Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 PM

688 posts, read 2,835,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
It's that first variation that just floors me though, nvxplorer.

I mean, at some point, based on the evolutionary theory, there was no sexual reproduction..then there was some...anyway...I just realized we really need to be over on the Creation/Evolution thread. LuLu is going to get upset with us. (Sorry LuLu, please forgive!!)

Thanks for the discourse though.

Absolutely not upset with anyone here. I think it all goes hand in hand, big bang, creation, evolution, God, The Bible, everything of that nature should be able to be discussed in this thread because it is titled, "Something to consider" and I actually have several sets of presentation to lay out throughout this thread, so go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Alpha wrote:

There are many traits that are neutral and don't have any positive or negative impact on survival. Also, there is a huge variation in any population of any species at any given time. If every plant or animal were almost identical then evolution wouldn't be able to continue because there wouldn't be enough genetic variation to allow change to occur. What's interesting about human beings in particular is that even though we may have individuals with certain traits that might be detrimental it's still likely that these individuals will survive unless that trait causes their death. That's because humans create their own environment which is very protective of all humans because we tend to look after each other. If we were living in extremely difficult circumstances like our ancestors did there are many among us who wouldn't be able to survive because they'd have to fend for themselves and simply wouldn't be able to.

So, did humans create their own environment by making the volcanos erupt, the earthquakes to come, hurricanes and tornadoes come out of nowhere, and ice storms where they freeze to death, or do they just learn to adapt to those particular things as all the other species do?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Evolution does not pit individuals against each other. Evolution does not operate on an individual level, to begin with. Populations evolve, not individuals. If certain traits enhance a population's ability to survive and breed, these traits will be selected.

Social traits are seen throughout nature and are explained quite easily by evolution.

So are we assuming that we are constantly evolving then, and eventually will no longer have the traits or cell structures that cause birth defects, some deadly at birth, and other cell mutations that happen in the body such as cancer, MS, lupus, and various other diseases caused by disfunctioning or mutations of cells? Hey everyone, maybe one day we'll finally have those extra set of arms and hands we've been needing for centuries! Especially us moms! LOL!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:01 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
So, did humans create their own environment by making the volcanos erupt, the earthquakes to come, hurricanes and tornadoes come out of nowhere, and ice storms where they freeze to death, or do they just learn to adapt to those particular things as all the other species do?
Haven't seen this thread in a few days, and again find it fascinating. Are LuLu and I (and a couple of others, I think) the only Christians who find that science and religion can go hand in hand? Or do most here think they are mutually exclusive of each other? I think God spoke it, man's days are as a thousand years to God, the language in the Bible isn't necessarily literal IMHO, so just accept that it happened, no matter the details. No?

Regarding Lulu's question...not sure what you mean? I think that unless we've screwed it all up too bad that yes, we will adapt, but if the problems we have caused are too extreme...well, we're all screwed!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:05 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
So are we assuming that we are constantly evolving then, and eventually will no longer have the traits or cell structures that cause birth defects, some deadly at birth, and other cell mutations that happen in the body such as cancer, MS, lupus, and various other diseases caused by disfunctioning or mutations of cells? Hey everyone, maybe one day we'll finally have those extra set of arms and hands we've been needing for centuries! Especially us moms! LOL!
I'm with you on this one.

I know in a long past thread we talked about variations and that skin color and other racial features were signs of evolution. By that reasoning, if all intercontinental travel were cut off for the next 2 million years or so, there would, in theory, be species on the various continents that would (possibly) be unable to mate. I don't buy that. I think humans will still be humans. Variations aren't evolution(s). And forget the arms, LuLu, I want those eyes in the back of my head that my grandma had!!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:09 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
And forget the arms, LuLu, I want those eyes in the back of my head that my grandma had!!
LOL, no doubt! And my mom's super-sonic hearing!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I'm with you on this one.

I know in a long past thread we talked about variations and that skin color and other racial features were signs of evolution. By that reasoning, if all intercontinental travel were cut off for the next 2 million years or so, there would, in theory, be species on the various continents that would (possibly) be unable to mate. I don't buy that. I think humans will still be humans. Variations aren't evolution(s). And forget the arms, LuLu, I want those eyes in the back of my head that my grandma had!!

LOL! I forgot about those eyes in the back of my head I needed! Wheew, what's taking so long!!!!!!!!!

I agree with what you said before about the contradiction of stating that once there were no sexual reproduction and then suddenly, there was. How? There had to be an beginning animal, which would've had to breed with a different kind of animal, in order to evolve into something else, and just keep happening, over and over until you have the human. Was the first animal a monkey? Or was that the latest one that was used and that's why we are "so similar"? So, there was a speck, and then over the many years that speck became a bigger speck, and then a dot, and so on.....until there was an animal, and at the same time this was going on it was happening with a different kind of speck, and it evolved into a diffrerent animal, and then those breed together to make another, and another speck........you know where this is going. You would think we would see many other similarities with other animals besides the monkey if we were continuously evolving this way. Just as dogs when they mix breeds, you get a different breed all together, but you can usually tell which dogs were bred to make this breed by observing the similarities. If a dog and a goat bred, what kind of animal do you suppose we'd have? {a dogoat, or a goatdog?} Why when we observe animals, they seem to pretty much be sticking with their own kind of species when they mate, if evolution is an ongoing process? Did evolution stop all of the sudden from millions of years of production? Just like with us, we don't seem to mate with any other type of animal? And the majority of us view that to be disgusting and not natural. Why? If we are a just simply product of survival and evolution, why would we not be trying to breed with other animals to evolve into a better species?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:27 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
LOL! I forgot about those eyes in the back of my head I needed! Wheew, what's taking so long!!!!!!!!!

I agree with what you said before about the contradiction of stating that once there were no sexual reproduction and then suddenly, there was. How? There had to be an beginning animal, which would've had to breed with a different kind of animal, in order to evolve into something else, and just keep happening, over and over until you have the human. Was the first animal a monkey? Or was that the latest one that was used and that's why we are "so similar"? So, there was a speck, and then over the many years that speck became a bigger speck, and then a dot, and so on.....until there was an animal, and at the same time this was going on it was happening with a different kind of speck, and it evolved into a diffrerent animal, and then those breed together to make another, and another speck........you know where this is going. You would think we would see many other similarities with other animals besides the monkey if we were continuously evolving this way. Just as dogs when they mix breeds, you get a different breed all together. If a dog and a goat bred, what kind of animal do you suppose we'd have? Why when we observe animals, they seem to pretty much be sticking with their own kind of species when they mate, if evolution is an ongoing process? Did evolution stop all of the sudden from millions of years of production? Just like with us, we don't seem to mate with any other type of animal? And the majority of us view that to be disgusting and not natural. Why? If we are a just simply product of survival and evolution, why would we not be trying to breed with other animals to evolve into a better species?
Alas, dear LuLu, a voice rang out and said to me "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LuLu108 again."

Old 06-20-2007, 02:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
LuLu108 wrote:
Quote:
No, I'm talking about our ability to use tools to shelter us from the environment. I don't mean that we can change nature. For example, we started off making clothing from animal skins and building makeshift shelters out of whatever material we could find. Look at us today. We have people living at a research station at the South Pole because we're able to fabricate materials into buildings that will protect us from severe weather conditions and we can also heat those buildings so we're comfortable. There are animals that will build nests and shelters but nothing that approaches what humans can do.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
LuLu108 wrote:

No, I'm talking about our ability to use tools to shelter us from the environment. I don't mean that we can change nature. For example, we started off making clothing from animal skins and building makeshift shelters out of whatever material we could find. Look at us today. We have people living at a research station at the South Pole because we're able to fabricate materials into buildings that will protect us from severe weather conditions and we can also heat those buildings so we're comfortable. There are animals that will build nests and shelters but nothing that approaches what humans can do.

Yes, it's quite amazing that we can do such things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality