Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mickiel;23023205]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Romans created that criteria , I am not subject to pre-roman criteria in the definition of who I am. Yet the fact that followers of " The Way" accepted that criteria, and Atheist have accepted that criteria, and yes much of the world has accepted the term christianity, forces then the acceptance of the term, and continued use of the term, is thus a proof of a god itself.
This does not logically follow. Simply because a term has meaning does not mean that the thing the term refers or alludes to has existence.

The overused example being a unicorn. We all know the term and use it. We all have a mental picture of an horse like animal with a single horn, most likely white. We also know that unicorns do not exist.

There are lots of other words that we use to describe non-existent things. Our imaginations are wonderful in that way.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post

Romans created that criteria , I am not subject to pre-roman criteria in the definition of who I am. Yet the fact that followers of " The Way" accepted that criteria, and Atheist have accepted that criteria, and yes much of the world has accepted the term christianity, forces then the acceptance of the term, and continued use of the term, is thus a proof of a god itself.
Are you one of those people who prefers to describe themselves as having a personal relationship with God (or Jesus) rather than being christian?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
[quote=sanspeur;23023329]
Quote:
So, then you do not believe that Christ is a god, but only a man. Have I got that right?

No, Christ is the Son of God, and he is not now a man, but a Spirit being. God himself said that he alone is God, and no one besides him is a God, and Jesus was sitting right beside him when he said this.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you one of those people who prefers to describe themselves as having a personal relationship with God (or Jesus) rather than being christian?

No I am not. I do not have a personal relationship with God, I wish I did; I don't know God, and I am not a christian. Yet I believe in God and Jesus, and the bible, with all my heart.

I like God and his way; its impressive.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:

No, Christ is the Son of God, and he is not now a man, but a Spirit being. God himself said that he alone is God, and no one besides him is a God, and Jesus was sitting right beside him when he said this.
So you are a Christian, but without a church....There are more than 33,000 denominations of Christianity, I'm sure you can find a place to fit in.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So you are a Christian, but without a church....There are more than 33,000 denominations of Christianity, I'm sure you can find a place to fit in.

I am not a christian; since you can't seem to get that into your consciousness, I'll help ram it in;

christians believe in a trinity, I do not
They believe in thiting, I do not
They believe in free will, I do not
They believe Atheist are doomed, I do not
They believe in eternal hell suffering, I do not
They believe in the fall, I do not
They believe in evangelizing, I do not
They believe satan is lucifer, I do not
They believe satan used to be a good angel, I do not
They believe in prosperity ministries, I do not
They believe that God cannot be proven, I do
They believe the bible was written by and for them, I do not
They believe salvation is limited to only believers, I do not
They believe Jesus is a God, I do not

And this is just a short condensed list to try and help jar you off of me being christian. I walk alone in my belief!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I am not a christian; since you can't seem to get that into your consciousness, I'll help ram it in;

And this is just a short condensed list to try and help jar you off of me being christian. I walk alone in my belief!
Sanspeur, I think that you can increase that to 33,001 denominations of Christianity.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:

Many of those things are not believed by certain denominations of Christianity either. Most Catholics don't believe in a literal interpretation of the fall, Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in the trinity, hell or that Jesus is God, many Christians don't believe in tithing, the UR Christians don't believe atheists are doomed, eternal hell suffering and that salvation is limited to believers, I don't know any Christians who believe the Bible was written by and for them (to the contrary, they believe the Bible is intended for all humanity), etc. There are 33,000 denominations that all differ in their beliefs but they still identify themselves as Christian, as they believe Jesus is the Son of God and the Bible is the Word of God (whether directly or inspired). You are a Christian to anyone but yourself but if you really want to feel special, keep telling yourself that you "walk alone in your beliefs". Let's look at the definition of a Christian:

Chris·tian (krschn)
adj.
1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.

n.
1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Christian - definition of Christian by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Which of these characteristics don't fit you?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:

Not all Christians believe in those things...What do you think Christ is then, if not a god?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

Fair questions;

Chris·tian (krschn)
adj.
1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.quote;

I do not follow the religions based on the life of Jesus,,absolutely none of them

Quote;
2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.quote;

I totally disagree with how religions interpit Jesus teachings

Quote;
3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.quote; I am not Christlike and I do not manifest any of his qualitys, nor ever claim to.

Quote;
4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.Quote;
I certainly do not relate to the characteristics of christianity. Do you see any christians here supporting me? Relating to me? No, because THEY know I am not christian, you and others just don't know it or accept it, because you NEED me to be christian, in order to feed your rail against them.

Quote;
5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.Quote; Do you view me as loving? I have never loved anyone in my life, I only possess a strong human emotion for certain people in my life, I don't know Love, or I would know God.

n. Quote;
1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Christian - definition of Christian by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Which of these characteristics don't fit you?

I don't follow anything religion based, and I do not live according to the teachings of Jesus. Oh I would like to, but thats just not in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality