U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 AM
 
14,237 posts, read 5,736,958 times
Reputation: 3456

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I am not sure what the question is? if you elaborate perhaps I can try to answer.
So you are saying you do not know how things came to be. You think they came to be just because. Not for any other reason. Our world came from nothing and will return to nothing. Is that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 AM
 
9,817 posts, read 7,153,077 times
Reputation: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So you are saying you do not know how things came to be. You think they came to be just because. Not for any other reason. Our world came from nothing and will return to nothing. Is that right?
I don't think anyone knows for sure, my thought would be more in line with the big bang theory, later perhaps evolution rather than being created by god.

I hope the world sticks around, not return to nothing. unless of course man screws it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 AM
 
14,237 posts, read 5,736,958 times
Reputation: 3456
I thought the big bang theory was God. God created everything and it came to be---big bang.

Anyway if not, what caused the big bang? Matter coming together but where did the matter come from? A spiritual creator or intelligent design makes more sense then it came from nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 1,413,239 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I thought the big bang theory was God. God created everything and it came to be---big bang.

Anyway if not, what caused the big bang? Matter coming together but where did the matter come from? A spiritual creator or intelligent design makes more sense then it came from nothing.
And where did that spiritual creator or intelligent designer come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:22 AM
 
9,817 posts, read 7,153,077 times
Reputation: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I thought the big bang theory was God. God created everything and it came to be---big bang.

Anyway if not, what caused the big bang? Matter coming together but where did the matter come from? A spiritual creator or intelligent design makes more sense then it came from nothing.
I really don't have a great deal of curiosity about how the earth came to be. I suspect the matter was just floating around in space. you seem to want to argue what came first the chicken or the egg? I think god came along much later and is an invention of man.

a link for you on the big bang theory simplified. nothing about god at all that I am aware of
The Big Bang Theory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 AM
 
14,237 posts, read 5,736,958 times
Reputation: 3456
So I say God came first and created everything. You say matter came first and somehow it made everything in the world today.

I think a loving God that is all seeing, knowing and supreme made it all. You think happenstance made it all. I still think my belief is easier to go with than yours.

I don't want to make it an argument, only a way to understand each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 AM
 
14,237 posts, read 5,736,958 times
Reputation: 3456
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
And where did that spiritual creator or intelligent designer come from?
That is the mystery but I can tell you one thing. God will tell us someday, matter won't ever tell us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:57 AM
 
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 1,413,239 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is the mystery but I can tell you one thing. God will tell us someday, matter won't ever tell us.
So, this is where your reasoning ends, then?! If there is no explanation in doctrine, it is god's will and he will someday reveal answers. However, when science does not have an explanation, it leads to an instant rejection and there is no "some day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
25,012 posts, read 18,679,388 times
Reputation: 9905
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
So, this is where your reasoning ends, then?! If there is no explanation in doctrine, it is god's will and he will someday reveal answers. However, when science does not have an explanation, it leads to an instant rejection and there is no "some day."
As I explained earlier, when a theist cannot explain something god is inserted into the gap...It must be very painful for then to utter the words "I don't know."

janelle, the only ones that claim that the universe and all that is in it came from nothing are the religious...Science makes no such claim....Science does know that everything in the universe is composed of two things; matter and energy and neither can be destroyed, but only changed from one to the other...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 AM
 
14,237 posts, read 5,736,958 times
Reputation: 3456
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
As I explained earlier, when a theist cannot explain something god is inserted into the gap...It must be very painful for then to utter the words "I don't know."

janelle, the only ones that claim that the universe and all that is in it came from nothing are the religious...Science makes no such claim....Science does know that everything in the universe is composed of two things; matter and energy and neither can be destroyed, but only changed from one to the other...
Where did energy and matter come from? Even science cannot answer all our questions. What do you insert in the gap when science cannot explain everything?

I have no problem in saying I do not know. Religious say all came from God. They do not say all came from nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top