U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:36 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,261,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Any serious addiction and\or mental illness is a sad sad thing.
lol. how many gamers are addicts? few, and even then they probably have an addictive personality to begin with. people have sex, but only a few are bona fide sex addicts.

Another point is that what about people who watch a lot of reality TV? what shallow brain-dead **** is that? lol... Or soap operas? Who gives a poo if the characters are cheating on x? I couldn't date somebody who primarily saw reality TV or soap operas. And before somebody calls me judgmental, well I like what I like. Reality TV is simply not stimulating enough and is too common and shallow. I cannot be faulted for having likes and dislikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,080,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
lol. how many gamers are addicts? few, and even then they probably have an addictive personality to begin with. people have sex, but only a few are bona fide sex addicts.

Another point is that what about people who watch a lot of reality TV? what shallow brain-dead **** is that? lol... Or soap operas? Who gives a poo if the characters are cheating on x? I couldn't date somebody who primarily saw reality TV or soap operas. And before somebody calls me judgmental, well I like what I like. Reality TV is simply not stimulating enough and is too common and shallow. I cannot be faulted for having likes and dislikes.

As a gamer, Ive never understood this - people ALWAYS tend to address gaming through the prism of addiction. They always qualify everything they say about gaming with such phrases as "As long as it doesnt become an addiction..."

I wonder why that is?...Isnt it common sense by now that anything in excess can be unhealthy/counterproductive? Why does gaming automatically draw that connotation? Shopping or reading can be unhealthy if they become an addiction.

Im not saying that the people who say this are wrong at all, it just seems like people kind of single gaming out as the one form of entertainment that can become a dangerous addiction

Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,004,908 times
Your title says it all! I'm not interested in "adult males"; I'm interested in men!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 PM

8,148 posts, read 9,341,963 times
I grew up on the original nintendo system and to this day video games are one of my favorite past times. I'm 34 now and will probably be into it for decades to come. My wife is cool with and in fact also likes to play the games also, although not the same ones as I.

I don't understand how some see it as bad to play video games for a couple hours but are ok watching tv or a movie for a couple hours. Games these days are blowing away movies. They have story lines and settings that put most tv shows and movies to shame. Also, they are interactive and many are now adaptive and the outcomes vary based upon your actions. Games have come a long, long way. Also games are not marketed mostly to kids. On the wii maybe, but overall there are a lot of very successful games that are rated M. Movies and tv just don't offer the depth of entertainment that modern games do. I think some people still think of the kiddy games of decades past when they think of video games.

My 57 yr old dad recently got hooked on the ps3. He was blown away and had no idea of how far games had come. It's certainly not a kids only form of entertaiment. Similar to movies, there are kids cartoons and there arw adult war films, horror films, dramas, etc.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:02 PM

21 posts, read 33,536 times
I think they are fun to hang out with. I love playing video games.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:35 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,117,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

You can not compare women's opinions on video games to reading. If you want to know what women think of men who read a lot, ask THAT and see the replies. Why on earth you thought asking about video games would give you insight into what women think about reading is beyond me.
Great post. Reading and video games are very distinct forms of entertainment. I personally would love it if a boyfriend of mine read a book once in a while. The OP puzzles me with this comparison.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:10 AM

93 posts, read 142,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
As a gamer, Ive never understood this - people ALWAYS tend to address gaming through the prism of addiction. They always qualify everything they say about gaming with such phrases as "As long as it doesnt become an addiction..."

I wonder why that is?...Isnt it common sense by now that anything in excess can be unhealthy/counterproductive? Why does gaming automatically draw that connotation? Shopping or reading can be unhealthy if they become an addiction.

Im not saying that the people who say this are wrong at all, it just seems like people kind of single gaming out as the one form of entertainment that can become a dangerous addiction
I think video games will always have this stigma that it's only for young people, which is pretty ridiculous when you consider the age of the average gamer is 30 and more adults buy a Wii than kids (hello Wii fit). To each their own I guess.

People watch reality shows like its their life but somehow that also doesn't qualify as being bad.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,080,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityslick View Post
I think video games will always have this stigma that it's only for young people, which is pretty ridiculous when you consider the age of the average gamer is 30 and more adults buy a Wii than kids (hello Wii fit). To each their own I guess.

People watch reality shows like its their life but somehow that also doesn't qualify as being bad.
exactly...I read that the average age of a gamer is like 33 or 34 - which is still young but its not childhood, as many think video games are intended for. That coincides with the fact that that age group would be both technologically savvy AND financially stable enough to play video games. I know that I will be playing games until my fingers become too arthritic and riddled with rheumatoid to grasp the controller. But by then we will probably be gaming via brain waves anyway...

And reality shows make me sick personally...but people are glued to them like they have some real intrinsic value...Yet they are considered "cool" and "hip" etc. Whatever, I think they're immensely lame. I also think most movies have been lame recently too. But I dont begrudge people for enjoying those forms of entertainment...even if they become addictions..*are there movie addicts?*

Last edited by solytaire; 06-04-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 03:54 PM

48,747 posts, read 39,265,166 times
I'm going to file this right next to one of my other favorite threads....the one where I have a small penis because I drive a high-end sportscar. lol.

Let the bashin' continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships