Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,900,836 times

Advertisements

So I've been thinking about this since I was a little kid (or maybe not lol). What if you/and the whole universe was created 1 second ago with fake memories? Can you prove this didn't happen?

Snap your finger. Now, are you 100% sure you just did that or could you have just been created?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:11 AM

134 posts, read 144,565 times
Goddamn I love thoughts like this. I always found Descarte's "I think therefore I am" to be a little silly when trying to prove that we exist, or have existed. Really, I think it is totally possible that we have just been created, or that we do not exist at all. What if your are just the figment of someone Else's imagination? In the end, it doesn't REALLY matter since we do not know, and we can live in blissful ignorance, but really, what a great thought!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:12 AM

428 posts, read 1,627,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
So I've been thinking about this since I was a little kid (or maybe not lol). What if you/and the whole universe was created 1 second ago with fake memories? Can you prove this didn't happen?
Nope. That's what makes lfe interesting!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,931,809 times
Quote:

Snap your finger. Now, are you 100% sure you just did that or could you have just been created?
Nope, no one can which is why nobody takes the "prove me wrong" attitudes seriously.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 AM

414 posts, read 775,430 times
Exclamation By all means ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
Nope. That's what makes lfe interesting!
Here's your lost (?) eye - along with Koechel no. 40

And imagine: nothing has changed !

Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Nope, no one can which is why nobody takes the "prove me wrong" attitudes seriously.
This question isn't meant to be taken seriously, just food for thought.

Last edited by destinedtodave; 11-09-2008 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impplant View Post
Here's your lost (?) eye - along with Koechel no. 40

And imagine: nothing has changed !
umm....what?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,589,683 times
decafdave wrote:
Quote:
That kind of reminds me of the movie The Matrix. Well, I'd have to say that along with the fake memories there would also have to be the instant creation of evidence that those memories are real. For example I have a memory of coming back from the pharmacy at the grocery store about a half an hour ago and getting a flu shot. I just looked at my arm and there's a band aid there just like I remembered. Interesting question though.
By the way, are you from England and did you move to South Carolina? Just curious.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
decafdave wrote:

That kind of reminds me of the movie The Matrix. Well, I'd have to say that along with the fake memories there would also have to be the instant creation of evidence that those memories are real. For example I have a memory of coming back from the pharmacy at the grocery store about a half an hour ago and getting a flu shot. I just looked at my arm and there's a band aid there just like I remembered. Interesting question though.
By the way, are you from England and did you move to South Carolina? Just curious.
Good point.

No I'm a college student in South Carolina and I studied abroad in London. I'm originally from Charleston.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:08 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,931,809 times
Quote:
This question isn't meant to be taken seriously, just food for thought.
It's still a perfectly valid question. We deny such motions because we have no choice, not because we can find any logical rebuttal to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality