Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "causes" homosexuality?
Biological factors that we are just now beginning to understand. 88 62.86%
Being molested as a child. 3 2.14%
A particularly fabulous strain of the flu! 1 0.71%
Nothing causes it, it is a choice made by the individual. 17 12.14%
An unclean, demonic spirit has possessed or oppressed gays and they need deliverance. 8 5.71%
A combo of 2 or 3 of these options. (Please explain via post) 16 11.43%
None of the above. (Please explain via post) 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times

Advertisements

Fitting in with today's theme (which seems to be homosexuality since there are 2 different threads about it) I decided to attack this subject from a different angle.

I believe scientific evidence shows that having homosexual desires is likely caused by genetics or congenital factors that are outside a person's voluntary control.Therefore, God would not punish someone who is gay because they did not choose to be that way.

Furthermore, early life experiences can also predispose a person towards having a homosexual orientation. I myself had a lesbian friend who had literally hundreds of friends and acquantances (both male and female) whom she knew, and had discussed their mutual "gayness". She said that with a handful of exceptions, almost all had been molested as children.

Many Christians believe that the person who is gay has been possessed, or at least oppressed, by an "unclean spirit".

Many seem to hold to the notion that being gay is a choice, like what kind of car you drive, or what city you choose to live in.

What do you believe causes someone to be homosexual? Is it biological? Spiritual? A simple choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,013 times
I think it's biological.

I happen to be attracted to men. I never woke up one morning and said, "hmm, I think I like guys today". It's just what I'm attracted to and what satisfies me sexually and emotionally. It's who I am. Every gay person I know never woke up and said "hey, I think I like females (or males) today". It's who they are and what they attracted to.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
I think it's biological.

I happen to be attracted to men. I never woke up one morning and said, "hmm, I think I like guys today". It's just what I'm attracted to and what satisfies me sexually and emotionally. It's who I am. Every gay person I know never woke up and said "hey, I think I like females (or males) today". It's who they are and what they attracted to.
I agree...let's see where this goes!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
This topic has been argued and argued for months on end. Why in the world does it continue to be brought up. Who cares why someone is gay?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
This topic has been argued and argued for months on end. Why in the world does it continue to be brought up. Who cares why someone is gay?
Then don't participate! Just about EVERY subject in the religion forum has been argued and argued for months. I'm simply asking where, in someone's humble little opinion, this "behavior" comes from.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 AM

740 posts, read 2,013,628 times
I happen to believe that it is a choice. With her survey on 100's of her friends, and most of them had been molested as children, I believe this to be true throught the homosexual community. And like most children who were brought up in an abusive, drug atticted, or alcoholic homes, they all have to fight to not become a product of their enviroment. Just because you have tendencies to lean in a direction, doesn't mean that you have to follow those tendencies.

Learned behaviors can be modified or corrected with help. If someone was molested at a young age (same sex), is it possible that they think, in some strange way, that this person loves me...and that this is the way that it is supposed to be?

"There are many factors involved in homosexuality, including genetics, dysfunctional family relationships, personal choice, and sexual abuse. Supporting the idea that homosexuality is not normal or healthy, the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality notes that many homosexual men were victims of homosexual abuse when they were children who were lonely and starved for male attention, thus throwing off their internal sexual gyroscopes.

“When this lonely boy receives flattering attention from an older male, then a link is established between love and homoerotic sex,” NARTH says. “The boy comes to believe, ‘If I want love from men, I must have sex with them.’ Thus the normal and natural developmental need of same-sex love and approval has become eroticized. The boy may then develop a compulsive, promiscuous sexual habit pattern, which in gay life is seen fairly frequently.”

Last edited by ibcwife; 07-09-2007 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
I agree with ibcwife that it is a choice. I wouldn't compare it to buying a car or where you live. I think it is a choice but it is a very hard choice to make not to engage in homosexuality because the temptation is very great. We are all born with a great predisposition to sin. Some a lot greater than others for reasons known only to God. There are many burdens and tragedies in this life we must overcome and I believe making the choice not to engage in homosexuality is one of those burdens for many.

I also do think that molestation in childhood years can have a great deal to do with it. I'm not saying every single gay or lesbian has been molested but I think a large percentage have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
I happen to believe that it is a choice. With her survey on 100's of her friends, and most of them had been molested as children, I believe this to be true throught the homosexual community. And like most children who were brought up in an abusive, drug atticted, or alcoholic homes, they all have to fight to not become a product of their enviroment. Just because you have tendencies to lean in a direction, doesn't mean that you have to follow those tendencies.

Learned behaviors can be modified or corrected with help. If someone was molested at a young age (same sex), is it possible that they think, in some strange way, that this person loves me...and that this is the way that it is supposed to be?

"There are many factors involved in homosexuality, including genetics, dysfunctional family relationships, personal choice, and sexual abuse. Supporting the idea that homosexuality is not normal or healthy, the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality notes that many homosexual men were victims of homosexual abuse when they were children who were lonely and starved for male attention, thus throwing off their internal sexual gyroscopes.

“When this lonely boy receives flattering attention from an older male, then a link is established between love and homoerotic sex,” NARTH says. “The boy comes to believe, ‘If I want love from men, I must have sex with them.’ Thus the normal and natural developmental need of same-sex love and approval has become eroticized. The boy may then develop a compulsive, promiscuous sexual habit pattern, which in gay life is seen fairly frequently.”
Hmmmm....I see what you are saying. But we are talking about males and females, and many homosexual have very strong father figures. What about them?

219 posts, read 717,874 times
It is biological, no doubt. The question is whether it is something purely genetic (linked to certain genes not a specific "gay gene") or if it is a combination of genetics and prenatal environmental factors such as excess androgen exposure of the fetus and so forth. But it is definitely biological and not a choice someone makes or the result of bad parenting.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Then don't participate! Just about EVERY subject in the religion forum has been argued and argued for months. I'm simply asking where, in someone's humble little opinion, this "behavior" comes from.
Testy today I see. The entire argument of whether or not gayness is biological, choice, or whatever is meaningless to true Christians. You said it yourself in a previous post that the Bible speaks against homosexual activity.

The only reason the have this discussion and the only time it is ever brought up is when someone is attempting to justify homosexual activity on the basis that God made them that way. Quite frankly, that is a bunch of crud. All sin comes from internal desires.

We were made with sinful natures and hence have all kids of wicked desires; murder, lust, selfishness, to name a few. To justify homosexual activity because God made us that way, also justifies every other sinful act because they also stem from the sin nature. My personal opinion is that God is not responsibile for the sin nature. We did that to ourselves and anyone who uses the argument, that homosexual activity is ok because God made us that way, really doesn't understand God or Christianity. You cannot live a life of unrepentant sin and truly accept Christ in your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality