Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 01:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Can't argue with that.

To address something from a different post (not yours, US), there is no 'foot putting down' in our family whatsoever. I know some people think it's inevitable that someone in a couple has to step up as the leader. I think that's a bunch of crap perpetuated by power-hungry traditionalists.
Leadership has moved on from putting the foot down to choosing a restaurant because one spouse doesn't want to be bothered making the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
But it's not the nature of people to simply act without even the simplest guidance. Look at informal groups of people who get together to complete virtually any project, watch how there will be round-table-variety discussion and then when all is settled folks will kind of mill about until someone finally claps their hands or raises their voice and says "Okay, let's get TO it!"

Those almost-seamless partnerships are great when they happen, whether marital or merely any given partnership -- but they're very, very, very rare. More often than not someone IS in charge.
I see what you mean about the group situation with projects (been there, done that), but that really isn't the same thing as TWO people who love each other and are committed to each other and a life plan.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
I see what you mean about the group situation with projects (been there, done that), but that really isn't the same thing as TWO people who love each other and are committed to each other and a life plan.
Agree. Equating group dynamics with a 2-person partnership -- a family -- doesn't cut. One person always clapping hands in a partnership equals power-hungry traditionalism. And the fact that there are still many people accepting it, doesn't make it right. At some point, the majority accepted that blacks should have separate entrances, schools and be called the N word. It didn't make it right.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I would disagree with this, but NOT because I don't think it SHOULD be correct. I'd much, much rather it was and I have to agree there are a few couples and/or households out there where such a thing isn't necessary.

But it's not the nature of people to simply act without even the simplest guidance. Look at informal groups of people who get together to complete virtually any project, watch how there will be round-table-variety discussion and then when all is settled folks will kind of mill about until someone finally claps their hands or raises their voice and says "Okay, let's get TO it!"

And then, as though given permission, everyone will go do their respective job.

Those almost-seamless partnerships are great when they happen, whether marital or merely any given partnership -- but they're very, very, very rare. More often than not someone IS in charge.
That is the kind of thing that is going to cause strife in a marriage. Having to motivate a partner to take care of his/her business is not a good position to be in. Every clap of the hand would clap a way respect bit by bit. I wouldn't be surprised if a segment of poor marriages contend with those issues.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:25 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:

It certainly shouldn't be. Then again, the couple you're describing is generally successful as a couple, successful in the relationship. Men aren't worried about women not pulling their weight, women aren't worried about men being layabout leeches -- not in those couples. In those couples they're just worried about what they can bring to the table and they TRUST the other person to hold up their end of the bargain.

But how many of those are there? And how many people in general out there act with any degree of sense?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Agree. Equating group dynamics with a 2-person partnership -- a family -- doesn't cut. One person always clapping hands in a partnership equals power-hungry traditionalism. And the fact that there are still many people accepting it, doesn't make it right. At some point, the majority accepted that blacks should have separate entrances, schools and be called the N word. It didn't make it right.

DOES is always mean power-hungry traditionalism? Always?

Doesn't it ever mean one person is frustrated by an actual lack of action on the part of the other person?

I think my response to Stan4 addresses this adequately.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
It certainly shouldn't be. Then again, the couple you're describing is generally successful as a couple, successful in the relationship. Men aren't worried about women not pulling their weight, women aren't worried about men being layabout leeches -- not in those couples. In those couples they're just worried about what they can bring to the table and they TRUST the other person to hold up their end of the bargain.

But how many of those are there? And how many people in general out there act with any degree of sense?
Oh, I don't argue with the idea that there are few people/couples like that out there. But if people keep putting up with and perpetuating attitudes and stereotypes like smrtalx (sp?), it's never going to get any better.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Oh, I don't argue with the idea that there are few people/couples like that out there. But if people keep putting up with and perpetuating attitudes and stereotypes like smrtalx (sp?), it's never going to get any better.

Inarguable. But at the moment we're not talking about what will make it all better, we're talking about what is.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Even with lazy people abound, I'm still not sure where rights come into play. He has the right to lead, clap? whatever. Why?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Even with lazy people abound, I'm still not sure where rights come into play. He has the right to lead, clap? whatever. Why?

Hold it, B -- reassess.

I never, ever said he.

I said someone.

The fact that you resent it and automatically apply the pronoun HE when I never said that... hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships