U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM

3,536 posts, read 4,464,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Not afraid...
Just annoyed.
Want to snoop?
Snoop on your next boyfriend.
I'm also seeing a pattern. Those who snoop on others don't like it done to them.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM

2,985 posts, read 2,399,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I'm also seeing a pattern. Those who snoop on others don't like it done to them.

THERE YOU GO!

I've noticed that people who tend to exhibit blatantly offensive behaviours loathe the taste of their own medicine.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:46 PM

8,494 posts, read 14,421,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Snooping tells me the following:

1. You don't respect my boundaries.

2. You're either an inherently suspicious person or you don't trust me and don't have the maturity to present your concerns to me.

3. You have a problem with patience and impulse control: You want information now, now, NOW, instead of taking your time and getting to know me over the natural course of a relationship.

4. You want to be in control of the relationship and have an "advantage" by knowing more about me than I do about you.

5. You have too much time on your hands and need to get a hobby--or a life.
In general, that's how I feel about snooping. I don't do it and I don't want it done to me either. My life is a pretty open book, if anything, I'm too open.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM

19,997 posts, read 15,333,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Bravo. I'll add 6. You probably have a guilty conscience and something to hide yourself.

No one is entitled to know anything about me that I am not willing to share. And people who do this typically come with a lot of baggage and drama. I'll pass.
I agree. That seems to have been the case for me.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:20 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,591,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
THERE YOU GO!

I've noticed that people who tend to exhibit blatantly offensive behaviours loathe the taste of their own medicine.
Not really... I don't snoop so I expect the same treatment in return. If not, then maybe the next girlfriend might tolerate that behavior but not me.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Not really... I don't snoop so I expect the same treatment in return. If not, then maybe the next girlfriend might tolerate that behavior but not me.

Did you just "disagree" with me by stating that you operate via IN-offensive parameters and therefore expect inoffensive behaviour in return?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:32 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,591,161 times
Quote:
Did you just "disagree" with me by stating that you operate via IN-offensive parameters and therefore expect inoffensive behaviour in return?
I'm not sure what you're trying to get with your complicated phrase. I simply meant there should be trust and communication in a relationship... not sneaking around on their stuff behind their backs (snooping around). I don't do that as it's a waste of time and energy. Why be in a relationship in the first place?

So if I don't do that... why should I tolerate it being done on me?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Never mind. My bad.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM

6,767 posts, read 7,529,894 times
Quote:
Never mind. My bad.

Your bad what?

I never will understand that phrase - and actually, I hope I never DO get it.

BTW, I'm pretty good at deciphering anti-phrasing but that one threw me!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Okay, since it's thrown not one person but two, I'll explain:

thebobs remarked that he's noticed a pattern, said pattern consisting of those who snoop NOT liking anyone to snoop on them in return. I'm paraphrasing, but that is what he'd noticed.

I then said "I've noticed that people who tend to exhibit blatantly offensive behaviours loathe the taste of their own medicine."

I've emboldened the most pertinent portions of the sentence, hopefully for clarity's sake: People who exhibit offensive behaviours loathe their own medicine. This means someone who behaves badly hates that same behaviour practiced upon them.

Sunflower_lol then quoted my statement and followed with this:
Quote:
This clearly means that she does NOT snoop (an IN-offensive behaviour) and expects reciprocal inoffensive behaviour. However, she stated herself as disagreeing with me, using the words "not really..."

This is comparable to me saying Birds like to eat worms and someone retorting with That's not true. I'm not a bird and I don't like to eat worms.

Which is why I asked whether she had just disagreed with my statement about the conduct of offensive people and their not enjoying reciprocal behaviour by stating herself as an inoffensive person and saying she didn't enjoy offensive behaviour.

When it became clear with her next post that my meaning had escaped entirely:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to get with your complicated phrase. I simply meant there should be trust and communication in a relationship... not sneaking around on their stuff behind their backs (snooping around). I don't do that as it's a waste of time and energy. Why be in a relationship in the first place?

So if I don't do that... why should I tolerate it being done on me?
...I dropped the matter. However, having another person state confusion over the same phrase has brought up the need for clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships