U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 PM

314 posts, read 352,394 times

Advertisements

we all have are hobbys in moderation fine just like someones tv time or internet surfing its ok as long as it does not harm you mentally or physically and not playing it all the time. also if they do other things as well examaple spend time with you moderation is the key to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 PM

314 posts, read 352,394 times
as long as its not being played all the time and done in moderation its fine just like any other hobby shoping ,internet,tv

Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,211,583 times
This is an issue in our home. When your wife/ husband, kids, sleep and things around the house go neglected, then its a problem.
I hate WoW.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,882,751 times
Interesting feedback....

Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,882,751 times
The Truth.

The reason I started this topic was to hear the opinion of the average woman in 2010. Im not into video games, but I am into reading A LOT. What I have learned in life and confirmed by this topic is it is better off not sharing what you are into with people, but to actually keep it to yourself & just enjoy it. I never tell the women I date what I am into are what I have a passion for, because I know they will judge me. I love to read. The less they know, the more power you have. If they call to *just talk* I never say I am reading....I just make something up that I think sounds cool to women. Like "oh Im cooking" or "im at the mall shopping"....when actually Im on the porch either reading the paper, city-data or a book I checked out from the library. Its always interesting how we pass jugdment over people based on a hobby or interest that we/they as individuals enjoy. Its better not to share your interest with others, but to just enjoy it yourself.

Goodnite yall.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 AM

47,576 posts, read 57,994,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityslick View Post
As with anything, all things must be done in moderation. I do find it amusing at those that look at gaming as some sort of 'turn off' or 'immature'. My guess is those people grew up at a time when games were not mainstream as they are now. I think reality shows are the biggest waste of time ever, but I don't judge the woman who watches it 4 days a week and DVR's the other 3 days.

As mentioned above, you have your hobbies, why can't I have mine?
I'm sure it's generational to a large extent. Older people think it's fine to have the television on day and night, watching television for hours, eating meals in front of the television and discussing the tv celebrities as though they were people you care about, being hooked on soap operas and reality shows is all considered normal.

Someone playing video games is seen as immature but what's the difference? If someone plays video games or is a coach potato in front of the televison staring into it for hours? At least the video games stimulate the brain in some way.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:55 AM

8,024 posts, read 12,529,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
The Truth.

The reason I started this topic was to hear the opinion of the average woman in 2010. Im not into video games, but I am into reading A LOT. What I have learned in life and confirmed by this topic is it is better off not sharing what you are into with people, but to actually keep it to yourself & just enjoy it. I never tell the women I date what I am into are what I have a passion for, because I know they will judge me. I love to read. The less they know, the more power you have. If they call to *just talk* I never say I am reading....I just make something up that I think sounds cool to women. Like "oh Im cooking" or "im at the mall shopping"....when actually Im on the porch either reading the paper, city-data or a book I checked out from the library. Its always interesting how we pass jugdment over people based on a hobby or interest that we/they as individuals enjoy. Its better not to share your interest with others, but to just enjoy it yourself.

Goodnite yall.
If you can't be honest with the women you date, you shouldn't be dating them. You're misrepresenting yourself to them so the chances that you'll be compatible are not good. What happens if/when one of these women become more than just a date? Eventually, she is going to find out your true interests and if she doesn't share them, there's going to be trouble. You're wasting both your time and theirs.

Why don't you just be honest and look for a woman who likes to read as much as you do? Why do you think reading is uninteresting or not cool? It's a very healthy activity for the brain and it can be very educational (which is not always the case with video games). Any woman who doesn't appreciate that isn't a woman you want to be with anyway. I really don't see the point in misrepresenting yourself. I'm a woman and I feel lost if I don't have a book to read. I've read 18 books JUST in this year - by the end of May, I'll have finished the two I'm reading right now, meaning I average about 4 books per month. Now, I'm married but I'm not, by far, the only woman out there who loves to read! There are many - so please, stop lying and stop misrepresenting yourself... it's your only hope of a successful relationship!

You can not compare women's opinions on video games to reading. If you want to know what women think of men who read a lot, ask THAT and see the replies. Why on earth you thought asking about video games would give you insight into what women think about reading is beyond me.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:17 AM

15,388 posts, read 22,349,553 times
Quote:
Ladies what is your opinion of men that entertain themselves with video games?
No worse than posting on forums talking to complete strangers,
as long as you do other things with free time.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,325,284 times
As long as it's in moderation I don't see the problem. I don't get it , video games to me are at best incredibly tedious but each to their own.

Like all hobbies though obsession can take over and then problems do occur. I know some guys who spend over 8 hours a day playing video games... That to me is a psychological disorder... Especially when they have a family , friends etc....

I am grateful Hubby has no interest in video games though. We don't even own a playstation/ X box so not an issue to me anyway !

Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 AM

2,499 posts, read 4,211,583 times
Quote:
The Truth.

Goodnite yall.
Honestly, I would rather have a guy tell me honestly if he was reading instead of cooking or shopping. It shows me that he enjoys life's simple things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships