Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I thought you called the vanilla gorilla's zoo master smart coz he avoids the drama from the cage

HAHAHAHAHA - NO! I was saying if a man is smart he avoids a woman like this in the first place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
He's emotionally distant from you and not willing to open up to you. What's more, he just practices avoidance rather than dealing with the problem head on. In other words, he's got problems.

I don't know what you've said about this guy in the past (haven't followed it to be honest with you) but clearly there are serious problems. Why do you stay? If you're a responsible woman with a reasonable level of intelligence and are somewhat attractive then you can find another guy.
I think it's a self esteem issue. I have never had much self confidence... in fact little to none... He says things sometimes, and even though they are in a joking way they make me think. For example if I take my shoes off and my feet smell lol, he says 'who else is going to love you with feet like that?' and I wonder yes, who? It sounds ludicrous but it's how I feel.

That's what I've realised recently as well (re the emotional thing you mentioned), we get on so well but he just isn't there emotionally either... it's hard.

Quote:
How in the world did you even end up in a situation where you are totally dependent on this emotionally aggressive man. I also realize he is far older than you are
I look back on our time together and wonder that myself. I was basically a kid when we started dating, he was a fully grown man. I allowed myself to be moulded and shaped, and now I am finding it very hard to think for myself and be clear and confident about my feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Saying "I'm upset" is a much easier way to approach the situation.
Haha trust me, tried it. Tried it ALL.

Quote:
Also, deja vu.

Them who poach the trophies. It's always the same. Can't have daddy and boyfriend in the same person

The silent treatment - a way of cooling off or abuse?
17 year age gap has become a problem for me after 5 years of dating
Holy crap.
Is this girl still around???

Old 05-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
HAHAHAHAHA - NO! I was saying if a man is smart he avoids a woman like this in the first place
A woman like what?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
A woman like what?
She didn't mean you, I think she made a general statement.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
She didn't mean you, I think she made a general statement.
Oh.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
I think it's a self esteem issue. I have never had much self confidence... in fact little to none... He says things sometimes, and even though they are in a joking way they make me think. For example if I take my shoes off and my feet smell lol, he says 'who else is going to love you with feet like that?' and I wonder yes, who? It sounds ludicrous but it's how I feel.
OK, so you've made the most important first step: recognizing the problem.

Next time he says that remark, remember this response: You may react and initially think, "yes, who?" But from now on think, "Somebody will becasue I'm smart/good looking/wrote a book/have a good job/have a nice body/suck a good d*ck/have nice friends/look good in red/play the flute well/have a good sense of humor/know a lot about computers/etc., etc."

Don't let his crap make you think that you don't have something going for you.

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:

Haha trust me, tried it. Tried it ALL.
You haven't tried it all until you've left him!

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
A woman like what?
A woman prone to drama of course

Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
I don't do drama; I hate it. I am a woman and have been told by my ex that I practice avoidance. Maybe I do, but I am a very happy person, and I am not going to waste part of my life griping or listening to someone gripe. Also, I don't really think you want advice, or you would have listened to the things you have been told in the past. When you have actually had enough, you will leave. However, if you expect someone to make you happy, you are looking for the wrong thing. Only you can make yourself happy, and it is a choice. You can choose to be happy or choose to be unhappy, and if this man doesn't do it for you, find another one.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Sometimes I feel as though my boyfriend only ever wants to be around me when I am happy, laughing and positive.

Whenever I am upset or angry he completely shuts down. Doesn't want to talk about it, doesn't have time for it etc etc. If I say 'we need to talk' or 'can we talk about this' he usually just rolls his eyes and walks away, or gives me his attention, but with a filthy 'just hurry up and get whatever you want to say over with' look on his face. If we have an argument before bed he just rolls over and goes to sleep, despite me telling him I don't want us to go to bed angry. I usually cry myself to sleep!

I feel like we have a lot of unresolved issues and I hold in pretty much everything when it comes to my feelings.

Aren't relationships meant to be about taking the good with the bad?

As Marilyn Monroe once said "If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best"!

P.S. please don't base your answers on my previous threads. Things have taken a bit of a turn lately and I'd just like some opinions on this current situation.. Ladies have you ever had a man do this to you? Guys, do ALL men behave like this?

Part of it could be the reasons you are upset, part of it is him.

Often times, in a relationship, both parties are at fault. Take a good long hard look at yourself, before casting doubt on him.

I've been with women before where the least little thing would set them off. I'll forget to put water in the milk glass, and OMG, its the end of the freaking world.

Often times, there is some other reason that is really irritating you, and you take it out on him.

And, there is the "cry wolf" aspect too. How often to you get upset with him?

My advice, back off for a good long while. You're already having to suck it up and deal with it now, whats a month of not complaining going to do?

Then, after a good long wait, sit him down in a non confrontational manner, and discuss any real issues you've come up with.

Thats my advice. I'm not saying your wrong or right, neither am I saying the same about him.

If its meant to work out, it will. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships