Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:59 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times

Advertisements

I'm different I guess b/c I have dated girls who are somewhat curvy/thick & didn't have a problem with it. I've been on the receiving end of "dating discrimination" so many times b/c of my height, so I can totally relate.

The only thing that is a dealbreaker to me, at least right off the bat is someone who's a smoker. I tried kissing a girl that smoked once & I had to back off right away b/c I thought I was gonna throw up in her mouth lol it was gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 01:34 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Texas User -- I wouldn't worry too much about "hurting them emotionally" by not dating certain women. They'll manage, somehow, to get over their loss.

In the online dating world, the most painless, efficient way to disengage with someone that you are no longer interested in is to:

1) Say something nice.
2) Tell them the bad news.
3) Say something nice.

Example: "You sound like an interesting person. However, I do not think we are a good match. I wish you well in your search! Good luck!"

Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Don't feel bad, I won't date students, men who earn less than I do or lack education, or a guy with a small d*ck. We're all entitled to our preferences.
How do you determine this before it's too late?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I would assume, the stress, that a woman is near worthless unless she is a size 4.
so, they are not strong enough to withstand social pressures? Or they cannot base their self-worth in other areas?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM

202 posts, read 484,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Why do you feel bad? You are entitled to your preferences. Just as women are.

I wouldn't date a man who smoked, who was not financially stable, who did not open doors for me, who complained about paying child support from a previous marriage, who owned more than one dog, who made less money than I do, or any number of other things. Those were some of my preferences.

I think it's okay to have preferences..to a certain degree. If a person worked hard on their body, and kept in shape, and they wanted someone to do the same, I can understand that. Because it's hard to control what PHYSICALLY attracts you sometimes. Im not overweight, but regardless, every guy in the world is not going to look at me and find me "hot". That's just the way it is. Physically attraction is what it is.

However, some other things just look kind of shallow to me. Now, to the person who wrote the above post, please dont get too pissed at me that im using your post as am example. You have the right to set whatever preferences you have. But for me, saying I wouldnt date someone who made less money than me, or having more than one dog, is leading into being a bit "picky".

Is it THAT bad that a guy makes $5,000 a year less than you if he has a good, respectable job and is a hard worker? Is a guy who seems to be an absolute sweetheart, has a good job, and opens doors for you, doesnt smoke, seems to want a steady relationship, now all of a sudden no good because you find out he has TWO dogs instead of one??

I guess what I'm asking is, just how far do people take these "list of preferences"? Are these preferences "deal breakers " or no?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 AM

496 posts, read 941,004 times
Alternately, it sounds like you think you'd be doing them a favor, OP, if you widened the net. Believe me, they'll find someone who loves them and doesn't think they're doing them a favor. So, no, please do not do anyone any favors.

Why are you second-guessing your desires anyway? I'm shameless, but then I like personalities. Uniqueness.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:32 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Don't feel bad, I won't date students, men who earn less than I do or lack education, or a guy with a small d*ck. We're all entitled to our preferences.
In this economy, job security is not easy. What kind of Education are we talking about?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Texas User -- I wouldn't worry too much about "hurting them emotionally" by not dating certain women. They'll manage, somehow, to get over their loss.

In the online dating world, the most painless, efficient way to disengage with someone that you are no longer interested in is to:

1) Say something nice.
2) Tell them the bad news.
3) Say something nice.

Example: "You sound like an interesting person. However, I do not think we are a good match. I wish you well in your search! Good luck!"
The auto-generated pre-printed rejection letter, lol.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
How do you determine this before it's too late?
She will have her measuring device with her, lol.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
I think it's okay to have preferences..to a certain degree. If a person worked hard on their body, and kept in shape, and they wanted someone to do the same, I can understand that. Because it's hard to control what PHYSICALLY attracts you sometimes. Im not overweight, but regardless, every guy in the world is not going to look at me and find me "hot". That's just the way it is. Physically attraction is what it is.

However, some other things just look kind of shallow to me. Now, to the person who wrote the above post, please dont get too pissed at me that im using your post as am example. You have the right to set whatever preferences you have. But for me, saying I wouldnt date someone who made less money than me, or having more than one dog, is leading into being a bit "picky".

Is it THAT bad that a guy makes $5,000 a year less than you if he has a good, respectable job and is a hard worker? Is a guy who seems to be an absolute sweetheart, has a good job, and opens doors for you, doesnt smoke, seems to want a steady relationship, now all of a sudden no good because you find out he has TWO dogs instead of one??

I guess what I'm asking is, just how far do people take these "list of preferences"? Are these preferences "deal breakers " or no?
I work hard for my body for many many years and with a healthy diet.

In this economy, job security is tough to come by. Almost everyone had ups and downs financially. To me, how they budget their finances is important and what they do with the money they earn. Making a lot of money is obselete to me when they are spending more then they earn or have no long financial goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships