WAY down from the 1980's and 1990's. It actually peaked in the early to mid 90's.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
I dont know about that one...I heard that more teens were just having oral sex instead of intercourse.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
You spoke of the pill, and how it enabled girls to have sex with no complications today. Many of the teens I know do not protect themselves. We have an epidemic of teen pregancy and STDs, so it is obvious that they are not responsible enough to engage in sexual activity. Do you have children? Do you honestly think it is ok for 13 year olds to have sex? I can't even imagine adults not wanting young people to value themselves and protect themselves.
Yeah, do you know what the sex education from the parents consisted of regarding the teen girl who got pregnant?

"Don't have sex."

They didn't arm her with the pill or any info, they just told her not to have sex.

Parents pretending that sex isn't a realistic option for their kids because they don't feel comfortable talking about it end up with pregnant kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships