Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,314,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seriously, that's a rather odd statement. Should I shoot animals, hit a little white ball or drink beer while stuffing fried foods in my face on the couch while watching other men run around on TV? lol.

In the course of this week in my liesure time I will play games, go see Wheezer in concert, take my kids to see Iron Man II, run, lift weights and drive my sportscar around like a maniac a little bit....oh, and watch some PBS special that just came on netflix.

Don't fall into the pit of generalization that this forum epitomizes with all the bashin threads.

Isn't life about new experiences? You have to be around my age...don't fall in a rut and just do the same things all the time!
*sigh*

Why is it an odd statement? Forums are about opinions and I gave mine. Nowhere did I generalize and say all men who play video games are not adult-like and bashed them. I said what MY opinion of it was. How very assumptuous of you to believe that I have fallen into a pit of generalization and don't have new life experiences. Just because I choose not to spend my time playing a video game in no way says I'm in a "rut".....quite the opposite.

You can enjoy playing your video games because that's your right, but so is my opinion. Have fun....that's what life's about and we all have different definitions of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,372,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I pretty much agree, I'm working on not being judgmental and allowing people to do their thing, but yeah, any guy that spends that much time playing vid games is the mayor of loserville.
Why?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
*sigh*

Why is it an odd statement? Forums are about opinions and I gave mine. Nowhere did I generalize and say all men who play video games are not adult-like and bashed them. I said what MY opinion of it was. How very assumptuous of you to believe that I have fallen into a pit of generalization and don't have new life experiences. Just because I choose not to spend my time playing a video game in no way says I'm in a "rut".....quite the opposite.

You can enjoy playing your video games because that's your right, but so is my opinion. Have fun....that's what life's about and we all have different definitions of fun.
I respectfully disagreed with your comment that I quoted directly. In addition to it you made a couple other jabs about playing games but it was when you were 12-13 comes off as you grew up and others didn't. (snarky)

To me that came off as rather judgmental which is of course your right....

Again, it's my opinion you were generalizing and from your comments seemed closed minded which is indicative to just doing the same old things over and over.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umberlee View Post
DH will get a new game and play it obsessively for a few weeks, neglecting everything else in his life, until he beats the game inside and out. It's annoying when he does it, but he only gets a new game a few times a year so it's not all THAT bad.

However, we have a friend who has literally given up his entire life for video games. Almost as if it were drugs. He dropped out of high school and was living with his grandma who would buy him games as they came out and he had a spate of part-time jobs here and there for which he would use all of his earnings on computer or video games. His grandma died and left him a house, a car, and $50,000 in life insurance. He spent the next four years pissing away the money on every new game that came out as well as other foolish purchases (not to mention pizza or take-out for every meal) until the money finally started to run out. He stopped having trash service come to the house so he started having to keep trash all around his house in bags piling up. They turned his water off, which didn't really matter because he didn't shower and all he drank was coke anyway. Finally the electricity was shut off which meant no more games, but he talked his neighbor into letting him run an extension cord to his outside outlet so he could plug in his power strip and fire up the computer, TV, and Xbox. He was sure to pay the cable bill, though.

Five years ago he was a 20-something year-old kid with $50,000 in his pocket and a house and car (a mustang convertible, no less) to his name. Now he's just a pathetic specimen of human being. It's sad, really. I'm not sure who feeds him or what but I think the only thing that would keep him from ending up on the streets is that you can't play your games on the streets--you need a roof over your head in one way or another, so he'll either end up pulling it together enough to keep a job or he'll be some unfortunate soul's much smellier Kato Kaelin.
Any serious addiction and\or mental illness is a sad sad thing.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,716,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ladies what is your opinion of men that entertain themselves with video games?
Is it a situation where SO wants to "cuddle up" and he doesn't want to be bothered because he's too busy with the video game?

Then:

Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,520,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieBot View Post
Do you snicker when 20-40 year old men and women express interest in television, the internet, or any other hobby based on passive entertainment?

I've found that the majority of detractors of video games belong in at least one of the following categories:

They're older and belong in a generation that predates the ubiquity of video games and as such as incapable of appreciating that video games are now mainstream among adults. These are usually people who proudly refer to themselves as "old-fashioned" and thus are the sort of people that are too stubborn to ever change their beliefs.

They had the misfortune of being in a relationship with a guy/girl who was addicted to games and resents all gamers because of it.

They hear alarmist stories about people being addicted to games or acting violently after playing them and choose to believe that all gamers are like the ones they hear about.

Really, you could go back to the 1950's and replace "video games" with "rock and roll music" and you'd pretty much have the exact same opponents with the exact same views.
I agree. Gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry. A lot of people don't realize that the average gamer these days is about 35 years old and that a very large percentage of gamers are women.

I don't see how a person who plays video games is any worse than one who likes to watch or play sports.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
There's nothing wrong with enjoying a video game. But when it takes over your life, that's a totally different issue. I like video games.

But when it's a refuge that keeps you from dealing with real life..... No way.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM

93 posts, read 163,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
There's nothing wrong with enjoying a video game. But when it takes over your life, that's a totally different issue. I like video games.

But when it's a refuge that keeps you from dealing with real life..... No way.
As with anything, all things must be done in moderation. I do find it amusing at those that look at gaming as some sort of 'turn off' or 'immature'. My guess is those people grew up at a time when games were not mainstream as they are now. I think reality shows are the biggest waste of time ever, but I don't judge the woman who watches it 4 days a week and DVR's the other 3 days.

As mentioned above, you have your hobbies, why can't I have mine?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,314,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In addition to it you made a couple other jabs about playing games but it was when you were 12-13 comes off as you grew up and others didn't. (snarky)

To me that came off as rather judgmental which is of course your right....
They weren't jabs. I did have fun playing video games at that age. I admitted I wasn't of the "gamer generation" and that my son played video games which has alot to do with my point of view.

Quote:
Again, it's my opinion you were generalizing and from your comments seemed closed minded which is indicative to just doing the same old things over and over.
We will have to just agree to disagree but I'm far from close minded. You like what you like, I like what I like....that's all there is to it.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:40 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,978,796 times
I am not a huge video game fan but I will play a lot when I am bored and hanging out with friends. But I do love flight simulator. Its a passion of mine one of my biggest hobbies. It took me a few months to show my GF this hobby did not want to scare her away. It has NEVER taken time away from us spending time though. But I will spend a good amount of time flying on the program.

I think it is healthy to have something you like to do by yourself. Everyone needs their alone time. Just like the SO might like to watch movies or cook, run etc.. I like to fly on flight simulator. Moderation is key. And someone did make a good point. I might spend $200 a year on flight simulator after the intial cost of buying a good computer of course. But that $200 will give me a lot more entertainment and relaxing time then going to a club one night and spending $200 in one night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships