U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2010, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,206 posts, read 4,405,995 times
Reputation: 4108
I guess I fall into the "screwy" category . I'm no drug addict nor do I have any personality disorder, but I can be very shy, and I'm religious/spiritual, but not particularly "mainstream" in my beliefs.

Online dating did not prove to be for me, although it's still tempting. I found a lot of interesting, attractive men with common interests, so it seemed good at first, but I had a hard time finding those traits and compatible values/beliefs/goals. My ex boyfriend was someone I ended up meeting through mutual friends, and we had all of those in common. Even though he turned out to not be for me in the long run, it's made me realize that patience can go farther in finding someone of quality to date than online profiles which bring immediate options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
 
7,490 posts, read 8,104,973 times
Reputation: 6253
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Even though he turned out to not be for me in the long run, it's made me realize that patience can go farther in finding someone of quality to date than online profiles which bring immediate options.
I think it's important to remember that online dating is just a tool. Patience is certainly a virtue, but sometimes people just need more ways of meeting new people. You may not find the right person online. But the point is that it enables you to meet people you might not have met otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,206 posts, read 4,405,995 times
Reputation: 4108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think it's important to remember that online dating is just a tool. Patience is certainly a virtue, but sometimes people just need more ways of meeting new people. You may not find the right person online. But the point is that it enables you to meet people you might not have met otherwise.
I get the point...I just didn't find it to work for me. I would still suggest it to other people because, yes, it is a good tool for meeting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 PM
 
1,212 posts, read 1,246,380 times
Reputation: 1194
I did online dating after I graduated from college and moved to an area where I didn't know anyone. I got plenty of messages from girls I had no interest in (non-compatible personalities, not physically attracted to, single mothers, etc.), but of the ones I messaged only about 1/3 responded back. And even the ones where we hit it off through messages and really got to know each other, there was always a reluctance to break the virtual barrier and actually go on a date or at least meet in person.

After a year of screwing around with online dating and having no luck, I met my girlfriend at a wedding. She ended up moving to my city after graduation. We've been together for over a year and I couldn't have found a better companion. I don't think I would ever do online dating again...I felt like it was a waste of time and there is so little desire with most online daters to move beyond the stage of sending messages back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM
 
8,681 posts, read 7,303,319 times
Reputation: 14924
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I've met people off facebook and forums.
*cough*

I met my SO through a bird forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 AM
 
7,490 posts, read 8,104,973 times
Reputation: 6253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I don't think I would ever do online dating again...I felt like it was a waste of time and there is so little desire with most online daters to move beyond the stage of sending messages back and forth.
I don't think it has anything to do with the fact they were online. More likely those people would've been equally hesitant in the offline world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
 
16,623 posts, read 13,562,592 times
Reputation: 11444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I did online dating after I graduated from college and moved to an area where I didn't know anyone. I got plenty of messages from girls I had no interest in (non-compatible personalities, not physically attracted to, single mothers, etc.), but of the ones I messaged only about 1/3 responded back. And even the ones where we hit it off through messages and really got to know each other, there was always a reluctance to break the virtual barrier and actually go on a date or at least meet in person.

After a year of screwing around with online dating and having no luck, I met my girlfriend at a wedding. She ended up moving to my city after graduation. We've been together for over a year and I couldn't have found a better companion. I don't think I would ever do online dating again...I felt like it was a waste of time and there is so little desire with most online daters to move beyond the stage of sending messages back and forth.
your experience is like mine.

girls that are dateable are not that difficult to find in bars, at parties, social events, et cetera. It isn't hard to meet someone attractive, who shows some attraction to you, who is willing to sit and talk.. typically the difficult part is the direction of the conversation itself, since you often know very little about one another. Oftentimes, if they aren't wacko, they're coy, shy, unintelligent, unreasonable, obnoxious, no sense of humor... or generally something that presents a barrier to making a mental connection, and relating to the person.

Online, this is turned on its head. The mental connection is the easy part. There are tons of people who I think I'd enjoy spending (nonsexual) time with; the hard part is finding someone attractive, who is then willing to meet you.

So my opinion is that online dating is more suited for the unconventional and/or introverted types. Extroverted types, or people who operate very much within "the norm" of society don't stand to benefit as much from online dating.

Last edited by le roi; 10-19-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 PM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,055,434 times
Reputation: 2506
Default Onling Dating

Online dating is a drag.

I am not a druggie, a dopehead, etc.
I am educated, clean, and just looking for someone sane to date.
I have been told I am attractive ( I would say moderately) and can carry on a conversation.

But, I get men rejecting me because I am "too old", but I have been told all the time I look young for my age. So I go look at THEIR picture, and they look like "grandpa". So what is up with that?

I noticed the men just go through the profile and find one thing they can reject you for. I had "2001: A Space Odyssey" as my favorite movie, and would you believe I actually got messages saying that "bothered" them?

What is the matter with people? Can't they look at a basic profile and decide to make decent contact with someone? That ONE picture isn't enough to judge someone on? And they all say they aren't superficial and want something deep...

I don't see the point of writing about "wine-tasting" or "the beach" on a profile unless that is your huge hangup.

I think most on those sites are married. It makes no sense for someone to just reject you, when you live close to them and you are their age. You'd think they'd want to contact you and see if there is something there. I don't believe they are looking for dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 PM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,055,434 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I did online dating after I graduated from college and moved to an area where I didn't know anyone. I got plenty of messages from girls I had no interest in (non-compatible personalities, not physically attracted to, single mothers, etc.), but of the ones I messaged only about 1/3 responded back. And even the ones where we hit it off through messages and really got to know each other, there was always a reluctance to break the virtual barrier and actually go on a date or at least meet in person.

After a year of screwing around with online dating and having no luck, I met my girlfriend at a wedding. She ended up moving to my city after graduation. We've been together for over a year and I couldn't have found a better companion. I don't think I would ever do online dating again...I felt like it was a waste of time and there is so little desire with most online daters to move beyond the stage of sending messages back and forth.

I agree, but from a woman's point of view. I don't care about "winks". I am convinced that the only way to meet someone real is in real life. Who knows why these people are on dating sites? It seems some just want to reject others on a massive scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
173 posts, read 239,431 times
Reputation: 119
11. Women who move to a new city and want to meet new people and hang out in the new city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top