U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 1,520,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
But ChristyGrl, Mystic is not using the term "a God" as most people generally would. For Mystic, all something has to be to meet the requirements of "A God" is that it is made up of whatever forces exist(ed) that ultimately cause(d) our world to be as it is today.

Clearly, we all agree that there are/were forces that ultimately caused our world to be as it is today.

The problem comes when Mystic tells us that his "A God" is proven, because he doesn't include a disclaimer saying that his definition of "A God" is simply referring to what's already proven (plus whatever unknowables there are - but his definition does not define those unknowables so that adds nothing).

Most people would assume he means a conscious being, and he never really corrects people on that before assuming they should already know and creating ad hominems because they don't.

It's just like if I said "Bigfoot exists" without clarifying that "Bigfoot" is the nickname I gave to the earth. But is the earth not frekin big?! It deserves the title "Bigfoot"! You people are so off base thinking "Bigfoot" refers to those ridiculous but lucrative bogus claims of a hairy human-like creature in the woods. Oh right.. in my opinion.
Get a grip Dude! Like Mystics synthesis isn't deeper that that!

We've gotten but a snippet of it...and so far it is the most sensible, logical, reasonable concept for how things came to be...how they are...and how it all relates...that I have ever had the honor of reading. I'm sure it also has wonderfully enlightening components of after mortal life, and Gods interaction with us (directly and through Jesus Christ) that I would consider the greatest of Blessings to be able to assimilate into my mind and heart.

Your "Bigfoot=Big Earth" garbage analogy is a foolish insult to his sincere postings on his synthesis...and speaks volumes of the vibe you put out, relative to his.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM

4,047 posts, read 2,989,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Get a grip Dude! Like Mystics synthesis isn't deeper that that!

We've gotten but a snippet of it...and so far it is the most sensible, logical, reasonable concept for how things came to be...how they are...and how it all relates...that I have ever had the honor of reading. I'm sure it also has wonderfully enlightening components of after mortal life, and Gods interaction with us (directly and through Jesus Christ) that I would consider the greatest of Blessings to be able to assimilate into my mind and heart.

Your "Bigfoot=Big Earth" garbage analogy is a foolish insult to his sincere postings on his synthesis...and speaks volumes of the vibe you put out, relative to his.
You clearly don't understand the nuance of the issues here. I'm surprised you haven't earned an ad hominem from Mystic for your lack of understanding of his two-part position.

1) he says that what we do know about the universe is sufficient to call it "A God" (generic), meaning his generic definition of "A god" is vague enough to apply to the menial amount of information we do know about the universe. This is an opinion, of course - as "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder, "Godliness" is as well.

2) he has (admittedly unproven/unprovable) beliefs that this "A god" is conscious (i.e. a "God consciousness" exists), but he is allegedly not trying to convince us of that.

My post is referring to #1, which you should be able to understand if you reread what I wrote.

Mystic's "Synthesis" refers to #2, which, as intricate, detailed and awe-inspiring as it may be, is still unproven/unprovable beliefs.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Mystic's "Synthesis" refers to #2, which, as intricate, detailed and awe-inspiring as it may be, is still unproven/unprovable beliefs.
I though mystic argument was rather poor.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,223,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I though mystic argument was rather poor.
That was exactly the point we were attempting to make. The argument was based on personal belief and speculation...not based on anything proven or provable at this time.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 AM

3,340 posts, read 1,520,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
That was exactly the point we were attempting to make. The argument was based on personal belief and speculation...not based on anything proven or provable at this time.
I submit... his "sense" of "God" during his meditation IS proof...even though others that do not have use of this sensory perception in themselves, claim it as "not proven". He is being gratuitous to say it is "only" proven to him.

It is not unlike someone that has always been blind, telling a sighted person, that, even though he/she used their sense of sight to observe something over and over again, that does not necessarily prove it is so. Because they themselves are not capable of sight, they do not comprehend the capacity of that sense to gather data for a person that does. They support this contention on the basis that they never saw it, so the fact that you did, doesn't matter...and that they don't believe in the ability of that sense to collect data. Would the blind persons contention make it so, even though the contention is true as far as they are concerned?

I accept the evidence of "God Consciousness" obtained by the many that have the capacity to use extra sensory perception to gain information...even though I don't have a full capability of that myself. I do not discount the millions of accounts of this experience, by those who have had it, as all of them lying or being mistaken...which is what, in fact, would have to be the case for ALL of them to be wrong. Wisdom and common sense tells me otherwise.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM

11,294 posts, read 17,232,502 times
Quote:
submit... his "sense" of "God" during his meditation IS proof...
...that he has a vivid imagination.

That is the only thing it proves.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 AM

23,252 posts, read 11,477,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
...that he has a vivid imagination.
That is the only thing it proves.
You see Gldnrule . . . there is no objectivity among the extremists of both types (theist or atheist) . . . they are all "fundies" for their respective positions. If there was even a modicum of receptivity they would not reject my science-based hypotheses as readily as they reject orbiting teapots, FSM's, fairies, Big Foot . . . whatever. Fundy atheists allow for no exceptions and make no discriminations among "speculations" (otherwise known as hypotheses about the unknown) . . . for plausibility or any other reasonable theorizing. Those who are sensitive to God within will "get it" . . . those who are not . . . will not. Belief cannot be forced or "willed into existence."

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,223,492 times
Quote:
I submit... his "sense" of "God" during his meditation IS proof...even though others that do not have use of this sensory perception in themselves, claim it as "not proven". He is being gratuitous to say it is "only" proven to him.
Surely you understand that his "sense" as you call it is purely subjective and proves NOTHING...don't you????

Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM

25,003 posts, read 18,635,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You see Gldnrule . . . there is no objectivity among the extremists of both types (theist or atheist) . . . they are all "fundies" for their respective positions. If there was even a modicum of receptivity they would not reject my science-based hypotheses as readily as they reject orbiting teapots, FSM's, fairies, Big Foot . . . whatever. Fundy atheists allow for no exceptions and make no discriminations among "speculations" (otherwise known as hypotheses about the unknown) . . . for plausibility or any other reasonable theorizing. Those who are sensitive to God within will "get it" . . . those who are not . . . will not. Belief cannot be forced or "willed into existence."
Hey Mystic...I will believe you....All you have to do is point me to evidence that I can evaluate for myself...I will not take your word for it, any more than a fundies word for talking snakes.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM

11,518 posts, read 8,253,669 times
Quote:

It is not unlike someone that has always been blind, telling a sighted person, that, even though he/she used their sense of sight to observe something over and over again, that does not necessarily prove it is so. Because they themselves are not capable of sight, they do not comprehend the capacity of that sense to gather data for a person that does. They support this contention on the basis that they never saw it, so the fact that you did, doesn't matter...and that they don't believe in the ability of that sense to collect data. Would the blind persons contention make it so, even though the contention is true as far as they are concerned?

I accept the evidence of "God Consciousness" obtained by the many that have the capacity to use extra sensory perception to gain information...even though I don't have a full capability of that myself. I do not discount the millions of accounts of this experience, by those who have had it, as all of them lying or being mistaken...which is what, in fact, would have to be the case for ALL of them to be wrong. Wisdom and common sense tells me otherwise.
Two things....
1.....can you direct us to those 'millions of accounts"?

2.....If this is such a common experience among 'millions' why are you begging Mystic to publish because, if I recall you saying, it is so revolutionary and unique and will transform the worlds' thinking , so to speak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality