Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times

Advertisements

I don't have an opinion as to whether it's natural or unnatural (I do think it's best). I've no interest in debating over what's natural, really, because I don't think it matters. But...

I don't agree with using the argument "Look at all the cheating!" to support one's opinion that monogamy is unnatural. We don't think like that about, well, anything else at all. Quite simply, it could be said that those who cheat are deviating from what's natural. Then what? You have to come up with another argument. So why not just start there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I don't have an opinion as to whether it's natural or unnatural (I do think it's best). I've no interest in debating over what's natural, really, because I don't think it matters. But...

I don't agree with using the argument "Look at all the cheating!" to support one's opinion that monogamy is unnatural. We don't think like that about, well, anything else at all. Quite simply, it could be said that those who cheat are deviating from what's natural. Then what? You have to come up with another argument. So why not just start there?
You said it!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:39 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
I look at it being the "Ideal". One that few people reach as evident by divorces, break ups and infidelity that most of the population goes through.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post

If you start with a flawed premise (the one you propose), you'll arrive at flawed results. Anyway, there are many biological, genetic, physiological, anatomical, social, anthropological, and other varieties of evidence to effectively prove that humans are not monogamous. Monogamy is a socio-cultural invention, and it can work very well for some people. Most people have to be forced to observe this convention, however, so while monogamy may be widely accepted, that does not make it natural. It may be desirable for many or even most people, but I don't think it should be forced on anyone.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
If you start with a flawed premise (the one you propose), you'll arrive at flawed results. Anyway, there are many biological, genetic, physiological, anatomical, social, anthropological, and other varieties of evidence to effectively prove that humans are not monogamous. Monogamy is a socio-cultural invention, and it can work very well for some people. Most people have to be forced to observe this convention, however, so while monogamy may be widely accepted, that does not make it natural. It may be desirable for many or even most people, but I don't think it should be forced on anyone.
Exactly how can one enforce monogamy on another?

From a biological standpoint, no, men are not developed for monogamy.

For those who do not wish to monogamous, do not take vows to be so.

I am, and it is not social convention that influences me. I take loyalty very seriously, and when I am in a relationship I have shared the rights to my body and heart to another.

It is no longer my right to share either of those things with another. They are not mine, alone, to give.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Gonna need some elaboration here... and here. Thank you

Like I just told you, I could care less if it is or isn't (seen as) natural. Means absolutely nothing to me. And who the hell's trying to force it on people?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM

Mikala, monogamy has been forced on people by a variety of means: social stigma; religious indoctrination; legal strictures; in some cultures, death by stoning; etc. Yet despite the harsh treatment in many instances, people do what people do!

As for vows, I quite agree. If you make a decision and give your word, it should be respected and kept, or the relationship terminated if you cannot keep your word. Obviously, many people disagree, or at least can't keep their word. That's one of the downsides of human nature, unfortunately, but some people can and do transcend their urges.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:51 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Directed towards the OP..
I feel there will always be something published about something regarding humans/evolution and the natural order of things……However..

There will always be an example, some work cited okaying cheating, the need for man to have more than one wife, the fact that women always seek a hulk “survival of the fittest” type of male to mate with, right?
Women really crave the alpha male right? The Neanderthal in the gym that is huge, the huge successful guy?
There will always be some type casting yet noone has the answer for why certain genes are handed down? Why is there still certain diseases prevalent in our society? Why are their men that are 4’11? And under 5’6?
If the whole theory works? And is true to test? Why do we have these undesirable traits still prevalent?
If these theories ARE indeed correct? Why do we not have a new gen of perfect specimens?
There is monogamy in the animal kingdom yet this is not the focus why? Because as a plastic and disposable society we are constantly seeking reasons as to why we cheat, plain and simple.
Monogamy is a choice, not nature. Man has independent will plain and simple end of story.
There exists those who do not and those who participate at the drop off a hat and do not feel the slightest bit of guilt.
So we are using primates as a prime example? How can we dare use these so called higher evolved primates that are at times mostly bipedal when we have less evolved animals like birds that practice monogamy and the death of their partner? Means that they are alone forever? Now this is lonely to some but romantic to others. Doves do this.
So in reality doves being aviary can practice monogamy yet we choose to reflect other closely related to humans animals to use as an example as to why humans cannot be monogamous? Wow. A little backwards and a little goodness of fit going on here!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 AM

dr74, your information is misleading, and somewhat erroneous, especially when it comes to evolution. And you want to compare doves (presumably mourning doves, since other species of doves are not sexually monogamous) to humans? Even mourning doves find new mates if their prior mate dies.

Birds are usually socially monogamous, but not sexually or genetically monogamous. Many animals that form pairs to mate and raise offspring regularly engage in sexual activities with extra-pair partners. This includes swans. Amongst mammals, only 3 to 5% practice life-long pair bonding, and many of these do not practice sexual monogamy. I think that monogamy is the exception, and not the rule.

You are right that for humans, monogamy is a choice, not nature. It is a social convention is many societies, but was not always so, and polygamy is still legal in many (usually non-Western) countries. Even though many humans practice serial social monogamy because of our culture, many do not practice sexual or genetic monogamy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monogamy

Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I think most humans are not monogamous. Some are, and they can form monogamous relationships, but I don't think monogamy should be the social standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships