Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times

Advertisements

LOL. I was stung by a bee (on my palm ) when I was about four or five . Spiders ? Just look at my profile.And Chowhound, I do the rubbish , too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 AM

LOL, Robee. I was stung on the palm when I was four or five. I take out the rubbish, Chowhound.Spiders ? Not a problem (see my profile) .

Old 05-28-2010, 10:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
In our household we both are comfortable dealing with the spiders or ants. Our problem is that we are two of the biggest wusses when it comes to bees & hornets.

When we lived abroad, a big hornet got into our apartment. My husband thought a quick whack with a towel from a distance of 5+ ft would be sufficient. Problem was he missed or didn't whack him hard enough and then we were left with one pretty pissed off hornet. He was bouncing and hitting windows and walls.

We both ran out into the hallway practically half-dressed, sneaking peeks in through the door, hoping he would finally calm down. When he finally settled on a final resting place, we strategized and debated how we were going to get rid of him. Ten minutes into this debate, a friendly old lady from next door came out to see what the noise in the hallway was. When we told her, she walked inside to within a foot of him, removed her flip-flop and whacked him good. End of story.

I actually love Bees , wasps and hornets are a little too aggressive though. I have spent quite a lot of time recently trying to ensure our garden is appealing to different varieties of bees and bumble bees as they are in serious danger of becoming almost extinct and a third of our food is dependent on them so pretty crucial to our own survival.

Hornets are really not pleasant creatures and wasps are just annoying. Bees though are fascinating creatures and I am even thinking og getting a small beehive. So far we have a solitary bees "house" and a Bumble bee one in our garden. It's lovely to see all of them pollinating our flowers.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
LOL, Robee. I was stung on the palm when I was four or five. I take out the rubbish, Chowhound.Spiders ? Not a problem (see my profile) .
Nice snake Gudra, although you couldn't pay me to hold one

Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I actually love Bees , wasps and hornets are a little too aggressive though. I have spent quite a lot of time recently trying to ensure our garden is appealing to different varieties of bees and bumble bees as they are in serious danger of becoming almost extinct and a third of our food is dependent on them so pretty crucial to our own survival.

Hornets are really not pleasant creatures and wasps are just annoying. Bees though are fascinating creatures and I am even thinking og getting a small beehive. So far we have a solitary bees "house" and a Bumble bee one in our garden. It's lovely to see all of them pollinating our flowers.
I can appreciate them, but from a distance.

What you said though, reminded me of my late grandmother. She was her happiest in her garden and had a great love and respect for animals, more than for almost any human.

I think she spent more money and effort feeding and caring for stray and hurt animals than she did on herself.

Since she passed away 11 years ago, I don't know why but every time I see a butterfly I think of her.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
I can appreciate them, but from a distance.

What you said though, reminded me of my late grandmother. She was her happiest in her garden and had a great love and respect for animals, more than for almost any human.

I think she spent more money and effort feeding and caring for stray and hurt animals than she did on herself.

Since she passed away 11 years ago, I don't know why but every time I see a butterfly I think of her.

What a lovely post !

Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
I do most of the cleaning, all the laundry, but we do share our cooking responsibilities. He cooks his healthy veggie stuff and I'll cook the meat so it works out well. He does most of the food shopping, as I get too carried away.
Overall, I'm fine with the way things are divided.

PS: feeding his snake is HIS responsibility.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Nice snake Gudra, although you couldn't pay me to hold one
Hey, I had to pay 2 Euros for it ! Thanks. Did you see where its tail was curled round ? Its handler said no one had ever done it in that position.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:59 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Windex is my ant-killer of choice. Maybe it's the ammonia? When it's hot out, they like to come inside. I spray them with Windex, which kills or stuns them so I can wipe them up and flush them.

We also get large black ants occasionally. They live on the peonies. I hate those bastards. They approach the size of smallish spiders. When I have to kill 20 of them in my kitchen, I am not happy.
Probably is the ammonia, cheap soap is the best bug killer. If commercial pesticides worked we would of killed 'em off in the 50's back when you could still get the good stuff.
I use a single cleaner called an organic quat to do all the chores, windows, bathrooms, kitchen floors. and to kill bugs.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post

PS: feeding his snake is HIS responsibility.
With a hot wife like you!?!? Your poor husband. That's just wrong!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships