Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You can not compare women's opinions on video games to reading. If you want to know what women think of men who read a lot, ask THAT and see the replies. Why on earth you thought asking about video games would give you insight into what women think about reading is beyond me.
Exactly what I was thinking. Reading is a wonderful hobby, and I always find that to be an attractive personality trait. The OP has a very strange perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
They weren't jabs. I did have fun playing video games at that age. I admitted I wasn't of the "gamer generation" and that my son played video games which has alot to do with my point of view.

We will have to just agree to disagree but I'm far from close minded. You like what you like, I like what I like....that's all there is to it.
Video games are largely marketed to kids.

But even still, I reckon it depends on the genre of game. Plenty of people who play world of warcraft are adults, since it has things that an adult can employ and relate to such as problem-solving skills.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Nothing wrong with video games..Im a gamer and its just something Ive always done and always will do. Nothing gets the circuits running hot like a rousing video game match. I remember many fist fights over video games. I remember when one of my friends blacked another guy's eye because he wouldnt pay him his money after he beat him in Madden. I also remember another guy (who wasnt a friend of mine), getting knocked out cold after a video game dispute. And then of course a teammate of mine attempted to beat the other teammate with a golf club after another unpaid wager. Nothing settles a video game dispute like a good ol fashioned fist fight in my experience.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-03-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
My hubs is a gamer, Xbox, online and Flames of War type stuff. It can be annoying at times cause it is his main hobby but I always think it could be worse.

Plus I have my own games that I play on the computer so I understand how it can be relaxing and de-stressing. He also has a large group of friends that play with him and they come over and go to tournaments and things together so for him, its very social and he does get out and do other things.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
I'm 33 years old, most my friends are between 25-30 and they all play video games, as a guy I find it very childish if you do it all the time.

You play for hours, then what? You beat a board and the computer tells you congrats? That might have been enough satisfaction when I was younger but nowadays I need a little more stimulation then trying to take over the world or win a war on my TV set.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM

396 posts, read 732,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You can not compare women's opinions on video games to reading. If you want to know what women think of men who read a lot, ask THAT and see the replies. Why on earth you thought asking about video games would give you insight into what women think about reading is beyond me.
Well said.

Hubby and I read a lot. It's something we share. We'll read the same series of books at the same time. We often read them when we're out to eat, which earns us some funny looks from some people... they assume we have nothing to say to each other, I guess. What they miss is the hours of conversation we have before and after about the books we're reading, or about the millions of other topics discussing the books lead us to.

When we first started dating, it was one of those wonderful "OMG, you too??????" moments of discovery. He's a slightly slower reader than I am, so of the books we're both reading, there are around 50 a year. About one a week. Then there are the books I read on my own, which takes my count well up above 100 a year.

For me it's a toss up which I love more... reading or gaming... but it probably is reading since I do more of that. I can live without video games. I would likely be beside myself with nothing to read.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
I have a question. For those that say once you reach a certain age you shouldn't enjoy playing games, than what in your view is that person suppose to use their free time for instead? What is *proper*?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 PM

79 posts, read 148,629 times
as long as they are not doing it 24/7 I could care less. When you pick a game or anything over your relationship and other areas of your life then theres a problem. anythigng can become an addiction.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:26 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Hmmmm. I'm a gamer, and ahhhh zomg, a female! I average maybe 20 minutes one night (the nights I don't play, but log in to check on things, say hi to the gang), to possibly 2 or 3 hours the next night. (that's after work, dedicated raid nights maybe 2 or 3 times a week.)

Gaming is a very low-cost/high concentration form of entertainment, and depending on what the game is or entails, no, is not solely marketed for children anymore. And in regard to how women view adult men that play? I would have to sway towards the side of cute, or endearing. I would much rather have a man glued to the computer monitor playing his MMORPG reality out on screen, rather than him out every night at a bar... besides, I'd most likely be playing next to him (kicking his butt)

It all depends on what you're drawn to. I already know I'm predisposed to the gamer sort of male. They tend to be (TEND TO BE, I'm not judging every male in existence that plays A video game) larger in size, maybe a bit on the geeky side, more often than not lost or deep in thought, very hand-eye and detail coordinated and meticulously organized (if not at home, in his game world), and tend to be more introverted and wall-flowery/shy, but well worth the effort deep down. That's the guy for me!

You very rarely find a fun and fancy free party animal, with drug or alcohol abuse, or an irresponsible wreckless driver. You find a quiet, reserved man who knows what he likes, keeps primarily to himself, and goes home and plugs in at night to unwind. They still get up in the morning and go to work. They still pay their bills at the end of every month like the rest of us. Life goes on.

With that said, everything in moderation. I want someone who can cram an all night raid in with me the night a new expansion hits the shelves and be totally entranced as I can be. But being able to put it down and enjoy life outside of a virtual reality is a very fine balance, that I think any gamers, bloggers, forum trolls, ebay snipers, facebook misfits, or whatnot, is always perfecting.

I have a quote on my character that runs around my alternate reality world saving the day. It's something along the lines of "Thought is real, physical is the illusion."

A lot of people's personalities come out online through relationships and comradeship connections that are put to play, that people just wouldn't see on a daily basis, or enjoy.

There was an article on MSNBC about how the investigations based around MMORPGs are therapeutic and being widely treated in cases of PTSD, and how individuals that commonly indulge in virtual realities are better capable to not only acknowledge a lucid dream state, but control it as well. The thought behind the connection to virtual reality gaming is the consistency in which the person was put into a third-party-view and still manipulate the characters, without ever leaving the mindset that they were still being the person in question. Was a very interesting read.

So to all the adult male gamers in the world out there... someone loves ya
Just remember to change your socks and throw away the fort of mountain dew cans piling up in the corner at least once a week.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM

410 posts, read 515,190 times
I like playing video games myself so i don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships