U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:21 AM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,381 posts, read 2,245,338 times
Reputation: 727

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Being a Christian in America I do not worry too much about the attacks. But if you ask people in Poland they will tell you their Christian faith had been under attack and it started with laws saying they had to take down anything that was Christian. Crosses and anything that showed the Christian religion. Most of that country is Catholic and or Christian. Finally they could not even go to church. They finally had to stand up to the government both for their way of life and for their religion.

It happened the same way for Jews. They had to hide their religion and were finally restricted to ghettos. You can see what came from that.

The protests now in our country not to display religious symbols on buildings and public places just may be the start of intolerance for any religion. For now I am secure it won't come to the restrictions that happened in other countries but one never knows and should be on top of things to be sure it doesn't go that way.

I feel confident America is too free to let it happen but people in other countries have been lulled into the false assumption it would not happen to them, not in their country and it did.
Great post. I tried to rep you but it would not let me. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:23 AM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,381 posts, read 2,245,338 times
Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about or what your point is.
My point is that all Christians believe in God, that is the constant, but how they worship him varies in many ways. That is just the way it is because no two people are exactly alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 AM
 
25,170 posts, read 34,115,177 times
Reputation: 6704
The Bible is ancient history, it's abstruse, and it's virtually impossible to please God considering everything is offensive and abominable to him. I can't even have a sexual thought without it being a sin. I can't want to look really good without that being a sin of vanity. I can't get a divorce because that is a sin. I can't get mad if I'm bullied because that's a sin. I can't be gay because that is a sin. The guilt tripping, control, and oppression is endless and petty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:26 AM
 
Location: California
25,511 posts, read 16,848,592 times
Reputation: 17936
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
My point is that all Christians believe in God, that is the constant, but how they worship him varies in many ways. That is just the way it is because no two people are exactly alike.
True. But belief in God isn't limited to Christians. What makes Christians is their belief in Jesus Christ and what he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:26 AM
 
9,693 posts, read 6,965,160 times
Reputation: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The Bible is ancient history, it's abstruse, and it's virtually impossible to please God considering everything is offensive and abominable to him. I can't even have a sexual thought without it being a sin. I can't want to look really good without that being a sin of vanity. I can't get a divorce because that is a sin. The guilt tripping and oppression is endless.

not to mention religion and god were thought to have come into existence to keep the people in line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:26 AM
 
14,167 posts, read 5,562,504 times
Reputation: 3440
Get the Newt Gingrich documentary, "Nine Days that Changed the World." It's about Pope John Paul the Second and how he helped Poland defeat the communists. After he became Pope the communists could not keep him from visiting his home country and helping the people restore their churches, etc. They had been under the domination of the communists for years but they got the courage to go on strike and start the Solidary Movement. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM
 
25,170 posts, read 34,115,177 times
Reputation: 6704
Religious leaders use communist type methods to control the people. It's the same evil as communism but in different goofy hats and outfits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Get the Newt Gingrich documentary, "Nine Days that Changed the World." It's about Pope John Paul the Second and how he helped Poland defeat the communists. After he became Pope the communists could not keep him from visiting his home country and helping the people restore their churches, etc. They had been under the domination of the communists for years but they got the courage to go on strike and start the Solidary Movement. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM
 
14,167 posts, read 5,562,504 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The Bible is ancient history, it's abstruse, and it's virtually impossible to please God considering everything is offensive and abominable to him. I can't even have a sexual thought without it being a sin. I can't want to look really good without that being a sin of vanity. I can't get a divorce because that is a sin. I can't get mad if I'm bullied because that's a sin. I can't be gay because that is a sin. The guilt tripping, control, and oppression is endless and petty.
You have not studied it have you? A feeling is not a sin. It's what you do with the feeling that would be sinful.

We also have forgiveness. God is very forgiving and only needs to be asked with a contrite heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:33 AM
 
25,170 posts, read 34,115,177 times
Reputation: 6704
I did study the bible. And sinful thoughts are considered sinful according to the Calvinistic bible church I used to attend. And I need to make it clear that I in no way thought I was attending such a fundamentalist church. I was lead to believe it was a really open-minded progressive church for young minds. It's wasn't. The liars. In fact I was lead there by a friend who wanted me to attend casino night at the church. They had a very elaborate casino night and I was very impressed with the fun vibe. That's why I returned for more.

They also tried to turn me against Mormons and other religions. They spent a lot of time putting man-kind down as unimportant. And "love thy neighbor" was never brought up. That's when I fled the church. It took about 3 bible study sessions and 3 sermons for me to realize the nastiness. And I never took a church seriously again.

I'm very cool with gay people and same-sex marriage. I'm also cool with atheists, Buddhists, and philosophers that do not follow a God. I'm a skeptic and I doubt any church would want an outspoken person like me there to question and criticize their reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You have not studied it have you? A feeling is not a sin. It's what you do with the feeling that would be sinful.

We also have forgiveness. God is very forgiving and only needs to be asked with a contrite heart.

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-27-2010 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 01:34 AM
 
14,167 posts, read 5,562,504 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Religious leaders use communist type methods to control the people. It's the same evil but in different goofy hats and outfits.
You are not forced to be Christian, it is all voluntary. Ask the Polish people if they volunteered to be controlled by the Communists. With millions of their people killed when they did not want it, I think you will have them tell you it was not voluntary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top