Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times

Advertisements

Any type of food bring back memories of days gone by in church, or for those that dont go/believe of a Sunday Afternoon? Mine personally is that my Grandma would get chicken EVERY Sunday for lunch from KFC or a little snack shack place, had to sit and smell it all the way home, without getting a bite she usually invited the pastor over as well, so his kids and me would fight over the drumsticks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Default Sundays after church

OK, enough of the heavy stuff for awhile! I don't know that I have a certain meal or restaurant after church, but I guess I would say Carrabba's Italian Grill. The thing that IS a "tradition" I always look forward to on Sundays is that we always go out to lunch with friends. We do this often at other times as well, but always on Sunday after church. Social butterfly that I am, I have to have my Sunday lunch get together! Followed preferably by a nap!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
Oh my, you are going to make me hungry. It is according to what season it is.

During the Spring, when I want to enjoy the nice sunshine, I enjoy chicken spaghetti, corn on cobb and salad out in the back yard.

Hot, summer months when you can't breathe outside, I used to love/and sometimes still do peas, cornbread, roast with potatos and carrots and my mom's sour cream pound cake. ahhh..wash it down with super cold iced sweet tea with a bit of lemon in it.

During the fall, as the leaves start turning, I turn to old favorites of homemade chili or hot fresh from the oven biscuits with gravy and fried salmon topped off with hashbrowns and eggs. Then, hit the couch. But, usually it is football season and we eat roast beef sandwiches smothered in brown gravy. I do fix mexican dishes if I can get away with it.

Ahh, winter, frosty toes (somewhere anyway) home made veggie soup is top of the list followed closely by home made chicken noodle soup or home made potato soup. DH would rather have fried pork chops, cream potatoes, purple hull peas or pinto beans with cornbread, coleslaw, pickles and onion.

now you have done it, I am hungry. Sigh...gotta get to cooking something good for tonight then.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,953 times
Doughnuts. I especially like them when they're raised and fresh.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:28 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Oh my, you are going to make me hungry. It is according to what season it is.

During the Spring, when I want to enjoy the nice sunshine, I enjoy chicken spaghetti, corn on cobb and salad out in the back yard.

Hot, summer months when you can't breathe outside, I used to love/and sometimes still do peas, cornbread, roast with potatos and carrots and my mom's sour cream pound cake. ahhh..wash it down with super cold iced sweet tea with a bit of lemon in it.

During the fall, as the leaves start turning, I turn to old favorites of homemade chili or hot fresh from the oven biscuits with gravy and fried salmon topped off with hashbrowns and eggs. Then, hit the couch. But, usually it is football season and we eat roast beef sandwiches smothered in brown gravy. I do fix mexican dishes if I can get away with it.

Ahh, winter, frosty toes (somewhere anyway) home made veggie soup is top of the list followed closely by home made chicken noodle soup or home made potato soup. DH would rather have fried pork chops, cream potatoes, purple hull peas or pinto beans with cornbread, coleslaw, pickles and onion.

now you have done it, I am hungry. Sigh...gotta get to cooking something good for tonight then.
Wow, that was picturesque! You can tell you're a writer on this one!...and a cook!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
im hungry....is it time to eat yet?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM

59 posts, read 243,831 times
Veal Piccata

Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,309 times
Since my wife's family is Puerto Rican, we oftentimes have either pernil (garlic roasted pork shoulder), pastilias (hamburger meat in a shell), pasteles (hard to make but great to eat), tostones (sliced green bananas fried) or something like that. If we don't have any of that, we have NYC pizza!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
im hungry....is it time to eat yet?
LOL, it's time to eat. We eat like this at least three times per week, my dh would divorce me if we didn't. Dinner is his only good meal of the day since I have grown lazy and don't cook him beakfast anymore. And he tends to not count what I fix for lunch when he is working on this side of the town, for some reason, lunch simply does not count.

But, you will find that many southerners still cook like this, at least the ones I know do. But, even if they don't, they still like to eat it, my mom has a restaurant and serves staples like this during lunch each day and then has the seafood and steaks and things on weekends. SHe is always packed. No wonder southerners are so uh u know.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow, that was picturesque! You can tell you're a writer on this one!...and a cook!
thanks kaykay. I didn't realize how that sounded. guess it is simply bred into me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality