Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

1. How do atheists feel about no heaven when one dies? How do you reconcile the thought of a poor person who has lived their whole like in squalor and misery only to die and have nothing else?

2. How do you feel about murderers, rapists, those who abused children and were very horrible people while alive never receiving any justice after death for the misery they caused?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
1. How do atheists feel about no heaven when one dies? How do you reconcile the thought of a poor person who has lived their whole like in squalor and misery only to die and have nothing else?

2. How do you feel about murderers, rapists, those who abused children and were very horrible people while alive never receiving any justice after death for the misery they caused?
Okay, I'm jumping in here late and haven't read more than a couple pages back but...

I don't believe in an after life so it doesn't matter how I "feel" about anything. It's sort of like asking how I "feel" about 2+2=4.
I would also add that just because someone is poor and lives in squalor does not mean that they live in misery. Money and nice things do not equal happiness. I think we make our own happiness. I've gone through some really tough times - yet I have never been with out love and laughter.
Also, I think that murderers, rapists, etc - get punished in the justice system here on earth. That to me, is justice.

Like I said, I do not believe in an afterlife. I believe that the only happiness and justice that exist are found in this one life that we get to live.
What if you die and there is no afterlife? How are you going to feel about that? Are you going to regret wasting the one life that you had? Are you going to be upset that nobody went to hell? Are you going to be upset that you didn't get to go to heaven? No. I'll tell you - you won't be alive so you won't feel anything!
I guess we'll all find out someday!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:

I honestly think this is what separates believers and non believers....the idea that everyone has just GOT to get what they deserve.

Good people must be given rewards that they didn't get in life. And bad people must be punished for whatever they got away with.

I think it's all the minds way of making things make sense of things that don't seem fair. Obviously life doesn't work that way so we created "after life" to fix all that. Whatever injustices happen in life will be magically fixed after death. But really it's just death, and nobody gets squat. That's a hard truth that many don't want to face.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 AM

494 posts, read 890,393 times
Quote:

How did you feel about all those things during the infinity of time before you were born?

You know, you aren't thinking at all before asking all these questions. You're so blinded by your religious beliefs that you just can't see how illogical your questions are.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:37 AM

How about the thought---I would rather believe there is a heaven and be wrong than to think there is no heaven and be wrong.

After all if there is no heaven than living like there is a heaven makes the person feel good about seeing their relatives again and being happy. If there is no heaven than its mute anyway and we won't know.

Doesn't it make the dying process easier to think we go on somehow and are reunited with our love ones?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
How did you feel about all those things during the infinity of time before you were born?

You know, you aren't thinking at all before asking all these questions. You're so blinded by your religious beliefs that you just can't see how illogical your questions are.
Before I was born I didn't think anything since I didn't exist. I believe God created me and I came into being when I was created, not before.

I am just trying to learn how you think, that is all.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
How about the thought---I would rather believe there is a heaven and be wrong than to think there is no heaven and be wrong.

After all if there is no heaven than living like there is a heaven makes the person feel good about seeing their relatives again and being happy. If there is no heaven than its mute anyway and we won't know.

Doesn't it make the dying process easier to think we go on somehow and are reunited with our love ones?
Those are nice thoughts, and if they give you comfort that's great...Personally there are members of my family who have died that I would rather not see again, although there are many that would be great to see once more. I think that it is wishful thinking, and one of the reasons that religions were founded is the fear of death.

I have no such fear, as I believe my state of consciousness after death will be exactly the same as before I was conceived and I find no reason to fear that.

How about living as if there really is a hell? Doesn't that frighten you, and cause guilt when you mess up with some of those religious rules called sin? Many of these rules make no sense to unbelievers like myself, and I happily ignore them...

So you trade the hope of heaven for the restrictions imposed in your life by your fear of hell....Not a fair trade in my estimation.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Before I was born I didn't think anything since I didn't exist. I believe God created me and I came into being when I was created, not before.

I am just trying to learn how you think, that is all.
God created you? Come on even you know that the credit for that goes to your parents.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:

And I'd rather believe (actually know) that it doesn't matter what I believe because whatever is..IS. You won't get punished for your belief or lack thereof.

I have no problems with happy thoughts...whatever gets you through and all that jazz. But there doesn't have to be a god or a heaven to have happy thoughts. Maybe you can believe you will see your dead relatives in an alternate dimension or something.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Those are nice thoughts, and if they give you comfort that's great...Personally there are members of my family who have died that I would rather not see again, although there are many that would be great to see once more. I think that it is wishful thinking, and one of the reasons that religions were founded is the fear of death.

I have no such fear, as I believe my state of consciousness after death will be exactly the same as before I was conceived and I find no reason to fear that.

How about living as if there really is a hell? Doesn't that frighten you, and cause guilt when you mess up with some of those religious rules called sin? Many of these rules make no sense to unbelievers like myself, and I happily ignore them...

So you trade the hope of heaven for the restrictions imposed in your life by your fear of hell....Not a fair trade in my estimation.
So you really believe you do go on. You always were and you will always be? You will have a consciousness but it will be what? Not like reincarnation?

The thought of hell is scary but I don't live in fear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality