Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times

Advertisements

Either my hs friends and friends in general from my home are either A. Married, B. Married with children, or C. have children.

And maybe like half of my hs graduating class probably have kids by now or married. Hell, even my brother got married before i did.

While I'm much more maturer now than I was in hs, I'm still a little too immature to actually "settle" down and get serious with marriage.

Still, should I feel bad? My new college has plenty of girls there and I'm already over the last girl I talked about in my most recent topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
Either my hs friends and friends in general from my home are either A. Married, B. Married with children, or C. have children.

And maybe like half of my hs graduating class probably have kids by now or married. Hell, even my brother got married before i did.

While I'm much more maturer now than I was in hs, I'm still a little too immature to actually "settle" down and get serious with marriage.

Still, should I feel bad? My new college has plenty of girls there and I'm already over the last girl I talked about in my most recent topic.
No, you should not feel bad.

Never let your social circle, society in general, your family, your church, or anyone make you feel like you need to hurry up and get married. In fact, don't let anyone make you feel like you have to get married ever. It's perfectly okay if you don't.

If the right person for marriage comes along some day, you'll know. Until then, get out there, see the world, pursue your education, career, and interests, and live.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Feel bad about what??? Not being like everyone else? Give me a break.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
"more maturer" ?? .... keep working on becoming "more mature"! (Study in school!!)
Getting married is not a contest. If you are still in school and have not established yourself in a business or trade ... you are not ready to take on a marriage.
Remember, this is your life. Life it well and be wise. Determine where you want to be in 5 years. How do you intend to make a living? How do you want to live? etc. You must know what you want in life before you will know how to get there.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:

What the hell for, man? It's not a race.

Let me tell you. A lot of those people who got married straight out of school and spit out a couple of kids aren't terribly happy with their lives now. They have imprisoned themselves with the choices they have made at an early age. Sure, it's not apparent to them at age 22 or 25. But by their 30s, many of them will look back and wondered if they squandered a large and considerable portion of their youth in order to become adults far too quickly.

Now that doesn't mean that you shouldn't shuck your responsibilities in life, or overlook The One in your ongoing quest for the next great time. But there is an amazing amount of time in your life to make all those decisions.

One last thought. You don't quite know who you are yet. I know you think that, but until you've gotten the degree, gone out into the world of work, and endured a couple of hardships along the way, it's really difficult to know your true measure. Nobody should be married before they have tested themselves in life. For dating is easy, while making a life with someone else is hard. It requires maturity and character, things that you wisely want to acquire before you commit yourself to someone for the rest of your life.

If memory serves me correctly, you're going to school in my own city. Plenty to do here, plenty of interesting people, plenty of opportunities that you should not blow off. Responsibilities will come soon enough.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
, I'm still a little too immature to actually "settle" down and get serious with marriage.
To be honest, you shouldnt feel bad....at all. This quote above, says it all. You know that your not ready to settle down and get serious, but you will when your ready.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
don't feel bad because married life sucks. Thats why everyone gets divorced. Think about it. If married life was so great the divorce rate wouldn't be as high as it is, over 50% these days!

The real way to go is just have short-term relationships, like under a year. When it gets boring, move to the next person to keep it fresh and interesting. If there are any, "relationship" problems then just bail and go find someone else. I've searched awhile and I have found this style of relationship is the best. No hassle, no need to work things out and so on.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 AM

290 posts, read 388,473 times
Think everyone has said it all
If settling down isn't right for you at the moment that is absolutely fine!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
Well, most people from my high school got married or had kids at 18 and most of them aren't too happy with their lives. My college friends are very different. We are all mid 20s (25-26) and of my friends, two are married, several are engaged, and only one has a kid (and she's a year older than me). If you come from a small town or low socio-economic area, people get married or have kids much earlier than people who go to college and start careers. Unless you actually wanted to get married really young, don't sweat it.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Nah, don't feel bad.

I'm the flip side of your story. I got married straight out of college, and am the only one in my extended social circle to be at that point. It always feels a little strange to be different from everyone else, but you know yourself better than anyone else. Don't let someone else's ideas dictate your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships