Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evolution?
Yes 112 78.87%
No 30 21.13%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Hi GldnRule,

Thank you but your apology was far too humbling. I am by no means a brilliant person. The people who do the actual scientific investigation, the analyzing, hypothesizing, research, and who submit their works to a rather fierce scientific community to be horrendously scrutinized are the real brilliant ones - and the brave ones.

Sadly, it is my feeling that we live in a day and age where all of this readily available information or the understanding thereof is seen as "elitist," weird, or a sign that someone has serious mental problems. The fortitude with which to capture knowledge in this day and age, with so much of it abundantly available, seems lost to a general public unconcerned with how much we know or how far we can actually take ourselves if we simply put forth the effort. My frustration was largely borne from that perceived mentality.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I harbor no ill will or resentment to you. It's in the past. If I said I'd never done such a thing I'd be lying so I can also understand how these things happen. I do appreciate your candid and formal apology as it shows true character and I humbly but graciously accept it and hope we can move forward in a positive manner from here.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks4 View Post
Do you believe in evolution?
Yes, I believe in evolution, and I believe in God too.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Hi GldnRule,

Thank you but your apology was far too humbling. I am by no means a brilliant person. The people who do the actual scientific investigation, the analyzing, hypothesizing, research, and who submit their works to a rather fierce scientific community to be horrendously scrutinized are the real brilliant ones - and the brave ones.

Sadly, it is my feeling that we live in a day and age where all of this readily available information or the understanding thereof is seen as "elitist," weird, or a sign that someone has serious mental problems. The fortitude with which to capture knowledge in this day and age, with so much of it abundantly available, seems lost to a general public unconcerned with how much we know or how far we can actually take ourselves if we simply put forth the effort.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I harbor no ill will or resentment to you. It's in the past. If I said I'd never done such a thing I'd be lying so I can also understand how these things happen. I do appreciate your candid and formal apology as it shows true character and I humbly but graciously accept it and hope we can move forward in a positive manner from here.

Thankyou for accepting my apology. I assure you an improved "vibe" from me. I'm hip to my error, and vow to try to do better in the future.

This society loves mediocre and "low end" mental stimulation. They subsist on "reality" TV shows, "rap" music, and "fast" food from the drive-up window. Any one "train wreck" celebrity captures more attention than all the behind-the-scenes "sweat and blood" work being done in labs and research centers combined. After a time of being bombarded with it from all sides...we equate (as I so foolishly did) interest in that over much more meaningful info as "having a life". And "sad" it is.

The general population has adopted what used to be frivolous escape, as the norm...and views serious discourse as pompous and stuffy. MTV is way more popular than NOVA, unfortunately. And the next generation of middle-aged adults will be even worse...I see them now...and it's not encouraging. Oh well...hopefully countries other than the U.S. will pick up the slack even more than they already are.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Thankyou for accepting my apology. I assure you an improved "vibe" from me. I'm hip to my error, and vow to try to do better in the future.

This society loves mediocre and "low end" mental stimulation. They subsist on "reality" TV shows, "rap" music, and "fast" food from the drive-up window. Any one "train wreck" celebrity captures more attention than all the behind-the-scenes "sweat and blood" work being done in labs and research centers combined. After a time of being bombarded with it from all sides...we equate (as I so foolishly did) interest in that over much more meaningful info as "having a life". And "sad" it is.

The general population has adopted what used to be frivolous escape, as the norm...and views serious discourse as pompous and stuffy. MTV is way more popular than NOVA, unfortunately. And the next generation of middle-aged adults will be even worse...I see them now...and it's not encouraging. Oh well...hopefully countries other than the U.S. will pick up the slack even more than they already are.
It's conversations like this that make me wish I could strap into a time machine and go back to sporadic points in human history. I've always thought of the Greeks as a very civilized, highly intellectual ancient culture. But, do you think the majority of their citizens were essentially non-plussed or simply uninterested by the thinkers of their time?

To some extent, the thoughts of Aristotle, Plato, Pythagoras, Euclid, etc... must have been talked about at the local agora. They had their own versions of "the media" at the time and they also had a number of different ways to spread various ideas among the populace. Perhaps it's a generally human characteristic similar to the rich and poor where 10% of the people hold the wealth of knowledge and 90% of the people are simply without it or severely lacking it?

What we talk about now in regards to the Greeks is how advanced, knowledgeable, and civilized they were. But, that's probably what archaeologists 5,000 years in the future may say about us without ever having dug up a music video of Jay-Z. The archives of Greek knowledge were largely protected, much like ours are. So, it would only make sense that the uncovered remnants of, say, The Smithsonian in 5,000 years time would lead future archaeologists to say "Wow, these people were really advanced for their time!"

I could see it now... If only those future archaeologists could dig a little further, they would find the remains of a Best Buy stocked with Lady Gaga CD's.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default What? You don't like Lady Gaga?

Hey now...

She's very pretty!

Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
There's debating, and then there is, well, you know. Just like there is stating a belief that you think homosexuality is wrong...and then there is the Westboro Baptist Church crew.

No different than the Fundies making claims about things they have no proof of...you make claims about what you assume I think or believe.

I have no problem with people rebutting my view...but stick to the main point I was making, don't assign views to me I never stated...and don't put up ridiculous arguments to try to support obsessive compulsive behavior. And, if you please, "season" it with a little snark (not mean-spirited insults or disrespect) to make it interesting. Is that too much to ask?!

I don't accept ANYTHING without basis...such is my belief in God. I don't believe in the sundry hocus-pocus stuff falsely assigned to God by corrupt people looking to further their agenda of a quest for money, power, and control...I just believe in a God to the extent of the answers to what you call the "we don't know" issues...How everything got here, and what instigated/initiated the known processes. Beyond that I put no stock in the man infused attributes of God.

I know you don't like hearing this from me...but if you want logical, reasonable, sensible, Truth---Mystic has it. He's the best thing since Kant...actually, better IMO. I've never known of, heard of, or read anything by a more enlightened, inspired man. He's a true gift to us.
Sorry for some strange reason I thought I was replying to sukrill... not to sure why I didn't read your name, and assumed it was him..

Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
It's conversations like this that make me wish I could strap into a time machine and go back to sporadic points in human history. I've always thought of the Greeks as a very civilized, highly intellectual ancient culture. But, do you think the majority of their citizens were essentially non-plussed or simply uninterested by the thinkers of their time?

To some extent, the thoughts of Aristotle, Plato, Pythagoras, Euclid, etc... must have been talked about at the local agora. They had their own versions of "the media" at the time and they also had a number of different ways to spread various ideas among the populace. Perhaps it's a generally human characteristic similar to the rich and poor where 10% of the people hold the wealth of knowledge and 90% of the people are simply without it or severely lacking it?

What we talk about now in regards to the Greeks is how advanced, knowledgeable, and civilized they were. But, that's probably what archaeologists 5,000 years in the future may say about us without ever having dug up a music video of Jay-Z. The archives of Greek knowledge were largely protected, much like ours are. So, it would only make sense that the uncovered remnants of, say, The Smithsonian in 5,000 years time would lead future archaeologists to say "Wow, these people were really advanced for their time!"

I could see it now... If only those future archaeologists could dig a little further, they would find the remains of a Best Buy stocked with Lady Gaga CD's.
If you went back to the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, and other "raise the bar" type civilizations, you would see a much bigger disparity in the literacy level of the guys doing the thinking and the slaves/peasants/surfs doing the sweating...than you see now between management and labor. Back then you probably had a 98% illiteracy rate. You'd have a work site with tens of thousands of dudes building on a pyramid, the Parthenon, the Colosseum or some other cool structure...and NOBODY but the head guys educated. Hate to say it...but if you want to see the worst traits in man...check out those cultures...we treat our pets way better than they treated other humans. They'd probably have a 100 per day die from being whipped to death working in the sun in 115 degrees in the middle of the desert. They never would have got the job done if they had OSHA then! LOL! I'm sure those workers were way more worried about trying to get some food and surviving, than contemplating how smart the bosses were. WE know they were REEEEEEAL smart...because we see what they built...and know what they had to work with. Some of it we STILL aren't sure how they did it--Especially the Pyramids. But DAMN people back then were cruel! And it appears...thought nothing of it.

Western Civilization 2010...and everybody is reasonably smart (very few illiterates) and an incredible amount are Super Highly Educated with 18 to 20 years or more education...advanced and ultra advanced degrees. We are soooooo civilized...something as mundane as rudeness, is considered an offense egregious enough to take exception to...or feel guilty about. We have the most highly evolved interaction between humans EVER. It sure makes for good living. Some stuff still sux...but it gets better all the time.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
There's nothing to BELIEVE. It's a fact. To say one doesn't believe is like saying that the sun is not in the sky.

Having said that, I do believe that God's work is IN the evolution of life, creating, creating, creating.

People need to get a bigger view of God.
Actually, no it is not a FACT...its a theory...big difference.

That said, I don't know if I believe in evolution....some parts of it are more than likely true, but I'm not so sure I believe that man evolved from monkeys or fish.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Actually, no it is not a FACT...its a theory...big difference.

That said, I don't know if I believe in evolution....some parts of it are more than likely true, but I'm not so sure I believe that man evolved from monkeys or fish.
Probably because man didn't evolve from monkeys or fish.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Do you believe in magic?
In a young girls heart
How the music can free her
whenever it starts....... sorry this song came to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality