U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM
 
4,384 posts, read 2,059,450 times
Reputation: 1612

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It is what makes us so different and "vaguely" unique. If stupid people only liked one type of music and "book-learned" people liked one other type of music, we'd be awfully limited to what we can listen to, wouldn't we? Aren't a lot of folks simply interested in and/or opinionated in what they're interested in, simply because it interests or intrigues them? It's a matter of personal opinion, whether it's low-brow or high-brow, isn't it?

Honestly, I'm not looking to be argumentative, but classifications always irritate me just a little, and I do confess that I have done it myself (hangs head in shame)....LOL

Back to the original question at hand though...I'd have to say that having a passion for intelligence in many areas is far more of a turn on than someone who has been "deemed" to be intelligent. Sharing information with intelligent people is stimulating. I love how another person put it, "Verbal intercourse". That even SOUNDS hot!
It's not about uniqueness, but common human interests. Ask most persons what their opinion on any high-brow topic is, and they couldn't offer one.

And it's not a matter of being ashamed to say it, it's because most humans are not oriented that way.

Of course, people are complex, but complexity aside, I would still wager that most persons don't like fine arts, classical music, opera or any other activity commonly deemed high-brow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2010, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
7,990 posts, read 5,490,301 times
Reputation: 19171
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
It's not about uniqueness, but common human interests. Ask most persons what their opinion on any high-brow topic is, and they couldn't offer one.

And it's not a matter of being ashamed to say it, it's because most humans are not oriented that way.

Of course, people are complex, but complexity aside, I would still wager that most persons don't like fine arts, classical music, opera or any other activity commonly deemed high-brow.
Ah.....but my friend, I challenge you to "describe" fine arts! LOL Beauty is, and will always be, in the eye of the beholder. Also, there are many, many different styles of classical music. I would wager that even some of the folks who claim to not like classical music, could find SOME classical music that they do enjoy. Again...."high-brow" means many different things to many different people.....it's all a matter of personal perception my dear.

Again, on a personal level, I love, love, LOVE some classical music. However, there are some arrangements that I can't skip through fast enough. I have seen things which are considered by SOME to be fine art, that make me shudder and shake my head at the classification of it. But......who am I to judge? It's all about personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
12,204 posts, read 12,730,154 times
Reputation: 13624
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
There is quite a good book called the Gentle art of Verbal Self defense, That I reccomend highly to anyone in relationships. It will help out those folks that live in abusive relationship to understand some of the things that are being done to them and how to respond to a verbal aggressor.
Thought this was worth requoting.
Good suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 PM
 
4,384 posts, read 2,059,450 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Ah.....but my friend, I challenge you to "describe" fine arts! LOL Beauty is, and will always be, in the eye of the beholder. Also, there are many, many different styles of classical music. I would wager that even some of the folks who claim to not like classical music, could find SOME classical music that they do enjoy. Again...."high-brow" means many different things to many different people.....it's all a matter of personal perception my dear.

Again, on a personal level, I love, love, LOVE some classical music. However, there are some arrangements that I can't skip through fast enough. I have seen things which are considered by SOME to be fine art, that make me shudder and shake my head at the classification of it. But......who am I to judge? It's all about personal preference.
i think you are translating your own opinions as facts.

If fine art means things such as sculpture, mosaics, theatre, etc. then most don't have an active interest in these. And yes, everything is relative. But relativity differs. To all persons, a Double Whopper from Burger King may look similar, but the taste of it is unique to all persons, even though it has the exact ingredients and preparation.

It's a matter of numbers, demand and human nature. Most persons are mundane, and this is fine. This is one reason why intelligence is prized, and also looked down. It is prized since few genuinely possess, and it's looked down on since it's an anomaly from the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Status: "My ride is here" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: The Plains
6,067 posts, read 5,293,916 times
Reputation: 4287
I like intelligence in people who I think are "one of us". Like the time an attractive, highly intelligent, and a well respected business woman stumbled in public. She laughed put one hand on my shoulder, put her shoe back on with the other hand and didn't miss a beat. now that was sexy, a smart person who is not too taken with them self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 PM
 
Location: NYC area
3,486 posts, read 3,436,711 times
Reputation: 3747
MattB4: Rhetoric, shmetorick. Your whole argument boils down to this: that I am saying what I am not really saying, and I am saying something different from what I'm really saying in order to make people believe that I am not saying what I'm saying. And to abuse you. In other words, it's nonsense. Bottom line, I described extremely bad writing as evidence of not reading; in no way, shape or form can a reasonable and unbiased person interpret that to mean that an occasional spelling error is tantamount to an inability to read. If you choose to interpret that in such a patently nonsensical manner, it's a reflection on you, not me.

You claim that my words don't reflect what I am thinking, and that you know what's really in my head. Moreover, you've taken a reasonable and innocuous criticism of poor writing skills, a statement that did not, even in the vaguest fashion, refer to any specific poster -- and proceeded to insinuate that it constitutes aggression, abuse and borderline criminal conduct. (Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it's merely after your fashion.) And you have the gall to call me arrogant? Here is an idea for you: aggression, abuse and criminal acts are all against the rules of this forum. If you really believe that this is what I've done, report me to the moderators, call 911, sound all the alarms. My take on it, however, is that you are simply being malicious. And note -- that's giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you have the mental capacity for posturing.

Last edited by Redisca; 05-24-2010 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Corydon, IN
2,985 posts, read 2,405,513 times
Reputation: 5637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I see you are skilled in Verbal Judo yourself.

The use of "ENOUGH people", "Quite honestly, if", "people are entitled" and the really good use of "the tendency people at large have" are making use of several higher verbal sparring modes (much beyond the simpler modes discussed in the book I mentioned). Trained in Rhetoric or just natuarly talented? I think I would be wise to not take on a opponent of your caliber.

I just will stick to beating up the defenseless.

Not trained in any such thing; that's simply the way I speak and think. Curiously, however, I do NOT relish debate. Instead I relish either information presented for consideration OR out-and-out problem-solving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 PM
 
Location: NYC area
3,486 posts, read 3,436,711 times
Reputation: 3747
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have to note the Russian gals all are "for" a brainy guy.
There is a lot of truth to this. I would qualify that by saying, though, that there are different attitudes towards brainy people in the Russian society, and there is some reactionary anti-intellectualism, concerned with intelligent and/or educated people's supposed lack of earthiness. It was particularly strong in the 1930's and 1940's -- so much so, that much of Russia's intellectual class was driven out or exterminated outright. However, the fact that so many Russian women today still swoon over nerds () is a testament to just how ineradicably strong that culture's respect for intellectuals is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Beautiful New England
2,412 posts, read 4,679,809 times
Reputation: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
However, the fact that so many Russian women today still swoon over nerds () is a testament to just how ineradicably strong that culture's respect for intellectuals is.
Nothing wrong with this -- we intellectual nerds need love too, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
7,990 posts, read 5,490,301 times
Reputation: 19171
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
i think you are translating your own opinions as facts.

If fine art means things such as sculpture, mosaics, theatre, etc. then most don't have an active interest in these. And yes, everything is relative. But relativity differs. To all persons, a Double Whopper from Burger King may look similar, but the taste of it is unique to all persons, even though it has the exact ingredients and preparation.

It's a matter of numbers, demand and human nature. Most persons are mundane, and this is fine. This is one reason why intelligence is prized, and also looked down. It is prized since few genuinely possess, and it's looked down on since it's an anomaly from the norm.
LOL....i think you are translating your own opinions as facts.

My personal opinions about my preferences ARE facts...LOL Perhaps you should re-read that statement while looking in the mirror. Also, I believe you are simply re-stating my own words in the "Whopper" analogy. Where we greatly disagree is in your statement of "most persons being mundane". I vehemently disagree, however, you are entitled to your own opinions. I find very few people to be "mundane" and high intelligence is not as rare you you might think. Most of the highly intelligent people whom I have been blessed with knowing, are relatively unknown but to their closest and dearest friends. They have absolutely no desire for limelight or publicity, but are simply content to be who they are. They see nothing whatsoever spectacular about their wisdom and intelligence. They simply are who they are.....who they were born to be. Unfortunately, that is a circumstance that some simply cannot understand, no matter how hard they try.

Last edited by beachmel; 05-24-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top