Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 PM

62 posts, read 263,557 times

Advertisements

I'm always puzzled by the concept of free will.
If you think carefully, free will is very difficult to understand.

If you assume determinism and every action is determined by the conditions which are precedent to that, by definition you action is not free.

If you assume indeterminism and every action is randomly decided, the action is decided by random chance not by you.

From this simple consideration, I'm not sure how anybody claims to have free will.

Is there anyone who understands free will ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:15 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
I don't claim to be an expert but this is how I believe it to be. We have free will in that there is no one that is making decisions for us except ourselves. There may be events that lead up to what is happening but all those events, have been set in motion by whatever the people involved in them have chose to do. At any point in time the path of those events can change with a different choice. You may end up at the same destination but how you got there and how long it took you will depend on the choices you make. My 2 cents anyway.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
I believe that God is love and not some patriarchal father figure. God will not intervene, because godly intervention would make free will obsolete. If free will has become obsolete then there is no point in choosing between good or evil, which makes good and evil itself obsolete.

We can choose to be aware of the consequences of our actions. Those who choose to be aware know that only we are responsible for every action we take. Each action can be done for good or for evil, there is no middle way. In some situations doing nothing is evil.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:42 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,386 times
Yes, you simply have it but there are repercussions for every action and understanding what they will or may be could potentially limit just how free your will can be.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,026 times
I'm not sure we can assume either determinism or indeterminism. Past incidents most assuredly can affect the future, but I don't think it can be assumed that everything is determined, can it? Why is it not possible that reality is a mixture of both determined and indetermined events?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 PM

62 posts, read 263,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
I'm not sure we can assume either determinism or indeterminism. Past incidents most assuredly can affect the future, but I don't think it can be assumed that everything is determined, can it? Why is it not possible that reality is a mixture of both determined and indetermined events?
My point is it does not matter if determinism or indeterminism is true.
As I said in an original poster, in either case, you can not explain free will.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 PM

Phillychief wrote:
Quote:
Yes, you simply have it but there are repercussions for every action and understanding what they will or may be could potentially limit just how free your will can be.
I think that humanity only has 1 option: to be aware or not. Obviously if you have no knowledge of this option (to be aware of the effects of your actions) you can not choose it. Once you are aware you have to make the conscious choice of being good or evil.

While you are alive you will never be free of desire (hunger) or pain or making decisions.

eufo wrote:
Quote:
Past incidents most assuredly can affect the future, but I don't think it can be assumed that everything is determined, can it? Why is it not possible that reality is a mixture of both determined and indetermined events?
But it is. No incident is exactly identical, therfore past incidents are no guarantee for repeated results.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:02 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
My point is it does not matter if determinism or indeterminism is true.
As I said in an original poster, in either case, you can not explain free will.
And my point is that I don't believe reality can be explained as strictly determinism or strictly indeterminism. Therefore, freewill can exist. Or at least there are such a multitude of variables that freewill appears to exist.

If you have ever seen the game Plinko (or something similar), you can see how even rigid physics can appear nearly random. Something that is so predetermined by the physical aspects of the game is virtually impossible to predict.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:08 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,296 times
If there is a god, then there can be no free will. You have some options but then you have to choose between that god and hell. Who would ever choose Hell? It's not an option. No sane person would choose hell. It is like a Mafia choice.
If there was free will, you could have the choice to live wonderfully in paradise for eternity without any god around.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by twixcookie
Quote:
No sane person would choose hell.
The problem here is:
A) That because you assume and / or believe that there is a hell or an afterlife other people automatically also believe what you believe.
B) That there are people who willfully do evil because they enjoy it.
C) That there are people, unlike you and me, who do not believe in good and evil.
D) That there are people who believe that the end justifies the means because they are acting under the authority of a 'higher power'.

And I have not even covered the issue if there is a god or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy