Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
We have the separation of church and state and our constitution says everyone has the right to whatever religion they want. We have freedom of religion, it does not say freedom from religion. Our country wanted people of all religions and faiths to come here so they wanted people to be free to worship the way they wanted and not to stop that like it was in England under the king.

I think religion and government can be very complementary to each other. In fact, prayer is used to start many government events. The Senate is opened each morning with a prayer.
Freedom of religion must include freedom from religion. The US is not a theocracy.

What say you about this prayer in the senate? Hindu prayer in Senate disrupted - Politics - msnbc.com

Or this one? http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/4686200.html

Do you think the opening prayers should be restricted to Christian prayers? As far as I'm concerned the only value to these prayers is the tradition, otherwise they are useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 10:39 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I think it should be allowed. Our country welcomes ALL religions.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I think it should be allowed. Our country welcomes ALL religions.
Agreed. I'm guessing that we would have to wait a long time for the senate to be opened with an address from an atheist rather than a prayer though...What would you think of that?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I don't know what an atheist would say. I don't believe in God so I don't know why I was asked to say a prayer? Something like that?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 AM

Well of course it wouldn't be a prayer, but perhaps it could be something motivational.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default "Feed me, man: I'm runnin' out of ammo and there's still lots of 'em left!"

janelle144; your comment is telling of the Christian mindset...

Quote:
"I don't know what an atheist would say. I don't believe in God so I don't know why I was asked to say a prayer? Something like that?"
...is somewhat condescending, as in: "what possible useful or intelligent thing could an atheist possibly have to say?"

You mean, coming from a person not suffering from the rigid spiritual restrictions of a biblically-mandated ancient tribal-chanting sort of incantation? Like that? What could we silly unethical atheists possibly offer by way of a spiritual or uplifting and affirming thought for the day??

Oh, perhaps something like:

"Let us stop for a moment to revel in and value the freedoms so enshrined and fought for in this country, that allow each and every citizen the right to their own private spiritual beliefs, without the onerous mandates or restrictions imposed by any one religion or particular God icon."

Or something like that. (It was just off the top of my head after all). The protester in sanspeur's link should perhaps go to jail for a while. You know; as a shining example of what our Constitution thinks of Christianity's deep-down belief that, if only it were in charge, we'd have a nice North American version of The Spanish Inquisition.

Benny Hinn as Minister in Charge, or the theo-political ravings of Pat Robertson piped into every mall, school and public building, and opening every daily broadcast on NPR or the CBC..... or initiating each new day in high-school science class.

Just lovely. Here; wait while I get my full-auto rifle.....

Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
Reading the bible for yourself is not a good thing. You see all the wackos out there who try to interpret the bible for themselves and the trouble they get in. For instance, one needs to understand Jewish culture to understand the Old Testament. We are social beings we need to learn with feedback from others.
Quote:
I never said anything about gays, you did. I think the biggest erosion of marriages is about selfishness.

I was stating what that article said about gays contributing to the so called erosion of marriage.

So the average person shouldn't just be able to pick up the bible and read it? Why would a god who cared make it so complicated? That makes no sense at all.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:54 PM

815 posts, read 1,543,941 times
I trust in that that is written in bibles. But. I do not think events in that time and places. In it Christians are guilty. They became korupted, have made many errors and attempts to show , bad in a beautiful cover. Yes. They are spiritual. But. They incorrectly see the "sacred books". Christians do attempt to prove existence of Jerusalem in a wrong place. Scientists, historians, archeologists... They do not wish to see and search for the present places of events. Are under influence of a policy and nationalism of "the Christian nations".Christians can find all proofs in a current of year.
-----------------
Christian spirituality is turned head over heels. They should understand that their problem - to become Gods.
Bible Demons ( Good Jahve ) did not wish to direct people on a way of spiritual development. Have made people the slaves.
If they knew , far back in the past for a long time would be more developed than atheists and would create the Worlds.
-----------------
Iegova Jahve laughs at people. Because it can use people for the benefit. Therefore he names their :"sinner".

Last edited by eloy; 07-05-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 04:01 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well of course it wouldn't be a prayer, but perhaps it could be something motivational.
Perhaps something along the lines of ethics, accountability, responsibility to the electorate, and -- simply -- "always do the right thing", instead of being driven by selfish motives and greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
So the average person shouldn't just be able to pick up the bible and read it? Why would a god who cared make it so complicated? That makes no sense at all.
Maybe because people are more physical than spiritual. The physical is the realm we live in, so it is easier for humans to relate to that. We're not so aware of our spiritual side; indeed, many deny they have a spiritual side. God is spirit, and we have to relate to God with our spirit. That makes it more complicated, especially if a person does not know that he or she has a spirit, or denies it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
janelle144; your comment is telling of the Christian mindset...

You mean, coming from a person not suffering from the rigid spiritual restrictions of a biblically-mandated ancient tribal-chanting sort of incantation? Like that? What could we silly unethical atheists possibly offer by way of a spiritual or uplifting and affirming thought for the day??

The protester in sanspeur's link should perhaps go to jail for a while. You know; as a shining example of what our Constitution thinks of Christianity's deep-down belief that, if only it were in charge, we'd have a nice North American version of The Spanish Inquisition.

Benny Hinn as Minister in Charge, or the theo-political ravings of Pat Robertson piped into every mall, school and public building, and opening every daily broadcast on NPR or the CBC..... or initiating each new day in high-school science class.

Just lovely. Here; wait while I get my full-auto rifle.....
Your post is telling of how little you understand about what you call "the Christian mindset". You have preconceived notions, and proceed to to lay bare what you think...

"...if only it (Christianity) were in charge, we'd have a nice North American version of the Spanish Inquisition."
"Benny Hinn as Minister in Charge..."
"...or the the-political ravingts of Past Robertson piped into every mall, school and public building..."
"...and opening every daily broadcast on NPR or the CBC..."

Drippping with sarcasm and demeaning, not conducive to a healthy exchange of ideas at all. It's the stuff that the op listed in the opening of this thread. You and a few others (not all) here have proven the case that there are those who are always ready and willing to attack Christianity.

Last edited by swbtoo; 07-05-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 05:31 PM

815 posts, read 1,543,941 times
" I have trouble understanding, but what I do understand, I see you are somewhat off the right path in your thinking."
What my way?
I am not limited by atheistic and religious thinking.
I can prove authenticity of the Turin bed-sheet and and ... All is simple. It is necessary to cease to think in a stream of our time. Without effort it is possible to use a science against atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality