Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:00 AM

260 posts, read 230,753 times

Advertisements

Anyone else find a huge, disturbing problem with that story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Yes....

God is making wagers with the devil....I thought God couldn't be around sin. That's like the judge gambling with the convicted felon.
God lets Satan do what he wants with Job---Is this how God rewards someone who is good and loyal to him?
God lets Satan destroy Job's wife and family---People say, "Oh, but God replaced them." People can just be replaced???
When Job asks God "Why???" ---God is snide with him, basically says "who the heck are you?" and goes on with a pompous diatribe.
God basically gives him the "I can do what I want with you" stuff.
You wonder why God would have the need to even take Satan up on a bet.
But that makes as much sense as God punishing Adam and Eve and rewarding Satan with making him Ruler of the earth.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Yes....

God is making wagers with the devil....I thought God couldn't be around sin. That's like the judge gambling with the convicted felon.
God lets Satan do what he wants with Job---Is this how God rewards someone who is good and loyal to him?
God lets Satan destroy Job's wife and family---People say, "Oh, but God replaced them." People can just be replaced???
When Job asks God "Why???" ---God is snide with him, basically says "who the heck are you?" and goes on with a pompous diatribe.
God basically gives him the "I can do what I want with you" stuff.
You wonder why God would have the need to even take Satan up on a bet.
But that makes as much sense as God punishing Adam and Eve and rewarding Satan with making him Ruler of the earth.

Well that just about covers it. Good night folks!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
Nope.

Next?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Nope.

Next?
God's gonna get ya fer lying you know.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Quote:
No, It is one of my favorite stories in the Bible. Job lived sometime after the flood when there were climate changes on the earth causing an ice age. It is recorded in this book that the waters were heped up like a wall, giving reference to glaciers or high mountains of snow.

It is very interesting to see how they spoke to one another and the way they spoke. Very archaic and almost rythmic.

In this book they reference the Behemoth (Some type of Suropod) and the leviathan (A whale but perhaps one of the aquatic dinosaurs).

Even Job references the Father and Son relationship of God.

We see God interacting with Angels including Satan and Man. God tests Job and ultimately rewards him for his faithfulness. I think that the story shows Gods abilities, wisdom and power. It shows his relationship to man and how he considers man. It shows how we should be like Job, to be humble and faithful through all adversities.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
I suppose one can see both sides to the story. On one hand, we see man who has great faith, that God has everything under control, regardless of the circumstances. On the other hand, it is disturbing that God and Satan seem have this running bet going, with a man's life in the balance. Not his physical life, of course, as God told Satan that he couldn't take Job's life, itself, but certainly his life was as greatly affected as one can get, without actually dying. Although, losing one's entire family could cause some people to wish to die, as they would feel they had nothing to live for. I can understand how some folks would look at this story in a negative fashion; I've done so, myself.

I wonder just how much comfort one can really take from this story, if their life is in great turmoil. I think of the mother of the four children, over in Mobile, AL, (not too far from me, as I live in the Florida Panhandle), whose husband threw these precious children, (ages 3, 2, 1, and 4 months), off of an 80-foot bridge, into the bay. As of the last report I saw this morning, this poor mother is still waiting for her last child to be found, so that she might have a funeral for them, together. While I realize that many folks would say that this terrible tragedy occurred because of freewill, on the part of the father, one has to wonder why these children, and their mother, had to suffer for something that ostensibly God could have prevented, in any number of ways. I honestly cannot understand it. Faith is a wonderous thing, but at times like these, I have to admit, it gets a little wobbly.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
God's gonna get ya fer lying you know.
Nah, I'm family.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:
I find the story heartbreaking. I tried to imagine what I would do or say if I was in Job's shoes and realized that I would have probably completely failed the test if I was him.

One thing that one needs to remember that if you look from Christian perspective who believe in life after death, this can be less disturbing, because Job will see all his dead family after he dies. Also, I wonder how Judaism reconciles this story since they claim not to believe in Satan. Unless, this story is completely different in Tanach with completely different meaning.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
I can't wait to meet Job. I'd bet he'd be willing to go through it all again for the sake of those who have been helped by his testimony and witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality