U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 04:38 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,757,615 times

Advertisements

This quote was inspired from the Men & Drama Thread (courtesy of Madonna). No disrespect to Madonna, but this quote is stupid because it implies couples should take whatever crap their s/o throws at them. Sorry, that's not how the world works. If you give someone hell in a relationship, either they'll give it back to you twice as worse, leave or do both. Sad to say, some people agree with this quote but to each their own. Personally, if my woman said/says this to me I'm out like a light because to me it would signal doormat. Yes, there are going to be good and bad times in relationships but some people have a knack for throwing out quotes like this an others as a way to test their partner. Well, even though I pass tests all day, if a woman ever tried this with me, she will be testing her a$$ out the door
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,805,718 times
I prefer to look at it as 'You get the good with the bad'. You said it yourself, there will be good and bad times in any relationship.

I feel like it's more a sentiment that you can't just show up for the good times and abandon when the bad come around.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:47 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,757,615 times
Great assessment. When I think about this thread, I think of it as you can't have the milk without the cow. It all boils down to how much transgression you are willing to overlook in your partner.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:51 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,387,013 times
I think Marilyn Monroe said it first, but..wth. I disagree with that statement because it seems to come from someone who might lack inner strength. I say, be smart enough to know what you can deal with and stop depending on "true love to conquer all" That's a crock, it's just that most people won't admit it. Besides, how do I know for sure if "your best" is going to be worth what you put me through at "your worst"? How do I know if you're even going to be around then? Maybe you'll want to leave me because I'm someone who has seen you at your worst, and you don't want a reminder of that.

Bring your best to the relationship, and expect the best from your partner. But going in, be clear on what your "wobblers" and your "deal breakers" are. Then when (not if) "worst" shows up you'll at least know what you're dealing with.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,592,238 times
If you don`t take the bad, with the good, then you will never get the good.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,007,628 times
yes you need to take the bad with the good always, but that quote just gives me the impression that the person (in this case Madonna) is just moody, pretentious, and will probably have a lot of "worst" days---which i wouldn't be able to stand.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM

25,387 posts, read 29,043,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
This quote was inspired from the Men & Drama Thread (courtesy of Madonna). No disrespect to Madonna, but this quote is stupid because it implies couples should take whatever crap their s/o throws at them. Sorry, that's not how the world works. If you give someone hell in a relationship, either they'll give it back to you twice as worse, leave or do both. Sad to say, some people agree with this quote but to each their own. Personally, if my woman said/says this to me I'm out like a light because to me it would signal doormat. Yes, there are going to be good and bad times in relationships but some people have a knack for throwing out quotes like this an others as a way to test their partner. Well, even though I pass tests all day, if a woman ever tried this with me, she will be testing her a$$ out the door

If you can't handle the bad, the relationship will not survive so there's no use worrying about the good. You won't be there to see it. So the quote is right.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:24 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,592,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If you can't handle the bad, the relationship will not survive so there's no use worrying about the good. You won't be there to see it. So the quote is right.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,030,488 times
There is a huge difference between "handling the bad" and "handling me at my worst."

Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,201,812 times
I watched my mom put up with a lot of abuse under the philosophy of taking "the good with the bad".

Expressions like that shouldn't be used to excuse inexcusable behavior. Blech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships