U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,830,398 times

Advertisements

This thread is still going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,229,148 times
They say everyone lies, it's just a matter of degree, and timing. I don't think they say that no one EVER tells the truth--as they understand it to be anyhow.

Where dio I stand on hitting--probably in front of the catcher.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,265,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Really? Do you kill flies with hammers?
What about walking away from someone, whatever gender, who offers violence?
This is a lose/lose proposition. You get arrested, go to jail, make bail, pay an attorney, go to court, have a record, just because you couldn't walk away?
Even if you're in the "right", is it worth it? Doubtful.
Self-defence is never wrong. The facts of the case would bear up.

And please, no arguments that "the police wouldn't care a ****". If this is the general attitude, then it says a lot about the US, no? Even if the police don't give a **** (which is reasonable to say some wouldn't) there is CCTV evidence in public places that can patently determine who is at fault. How can a camera, a non-sapient object, lie?

I just think a person should never start a fight. always be the one to end it. this is especially in reference to the CCTV point.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,083,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I'm NOT CONDONING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN BY ANY MEANS but some women need to quit putting themselves in a man's position because some men have no problem beating the crap out of a woman, regardless of catching a case or not.
I was wondering if anyone was ever going to realize this...not all people, man or woman, are intimidated by prison, or catching a case. We have the largest male prison population in the world - a great many of them child abusers, pedophiles, and women killers. In this age of full course meals for inmates, appellate processes, job programs, time served/early release programs, protective custody, prison is a joke. Clearly prison is no deterrent to many people. The worst part about it nowdays is leaving and returning back to society. Prison is probably one of the best places a person can be in this economy.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,825,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I was wondering if anyone was ever going to realize this...not all people, man or woman, are intimidated by prison, or catching a case. We have the largest male prison population in the world - a great many of them child abusers, pedophiles, and women killers. In this age of full course meals for inmates, appellate processes, job programs, time served/early release programs, protective custody, prison is a joke. Clearly prison is no deterrent to many people. The worst part about it nowdays is leaving and returning back to society. Prison is probably one of the best places a person can be in this economy.
What you don't know about the correctional system is a lot.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
What you don't know about the correctional system is a lot.

Please... I know people who have been to prison - The average prison is not the horror house that people make it out to be.
What you dont know about the correctional system is everything

Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Please... I know people who have been to prison - The average prison is not the horror house that people make it out to be.
What you dont know about the correctional system is everything
Most normal people do care. if you don't, then it's no skin off anybody else's nose.

More likely than not, the people who don't care about prison or its ramifications are those already in the "hood" lifestyle. they have the support/contacts to get back in it readily.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
There's a difference between a man acting in self-defense to subdue a woman in the event that she poses a threat to his life and a man escalating a violent confrontation to the point that he goes from defense to offense.

Several of the men here seem to be missing that point.

Back when I was learning how to shoot, my instructor made a point of telling me that the head should not be the first thing to aim for unless the circumstances are extremely dire (as in, an assailant is choking you). Why? Aside from the head being a smaller target that you're less likely to hit, it can be argued that shooting someone in the head crosses the line from "self-defense" to "intent to kill," and that gets sticky in court.

The same logic applies to brawling, and why, if a woman slaps a man and he in turn punches her in the face and breaks her jaw, the man is the one who gets carted off to the clink.

If a man hit me, I'd have him arrested. Men, if a woman hits you, I suggest you do the same.
So? Isn't the mantra of life that life is ****ty and painful?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,826,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Yes but at the same time you have to look at the 2%-3% of accusations that turn out to be false. That's what makes me doubt the validity of all the others based on the margin of error.
That 2-3% is flawed at best. It's actually closer to 50%.

http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/

http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/p/informative-sources.html (broken link)

Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Most normal people do care. if you don't, then it's no skin off anybody else's nose.

More likely than not, the people who don't care about prison or its ramifications are those already in the "hood" lifestyle. they have the support/contacts to get back in it readily.

I didnt say that I personally didnt care about going to prison...But I certainly wouldnt be too intimidated by it to defend myself though. If we are all supposed to be too afraid of prison to defend ourselves, then we might as well roll over and let criminal scum walk into our houses and take whatever they please, and maybe file a police report about it, no? After all, we wouldnt want to go to prison because we are all scared that our wittle faces might get scwatched. If you are too intimidated by it to defend yourself from attack, then as you said, no skin off anyone elses nose. I dont begrudge anyone who would avoid it at all costs...I just said that many people dont have that mentality..which they dont. Clearly if we have the largest prison population in the world, there must be a large contingent of people who dont care about going to prison here. (and if we have the largest prison population in the world, they probably arent ALL from the hood...some, sure, but not all) Either that, or to use your rationale, we have more abnormal people than anywhere else on the planet. Additionally, I didnt mention anything about the "hood". You DO realize that richard ramirez, richard speck and scott peterson arent from da hood either right?..they werent too intimidated by the thought either it would seem. I think I even heard somewhere that Charles Manson wasnt from da hood.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-15-2010 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or