Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:07 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times

Advertisements

A gal pal of mine is looking into online dating. Have any of you found any of the free sites to be any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Free means you have to sort through a lot of riff raff and be VERY choosy.

There's AFF(adult friend finder) but that one was too sexually oriented for me. I don't want to see a guys wing wang BEFORE I see his face.... Get the picture?

There's POF(plenty of fish) and it's kinder and gentler. I used this one and found my SO there. They have good forums too.

I've heard some about cupid.com, mostly positive but haven't used it or spent any time there.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I haven't even had any luck with the ones you have to pay for. There might be another alternative though. I've noticed that the website meetup.com has all sorts of activities and I've been thinking about giving it a try because some of them are for singles. Also, if your friend lives in a fairly large city there are often local singles groups that coordinate various get togethers for like minded people. When I lived in Seattle they had some good local groups and I used to go on these day hikes that were a good way to meet people.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,598 times
On a whim, I tried a free eharmony weekend. After completing the questionnaire, it told me I had too easygoing of a manner and I was denied. (scratches head here) "That" says enough about "free" sites to me.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
A gal pal of mine is looking into online dating. Have any of you found any of the free sites to be any good?
What is the age and sex of your friend?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
They all suck and I used them all. I met quite a few from Adult Friend Finder. In fact I would call that the most honest site. I had some really great times with those I met from AFF. Oh man do I have stories!! Some I joined with zero information just to look and by the next morning my inbox was bombarded with fake invites from fake bots all begging for me...................if only I would pay the fee to find out who.

I actually made quite a few nice contacts from Harmony. None ever turned out. On Harmony where it asks what the most important physical thing I wish for, I said long long beautiful silky hair. I got more damn hate mail from that. What gives? If you want long hair then stay the hell outta the barber shop. How simple is that? Men hate short hair....period!!

Zoosk is all younger crowd but lots of good looking people on it. Match has a great older crowd. If you ever wondered if a woman can still be drop dead gorgeous who would rate a perfect 10 after 50 you need to look at Match. Lavalife has a nice friendly crowd. I met a few women but none thrilled me beyond great conversation. XXXCupid I won't go into for obvious reasons but it is mostly fake with many fake mails coming your way from bots.

Ashley Madison is pretty good as well and is quite sophisticated. you rate your encounters for all to see in many categories. As a non member you can actually have almost full access to all the bells and whistles. If the one you want to meet is a full member then a you as a non member can use all their privileges. This site is very very very expensive but it's cheaper then hiring a Hooker. Ashley Madison has been featured on several talk shows. If you are fairly good looking you will get your pipes cleaned often. Lastly SinglesNet is not worth the trouble. Seems no one is from your area ever.

Finally, Craigslist is aweful for getting SPAM. Post a personal ad on Craigslist and you will get 3 dozen mails from women saying they want to meet you and they will include a link to a dating web site where they say you can view their real pics. The goal is to make you go to the site but you quickly learn you have to join to look at the pictures. SCAM SPAM SCAM SPAM. Then of course you join but can not make contact unless you pay. DON"T DO IT!!! In addition, when you respond to an ad, most ads are fake and these fake ads have one goal. To collect legit emails to sell to SPAMMERS.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Nah, someone rat out of patience, and................ money LMAO

Old 06-08-2010, 08:55 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,430 times
LOL @ Ep-!

I've tried a few free ones and have disappointingly ended up with stalkers/weirdos. I had two friends who met their Husbands on match.com which kinda shocked me as I don't put a lot of faith in these sites. Match.com's not free, but I thought I'd just throw it out there because of the the two successes I know about.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times
Ok Cupid isn't bad...but still has the issues of a free site.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've been a match fan for years, but tried POF after reading about it here. I met a lawyer (great guy, very successful and nice, we dated for 6 months) and I met my current beau there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships