Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,301 times

Advertisements

Who should have died? God the Father or God the Son?

John 3:35
The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

John 5:19
Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

In our human world, it is custom for fathers to readily die for their children.
Given the choice, I do not know of any man that would not willingly save his son’s life by giving up his own. After all, we live for our children.
We often say that the sons should bury the fathers and consider it a great breach of the norm and an injustice for fathers to have to bury their sons.
If, on earth as it is in heaven has any meaningful truth to it, should God the Father not be the one to willingly die for His son?
If God is to be our example, are most of us ignoring His example and in that way breaking the first commandment by putting our own desires over His and thus placing some other idea above Him?

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

360 posts, read 444,313 times
I can think of people willing to sacrifice their children.

Look at abortion (granted, that's not true in many cases, but you've got to admit -- killing the fetus for convenience).

Before this turns into an abortion argument I'll stop :P I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant anyway.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Actually, it speaks more to European cultural expectations than real morality issues. Jesus sacrificed himself for the glory of his father, his lord and master, just as in traditional European culture, where the father was master of his family and his wife/children were expected to always follow and defer to him without question with the assumption the father will always act in the family's best interest. Another good example of expectations of fatherhood in old Europe is the film Padre Padrone:

Padre Padrone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, look at the French Ostal system and other holdouts from traditional Europe, modern day remnants of the fires that forged Christianity as we know it today. People assume there is a lot of Hebrew culture in the good book, but as it turns out it is mostly 2000 years of Europe's ideas, both good and bad.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
I can think of people willing to sacrifice their children.

Look at abortion (granted, that's not true in many cases, but you've got to admit -- killing the fetus for convenience).

Before this turns into an abortion argument I'll stop :P I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant anyway.
For sure.

Thanks for not showing your secular view of religious view fool.
I take it that in a ship wreck, you would dress as a woman.
Quite the man. Not.

Regards
DL

Old 06-14-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Actually, it speaks more to European cultural expectations than real morality issues. Jesus sacrificed himself for the glory of his father, his lord and master, just as in traditional European culture, where the father was master of his family and his wife/children were expected to always follow and defer to him without question with the assumption the father will always act in the family's best interest. Another good example of expectations of fatherhood in old Europe is the film Padre Padrone:

Padre Padrone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, look at the French Ostal system and other holdouts from traditional Europe, modern day remnants of the fires that forged Christianity as we know it today. People assume there is a lot of Hebrew culture in the good book, but as it turns out it is mostly 2000 years of Europe's ideas, both good and bad.
Thanks for the history but that does not speak to you in the here and now.

Regards
DL

Old 06-14-2010, 04:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Thanks for the history but that does not speak to you in the here and now.

Regards
DL
Which is why we make stuff up that means more to us, like this:

God is curiously absent from the process, however.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,507 times
Quote:
Who should have died? God the Father or God the Son?

John 3:35
The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

John 5:19
Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

In our human world, it is custom for fathers to readily die for their children.
Given the choice, I do not know of any man that would not willingly save his son’s life by giving up his own. After all, we live for our children.
We often say that the sons should bury the fathers and consider it a great breach of the norm and an injustice for fathers to have to bury their sons.
If, on earth as it is in heaven has any meaningful truth to it, should God the Father not be the one to willingly die for His son?
If God is to be our example, are most of us ignoring His example and in that way breaking the first commandment by putting our own desires over His and thus placing some other idea above Him?

Regards
DL
Who should have died? Neither. His death was meaningless. God can forgive anyone of their sins at any time. He also could do away with the hell that he created (if he really wanted all to be saved).

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
For sure.

Thanks for not showing your secular view of religious view fool.
I take it that in a ship wreck, you would dress as a woman.
Quite the man. Not.

Regards
DL

Uhhhh....(scratching my head)....what?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Uhhhh....(scratching my head)....what?
Success, I hurt your head.

Regards
DL

Old 06-15-2010, 10:39 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Success, I hurt your head.

Regards
DL

Yes like sticks of butter to flowering fields
of man like beasts rampaging through
space. So glad that your sadness and villians
have trumped the fool sliding down the religious
circle slide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality