Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think one issue is even if it does occur it may not mean much. I do not believe in the Pledge of Allegiance, but I found myself saying it during a memorial for 9-11 victims. Did this mean I'd had a real change of heart on nationalism? No, not really. My main loyalty is still to God and Humanity, it can't/mustn't be contained within the bounds of some ephemeral nation. Especially one created by Masons, Deists, and Anti-Catholics. Still it really upset me at first that I'd done it as it seemed a breach of principle. I decided it was more about solidarity to the victims and a kind of conformity you feel in a group situation.

So if an atheist is in with a bunch of doomed soldiers I think it probably is likely he/she would pray if the others pray. However I think that might simply be the bond among soldiers or a sense of solidarity. The atheist I knew best would pray with my Mom on occasion. Not all atheists are obsessed with their atheism 24-7. I think he felt that praying with my Mom was comforting for her and he was being a good friend. (I think he might have been going through an agnostic phase at that point, but I've heard of atheists who see prayer as harmless if pointless. Lots of people will do "harmless if pointless" things on special occasions to make someone happy.)

Even if an atheist prayed alone when they felt they were in certain doom they could just decide afterward it was a kind of temporary insanity. Soldiers will cry out for their Moms even if there Mom is dead. So an atheist could say it was simply an irrational moment where regressed into childhood and I don't know if I could say otherwise. Although this means it might vary depending on whether the person was raised atheist or became atheist after childhood.
I really do find your posts thoughtful. Yes. There is a very strong feeling (perhaps out of respect)to go with the flow, even if it goes against your personal convictions.

However, to get to the OP again, as to atheists in foxholes, there is a considerable argument that not every atheist by any means in a life or death situation would start praying, at least with any sincerity. I recall a poster making the interesting point that the survival reaction would probably be to concentrate on working out how to survive.

However, even if atheists did predominately pray for deliverance in life - threatening situations, that would not do one darn thing to prove a God existed, only the strength of the instinct to invent one when one feels that one's own resources may not be enough.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2010 View Post
I have head this before. Atheists pray in foxholes.

Has anyone experienced this in battle or heard of this first hand?
That they do. Fear and terror does wonders

Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
That they do. Fear and terror does wonders
Believers and their fear, inseparable, irrational, but you never find one without the other.

Pass

Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
The correct wording is: "There are no atheist in a foxhole." I personally I think this is more true of 5th grade algebra exams, that was the last time I prayed. It didn't work.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I personally I think this is more true of 5th grade algebra exams, that was the last time I prayed. It didn't work.
That's because you prayed amiss, lusting after a high score so you could pridefully boast of thine exploits.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
An atheist doesn't pray in a foxhole, but sure as hell wishes that fool beside him would unclasp his hands, open his eyes, pick-up his rifle and start shooting back.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That's because you prayed amiss, lusting after a high score so you could pridefully boast of thine exploits.
And all this time I thought it was because I didn't study.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I had one guy I knew that was an marine and he used to say.

"There aren't any athiests in foxholes...............and from the random carnage around here apparently there aren't any gods in them either."

Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
This is quite the thread.

It ranges from a dumb quote from a horrible movie, to a post of somebody describing how they kindly told everybody in their hospital room to get the f*** out, to someone whose grandma forced atheism on them after an unsuccessful plea to God in a concentration camp, to another who seems to have wasted 20 years of their life trying to decide whether to believe or not before realizing it is not logical nor rational to believe, to others either boasting of being in near-death experiences, or plain making stories up to celebrate their exceptional poise and stoicism.

Also, for good measure, another poster who thinks the original quote was one with an airplane about to crash. Really? So the airplane came first, then the foxhole. Brilliant!

Back on-topic: the quote is for a person with no earthly means for survival. Total desperation, total despair, nothing they themselves or anybody around them can physically do to save them.

The message is, that God is natural to all of us, He is in our nature, our very being. And even those who reject Him for a lifetime, invariably come back to Him when their time is up.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
The message is, that God is natural to all of us, He is in our nature, our very being. And even those who reject Him for a lifetime, invariably come back to Him when their time is up.
What makes you so sure? Counterexamples abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality