U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2010, 11:37 AM

5,441 posts, read 6,425,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
On one hand with things like the internet and the ability to stay connected is an unbelievable advantage in our lives(don't know what I would do without it now) on the other hand, it's almost an overload of information.

With all of our technology gadgets, it has seemed to take away from some of the interpersonal connection with other people. When I was in high school, you actually had to go up and talk to a girl and build up a relationship that way. Now, even in the same room, kids don't talk but text one another instead.
Im 20, and all of my friends are constantly texting. I dont mind texting but Id rather actually TALK to people then text them if Im using my phone

Ive tried calling my friends and they ignore it. They then tell me not to call, because they hate talking on the phone, and that its easier to text.

It also takes 10x longer then it would if we ACTUALLY spoke to each other
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Ep-

2,015 posts, read 2,122,676 times
yeah i hate texting sometimes too

once i was texting my friend and realized it would be easy to call and i did. he didnt pick up but texted back right after, and i knew he wasnt doing anything. so what could have been a 2 min convo turned into over an hour of texting before i just said eff it and stopped txting back

Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 AM

3,261 posts, read 2,672,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Redisca has a very valid point, but there is more to it than just people longing for their days of youth (although that is true). Dating isn't just different - the whole world is different. Technology always has and always will change society and all of the aspects within it. Technology grants people convenience; it makes things easier. Even though I grew up with the internet, I still marvel at the fact that I can find nearly any piece of information I'm looking for within a few mere seconds. I think one of the main defining factors of dating in this century is that people have become pickier. We don't just want a good man/woman - we want our definition of perfect, which has become increasingly narrow. In our lives, we technically get everything we want, when we want - technology has done that for us. Why not apply the same mentality to dating? Look at online dating, for example. Instead of having to meet someone and get to know him/her, you can just prescreen people by logistics. In addition, there is this huge sense of entitlement. Everyone believes that they deserve Mr./Mrs Perfect.
I agree that technology has made our lives in general easier, but I don't think it has made dating easier, than say the 80's or 90's.

Children today seem to have very few social skills and quality social experiences. They don't enjoy each other's company simply by hanging out and talking. If you don't send your children to after school activities, they will likely vegetate all day in front of the computer, watching TV, playing video games and living in this online virtual world.

When I was in my teens and 20's, we were just enjoying each other's company, having real conversations, handling real-time, real-life dramas and laughs and not manufactured and virtual ones. My parents wouldn't be freaking out if I was out in my neighborhood hanging out with my friends. We would need to pick up the phone to talk to our friends and not shoot off emails and texts.

I think that for all the great advances, most come at the expense of face-to-face human interaction.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM

147 posts, read 131,929 times
WOW Heidi Montag is beautiful?!?! WAS BEAUTIFUL. That plastic surgery is a mess.

IMO, dating was easier 50 years ago because men and women weren't fighting to be equal, it was possible for a man to provide for the whole family while the woman stayed home to care for the children, cleaned, and made healthy meals. Getting married was valued much more highly and premarital sex and cohabitation were looked down on. People have more health issues and mental issues now because of the ****ty food we eat out of convenience among other reasons (dysfunctional upbringings). People have the leisure of just screwing around without much shame involved. It's still possible to find a mate that is looking for marriage but much more difficult. Women are focused on careers more so than ever (and because of this economy it is absolutely necessary for both husband and wife to work most of the time). People no longer know what role to fill and because people blatantly ignore that women and men are DIFFERENT = women naturally nurture & men naturally protect and provide it results in a confused society.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 PM

9,692 posts, read 11,383,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Therein lies the biggest problem in dating today. The entitlement mentality is getting stronger by the day or so it seems. Its not just with women either, men have it as well
Well in the 2000's for various reasons beyond the scope here, we had an EZ credit boom where people could get what they wanted without the means to pay. Not to mention all the fantasy tv shows and crap that create false impressions on our society.

A lot of people are in denial but I think you'll see in years to come such lavish living with 2nd homes, new clothes every weekend, flash cars, dining out every night, enormous TV's, granite countertops, McMansions, all that is going to be so oughties(2000's). There is neither the credit that will be available to that extent, nor as it seems the income either as if you do manage to earn a decent sum, the guvment will be hogging it in taxes to pay it's debt burden. All of the phony equity loans based on supposed appreciation of your real estate and low interest platinum credit cards that let people party like rock stars is all a thing of the past.

I only am into women so can't speak for the other side, but interacting with women I've noticed a difference even since the 1990's in this "gimme gimme gimme" needy attitude.

Society always changes so in times to come we may enter a more simple time and dating will be easier as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 PM

23,210 posts, read 16,801,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I agree that technology has made our lives in general easier, but I don't think it has made dating easier, than say the 80's or 90's.

Children today seem to have very few social skills and quality social experiences. They don't enjoy each other's company simply by hanging out and talking. If you don't send your children to after school activities, they will likely vegetate all day in front of the computer, watching TV, playing video games and living in this online virtual world.

When I was in my teens and 20's, we were just enjoying each other's company, having real conversations, handling real-time, real-life dramas and laughs and not manufactured and virtual ones. My parents wouldn't be freaking out if I was out in my neighborhood hanging out with my friends. We would need to pick up the phone to talk to our friends and not shoot off emails and texts.

I think that for all the great advances, most come at the expense of face-to-face human interaction.
I agree completely, I've been banging this drum for a while. I've even started threads about it in the past.

I'm seeing this lack of social interaction in younger co-workers. I work with a lot of people fresh out of school or the military and I've been noticing how "disconnected" from face to face reality. They'll be texting constantly or fiddling around with ipods/ phones with internet access.

They just cant seem to be still and be in the moment. Always with the tech toy friggin distractions. Don't get me wrong I like all of the toys and gadgets too, I'm in a technical type of work, so I'm not a Luddite who's are afraid of technology.

I just think we need to be aware of our social interactions in society.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 PM

47,586 posts, read 32,365,804 times
It was a lot simpler way back when. People didn't have to remember to bring along a box of condoms on the first date or bring a copy of their HIV results. If a man bought a woman a hamburger it wasn't expected that she was going to provide him a night of sex.

The rules were easier, people could get to know each other over a long period of time before any committments were made. Today a date is a failure if the sex on the first date isn't quite right and there is never going to be a committment made.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:05 PM

484 posts, read 149,282 times
Quote:
My dad and I had a conversation about this a few weeks ago. My dad was my age back in the mid 1960s (Im 20 now) and I told him that I wish I could have grown up in his day and he said "It was so much simpler back then, you would have had so much fun"

He also said it was easier to date back then

Was dating really easier in the 60s 70s 80s and maybe even the 90s as compared to the 21st century?
Yes, no caller ID, no cell phones, no internet few serial killers. There's always a BBD withing reach of young ladies today. Too many choices and distractions.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 991,381 times
Quote:
My dad and I had a conversation about this a few weeks ago. My dad was my age back in the mid 1960s (Im 20 now) and I told him that I wish I could have grown up in his day and he said "It was so much simpler back then, you would have had so much fun"

He also said it was easier to date back then

Was dating really easier in the 60s 70s 80s and maybe even the 90s as compared to the 21st century?
Depends.
For me I like recent times.
From what I hear from older folks, there were few women who would agree to a FB or FWB situation.
Which would have put a damper on my situation.
I enjoy non sexual fun as much as anyone else, but dating attractive women on a regular basis and having no release.... I'd have Popeye's forearms.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 PM

1,204 posts, read 991,381 times
Quote:
Therein lies the biggest problem in dating today. The entitlement mentality is getting stronger by the day or so it seems. Its not just with women either, men have it as well

Mango please forgive me for generalizing about women here, but the same will be done for the men

*MOST* <<<keyword here<<< seem to want a man with money
*MOST* men seem to want a woman with a 36DD chest, coke bottle frame with 38 inch hips, and a HIGH sex drive.

Often times the "ideal" female figure is only accomplished through plastic surgery, look at Heidi Montag. She's gorgeous, but its almost a shame its fake. There are some naturally gorgeous women though, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I honestly think if people didnt hold others to such sky high standards, dating would be a lot more enjoyable and less of a chore. We all deserve the best for ourselves, but its not always about money or looks. Some women should realize the nice guy who makes $8.25 an hour and drives a Nissan Altima might be a much better catch then the jerk driving the new Camaro making $80k a year

Same goes for men, some need to realize the average looking girl may be much better for them then the blonde beauty queen who is most likely a total b*tch
As long as they have the attributes that are in bold , its perfectly fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships