Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:25 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times

Advertisements

Opting out of women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
I dont codnone what some Men do but keep in mind not every guy automatically asssumes anything a Man has to do all the approaching and put his neck on the line so if hes intersted hes eventually gonna make a move so because of that some of you ladies might have to deal with a unattractive Men hitting on you at times*gasp*

So yes if a unattratcive Man hitting on you will ruin your night then yes go back to the ***** shield by all means so only good looking Men enter your area and the ugly ones no from the begining they dont deserve to be in your presence..

Last edited by JBT1980; 05-23-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
I used to think it was a low self-esteem thing, but it happens so often that I think the problem is beyond that. Like another poster said, women are taught to be nice. In my family, I was taught to be nice and pretty much treat men like they can't do anything for themselves....so that's what I do. It is always mistaken for something it isn't. The funny thing is when they realize that I'm not into them...they treat me like I did something wrong to them LOL. I am learning to lighten up with treating men like they're helpless...hope it helps!

You can't win. A guy was lurking in the hallway and asked me sotto voce if I wanted help with my bags. He looked like one of those creepy insects on the Orkin commercials. I told him 'no'. I got on my elevator and he tried to jump on with me at the last minute. I kicked him the hell off! It was all I could do to curse him out because I'm sick of these dirtbag guys with no respect for anything a woman says and I'm seriously on the verge of punching somebody out! It's like I have to travel with my boyfriend as a bodyguard to be left alone. It sometimes feels like there are far more predators in the world than men.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:58 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Does anyone think this sort of behavior is more common with men that are blue collar? My husband works in skilled trades and spends half his day with the engineers at work and the other half with the guys on the floor. He tells me stories all the time about how the guys on the floor assume all the women in the plant want them.

For example, a really cute 23 yr old recently got hired as an engineer. She walks the floor sometimes and will wave to people as she walks through. My husband was standing next to one of the guys on the floor. As the girl walked by and waved, the guy said to my husband. "Ohhhh yaaaa..she wants me BIG time." Okay, this guy is like 54 yrs old, is missing teeth and is obese and he doesn't have a good personality either. My husband asked this guy how he knew this woman "wanted him". The guy said he could tell by the way she waved to him. My husband this woman waved like you would to a neighbor or mailman. He said he doesn't hear this kind of talk from the guys in the engineering department. So either they keep it to themselves or have a enough sense that a 23 year old isn't going to be interested in an old dude.

Last edited by fallingwater; 05-23-2010 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
So men, is that true?

No, that assertion is WAY off. I neither act like that nor assume that any woman who does is interested in me. In fact, I assume that no woman is interested in me. If I am somehow proven wrong, I am pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,162 times
Why do women assume that if a man isn't nice to her that he likes her?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, that assertion is WAY off. I neither act like that nor assume that any woman who does is interested in me. In fact, I assume that no woman is interested in me. If I am somehow proven wrong, I am pleasantly surprised.
So you're saying if you meet a woman and she is nice, friendly, interested about your life, and asks you to go do something (golf, a movie, etc), you would not think she was interested in you?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Simple,

Becuase most women make it a habit not to be nice to you if they don't like you.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So you're saying if you meet a woman and she is nice, friendly, interested about your life, and asks you to go do something (golf, a movie, etc), you would not think she was interested in you?

Our definitions of "nice" must be very different. Not everybody who is nice asks you to do activities or spend time/hang out with them.

Most of the folks in this discussion are talking about friendly and pleasant gestures such as waving, saying hello and making small talk and those friendly gestures being misread.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,953 times
I think it really depends on the guy and/or the circumstances. By default most of us are taught to be courteous, smile back when you're smiled at, say hello if you're greeted and just generally be friendly and nice.

You learn very quickly that some men take that as an opening or an invitation for something more and you have to make adjustments to your behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships