Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:15 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times

Advertisements

On eHarmony profiles I sometimes see the following mentioned:

"I'm just doing this to make new friends, if I find romance then it's a plus" or something along those lines So, would you consider this an indication that they are not really that serious about finding a partner or a relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
No I don't think they are not looking for a relationship I'd think it's more of an indication they have an out clause in their personal dating contract. For instance maybe you both meet and you like the person and the other person is thinking "boy what a butt monkey" they can say - look I already said I just wanted to make new friends. It definitely says you aren't getting any anytime soon.

Last edited by Thursday007; 05-23-2010 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Sometimes friendship is the end result. But really no one pays money for a dating service to make friends. They want a relationship.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
no, they just wish it would happen more naturally than actually having to depend on a dating sight, so they say they are just looking for friendship and hoping that love hits them like a ton of bricks.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
"I'm just doing this to make new friends, if I find romance then it's a plus" or something along those lines So, would you consider this an indication that they are not really that serious about finding a partner or a relationship?
Maybe they just want things to go slowly. None of that "third date with the expectation of sex" stuff. Maybe their "I'm just doing this to make friends and if I find romance that's a plus" bit is their "disclaimer" that they're not interested in jumping into something hot and heavy right off the bat. (My guess is that they really DO want romance, but just don't want to feel harried about it.)

Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:

it seems like a form of insecurity. they feel too embarssed to admit that they are really looking for a boyfriend on the internet, which some people view as a personal failure of sorts.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
It depends.
If they're new to the area, if they've recently come out of a relationship, and their friends have dumped them, or if they've lost touch with them.

Have you never dated anyone, and you get on great as friends, but not as a couple ?

It's not something i'd be suspicious of.
If you can't be friends, you can't be lovers. maybe they hope one will lead to the other.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 AM

90 posts, read 182,741 times
Quote:

I don't understand that either...maybe they just want casual sex, no strings attached? But why would they pay to use eharmony? If thats what they want, try plentyoffish.com or something! lol. I wouldn't pay any attention to those people with profiles like that. Unless that is what you are looking for as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
It depends.
If they're new to the area, if they've recently come out of a relationship, and their friends have dumped them, or if they've lost touch with them.

Have you never dated anyone, and you get on great as friends, but not as a couple ?

It's not something i'd be suspicious of.
If you can't be friends, you can't be lovers. maybe they hope one will lead to the other.
Dang bobman you are on fire today. I can't rep you again.

I'm a firm believer in that your SO should be a best friend. And with that said their is NOTHING wrong with taking your time. If the person is right for you, you'll have the rest of your lives together.

The biggest mistake I see my friends making, is just rushing into things headfirst. They fall "madly" in love...and ditch all their friends and spend every waking moment with their new BF/GF. Then 3 months later they hate each other.

HUH? What happened to all those vacations you went on, and plans to buy a house together? Oh, you smothered each other.

I want my SO to be one of my Best friends, but I still want to have lots of friends.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkir386 View Post
I don't understand that either...maybe they just want casual sex, no strings attached? But why would they pay to use eharmony? If thats what they want, try plentyoffish.com or something! lol. I wouldn't pay any attention to those people with profiles like that. Unless that is what you are looking for as well.
I'd think that it's just the opposite. By saying "friends first, maybe more" they're saying that just because you answer their ad they're not going to sleep with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships