U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,329,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Shakes Head. You're the kind of woman that would probably go up to some random man and start a fight knowing you'll get your head knocked off, then go to the police and say he hit you first. Yet, the cops are stupid enough to believe a lie over the truth. I'm NOT CONDONING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN BY ANY MEANS but some women need to quit putting themselves in a man's position because some men have no problem beating the crap out of a woman, regardless of catching a case or not.
I'm posted earlier but I'll repeat it again. I don't start fights.. much less out of no where unless it was an extreme case (myself or someone close to me threatened either for their safety or life) and it has to do with self-defense only. An example would be if a burglar was right in my younger brother's room with the intent to molest and I happen to knock the individual with a lamp.
If I were to keep pounding/kicking them after that then it would also be aggravated assault too... because the individual is no longer a threat and both me and my brother can get away at that point along with calling the cops.
I would have to be stupidly extremely drunk (alcohol can lower anyone's inhibition and one can do things they wouldn't when sober) to walk up to a random man all of the sudden and hit him. All I did once while intoxicated was shove (according to him, he called it a push) a co-worker aside and threw a drink at another one while laughing. Once again, I was drunk... clearly not reasoning in that moment.. still no excuse though. Just to make it clear, again I'm not excusing myself (both men could have reacted too if they decided to, not everyone will be calm) but instead I end up looking like an idiot in front of everyone during the whole party. I now know when it comes to drinking and definitely not go all the whole till not functioning correctly.
Quote:
If a woman comes at a man with equal or greater force, she deserves it right back at her. Period. It's time out for taking it easy on women who think they have the right to come at men hitting and punching them and expect for a man not to come right back at them. That's foolishness on so many levels. And women wonder why no one will believe them when they are raped, because they have a natural tendency to lie. It's said that 2-3% of sexual assault/rape reports turn out to be false.
2-3% of false sexual assault/rape reports is nothing in compare to the other 98-97% which is true and what do those men in court do? Deny, deny and deny. I can pretty much say the same thing how some men have the tendency/instinctual nature within men to rape, fight or cheat on their girlfriend/wife. At least I said some and not put every single one of them in one bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM

9,415 posts, read 10,999,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
That 2-3% is flawed at best. It's actually closer to 50%.

The False Rape Society

The False Rape Society: ▲Informative Sources (http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/p/informative-sources.html - broken link)
Yeah, blogs are a great source of information for your flawed arguments

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

19,081 posts, read 20,758,641 times
Quote:
Some of them do, not all however.
Ok, thanks for that some. Sure, some women lie. Some men lie. Some people just lie.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM

19,081 posts, read 20,758,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yeah, blogs are a great source of information for your flawed arguments
Indeed. Take his links with a grain of salt.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,146,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I didnt say that I personally didnt care about going to prison...But I certainly wouldnt be too intimidated by it to defend myself though. If we are all supposed to be too afraid of prison to defend ourselves, then we might as well roll over and let criminal scum walk into our houses and take whatever they please, and maybe file a police report about it, no? After all, we wouldnt want to go to prison because we are all scared that our wittle faces might get scwatched. If you are too intimidated by it to defend yourself from attack, then as you said, no skin off anyone elses nose. I dont begrudge anyone who would avoid it at all costs...I just said that many people dont have that mentality..which they dont. Clearly if we have the largest prison population in the world, there must be a large contingent of people who dont care about going to prison here. (and if we have the largest prison population in the world, they probably arent ALL from the hood...some, sure, but not all) Either that, or to use your rationale, we have more abnormal people than anywhere else on the planet. Additionally, I didnt mention anything about the "hood". You DO realize that richard ramirez, richard speck and scott peterson arent from da hood either right?..they werent too intimidated by the thought either it would seem. I think I even heard somewhere that Charles Manson wasnt from da hood.
Richard Speck was a mass murderer, and frankly (by looking at the Wikipedia page on him) wasn't normal. Unless you find mass murder and torture normal.

If people don't care about jail, then that's their prerogative obviously. the stigma of jail in itself is supposed to keep people away from it, and in fairness i can see how it may not, if a person is appropriately connected once they leave prison. Look, Wesley Snipes is in jail now. Sports stars and actors sometimes go to jail, but because of who they are (and what talent they have) they often get back their old positions in no time once released.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,004,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Richard Speck was a mass murderer, and frankly (by looking at the Wikipedia page on him) wasn't normal. Unless you find mass murder and torture normal.

If people don't care about jail, then that's their prerogative obviously. the stigma of jail in itself is supposed to keep people away from it, and in fairness i can see how it may not, if a person is appropriately connected once they leave prison. Look, Wesley Snipes is in jail now. Sports stars and actors sometimes go to jail, but because of who they are (and what talent they have) they often get back their old positions in no time once released.
I get that, and for sure nothing about Richard speck was normal - at all...not so much the serial murder and torture are abnormal, as his decision to become a woman/full on jailhouse s.lut in prison. But not only do sports stars and celebrities get on track when they are released, regular people who WANT to stay on the straight and narrow have a bevy of resources at their disposal upon release...Obviously, they wont become wealthy millionaires when they are released, nor will they probably work in a white collar job, but they have a ton of resources available to them (paid for by our tax dollars no less) to get them menial work and even education in some instances if they want.

In college I applied to be a CO, but wasnt accepted because I couldnt do it full time. But my friend in college applied and he did work for the state prison system. He would often go to sleep on his tier because so little actually ever happened. For the most part, inmates have their little cliques and etiquette, and their routines, and on average day to day prison life is pretty uneventful. The juveniles and the youngsters are usually the problem causers. Old guys and lifers were pretty laid back according to him. He would go to the prison barber shop to get his haircut for free by inmates, who were training to become barbers when they were released. so, although opportunities arent as plentiful to people who are ex-convicts, they do exist...

Last edited by solytaire; 06-15-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,793,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yeah, blogs are a great source of information when you actually read them and the studies cited
*Fixed.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,854,427 times
I read that study. It's completely unreliable -- and I don't flippantly reject statistics when they are properly interpreted. The problem here, however, isn't one of interpretation, but one of veracity. The author of that study did it in a town he did not name -- thereby making it impossible for other researchers to verify his claims. This raises several possibilities: one, that he made it up (it's rare, but not unheard of for authors to just completely make **** up), and two, that the police department in question does not want to be investigated for what are probably some pretty poor practices in handling rape victims. The second problem is that the author only spoke to police officers -- he never spoke to victims or those claimed to have recanted their accusations, which leaves us with a very scant picture. Most prominent in that picture is the claim that lots of women recant after taking the polygraph. As someone who works with lots of former prosecutors, I know that polygraph test results are inadmissible in court precisely because they are completely unreliable. A polygraph isn't even used to ascertain directly whether someone is lying -- it is used as an intimidation device. In the case of this particular police department, it's likely not the only one, and it's likely used to intimidate bona fide victims into recanting so as to stop the abuse. If anything, this "study" demonstrates the attitudes of this particular police department towards rape victims, not whether women are prone to lying about rape.

And by the way -- the dishonesty inherent in altering someone's post is particularly ironic in light of that latest tripe about women being supposedly the lying gender.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 PM

12,736 posts, read 16,608,863 times
If a woman slaps me, I won't touch her. If she lashes out and intentionally tries to injure me, then I have to protect myself.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,793,026 times
I think the fairest way to look at it is to think of women as 20% smaller men. Can a 130lb man break a nose, stab with a knife, or otherwise cause bodily harm or death? You bet. The point is to simply remove gender out of the equation all together, and the courts and laws need to do the same. We're supposed to be equal after all, so that means equal treatment by both genders OF both genders. Anything less is sexism, pure at simple.

Mind you I think some things that embrace our biological differences is just fine and this issue is close to being such an example for me, but as far as society as a whole goes, so long as women want equality then I say give it to them, warts and all. If a woman hits, slaps, scratches, or otherwise lays a hand on a man, she should be dealt the same response a man would get if he did those same things. This is where the phrase if she hits now she's a man comes into play. I think that's a healthy true equality take on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or