U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,671,947 times

Advertisements

I live in the Bible Belt, and believe it or not I can't recall ever seeing a Christian going door to door trying to convert people. I had a guy hand me a pamphlet once at the grocery store, and I've seen a few street preachers, but never door to door. Now Mormons and JW do the door to door thing, though I don't see that very much any more either. I'm guessing they aren't warmly received in these parts. Once I was practically walking out the door to go somewhere and two Mormons came to the door wanting to tell me about their religion. I told them I was about to leave, but I'd love a copy of the Book of Mormon. They gladly gave me one and left. I asked for it because I figured my dad, as a Christian preacher, would be interested in learning about the beliefs of others. He wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,264,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Why did my thought irritate you so much? I don't get it.
I explained why already.

Maybe this is a new thought to you, but it's not a new thought here. It's not even a very funny thought as jokes can grow rather stale on repetition and this one has been repeated ad nauseum by nonbelievers. Even if not intended to it's also like fishing for compliments and I'm rather cold on that in general.

Most groups, believers or non-believers, do not go door-to-door. So there's nothing really unique, or all that interesting even, in not going door-to-door. It's like when someone thinks they're really funny by telling tired old knock-knock jokes. Your eyes may roll at that as mine do at this.

Quote:
You say that doorknocking is not a problem. I lived in a big city and had to specifically post on my door "No JW's Mormons or any other religious group" because I was so sick of them. It was at least once a week! I guess it depends on the area and the mentality of the churches in that area.
I guess living in a city sucks, I don't know what to tell you. I've never lived in cities, but I don't know why such things would necessarily be any different than traveling vacuum salesman or something. If it's all nonsense to you it's pretty much the same I'd think.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,370,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
All we ever wanted was to be left alone.
That's exactly the way I feel about it.

That music by Sacred Spirit in the Native American Ten Commandments is splendid! I don't think I would mind if someone knocked on my door to tell me about those Commandments. I already try to live by most of them.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 PM

697 posts, read 879,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Baptists hate to see the Mormons or JW coming as much as anyone else.
Lutherans too. We once let a Kirby salesman into our home (we thought we'd won a free carpet cleaning) and after about 2 hours when we finally got it through his head we were not buying a Kirby, out came his JW pamphlets! He would not leave until we threatened to call the police. We didn't even get a clean carpet out of the deal.

Long story short, we have never fallen for the free carpet cleaning trick again and we don't even answer the door for JW's.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,083,132 times
Quote:
This thought crossed my mind recently and it amused me. Could you imagine if non believing groups went doorknocking to try and deconvert Christians? Handing out tracts and little magazines. Do you think they'd be angry? I'm not sure. Some probably would be. Others would like the challenge. And there would be a few quacks that would protest and try to have "laws passed" to stop it. When I was in church I NEVER one time went on those silly doorknocking trips. I was to embarrassed. I mean how obnoxious!

Just as a side note, one of my relatives posted on her facebook page recently that she was awoken by her dog barking at 4 in the morning by a doorknocker putting church flyers and tracts in her screen door. Wow.
You're kiddin right? If an atheist went door to door in the middle of the bible belt he wouldn't make a dozen houses before somebody sicced a pit bull on Moderator cut: deleted and pulled out a loaded 12 gauge shotgun. Southern Baptist don't know anything about that "do unto others" and "love thy neighbor" stuff.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-14-2011 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,309,966 times
Quote:
This thought crossed my mind recently and it amused me. Could you imagine if non believing groups went doorknocking to try and deconvert Christians? Handing out tracts and little magazines. ...
I pray for them to come knocking, as I consider all of them my personal mission field. I invite them in to hear my own personal testimony of Salvation in Jesus' Name, if they want to come in and hear me...mostly, though, they do not come in; and some of them hasten away as fast as they can go, because they are not trained to know the Word of God and cannot reply to someone who does know Jesus as LORD and Savior and who also knows His Word. They can only give canned responses to those whom they seek to seduce into dead religions, like they have been.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,075,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
I pray for them to come knocking, as I consider all of them my personal mission field. I invite them in to hear my own personal testimony of Salvation in Jesus' Name, if they want to come in and hear me...mostly, though, they do not come in; and some of them hasten away as fast as they can go, because they are not trained to know the Word of God and cannot reply to someone who does know Jesus as LORD and Savior and who also knows His Word. They can only give canned responses to those whom they seek to seduce into dead religions, like they have been.
Actually, I'd say you're probably "on something" YSM, since I sincerely doubt you've ever been canvassed by atheists knocking at your door. It's not how any of them act or think. Only devout Christians canvas against the invitation of private citizens. Since there is no god, and atheist door-knockers (the subject pf this thread...) fully understand that fact, what on earth would they be selling?

The OP's point here is that Christians would not allow such signs of "directed affection and concern" for their fellow man by atheists.

You've probably just chased off some JWs or such.. As to knowing the Word of Your God, you've already proven to all of us that you have a pretty bizarre understanding of those subjects, that the sun is a bunch of mirrors reflecting heavenly, godly light, that the universe rotates around the earth etc etc.

So good luck with waiting up for the arrival of some evil roving atheist "mobs".

Old 02-13-2011, 11:40 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
Well, knocking on doors, maybe not, but I have had atheists randomly approach me to tell me that they do not believe in God. I tell them I'm not interested in hearing about it, and that they need to get away from me.

I'd say the same to a theist that did the same thing though.

As for knocking on doors, I never answer the door anyhow--so that's ineffective.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,705,281 times
I'd be afraid to meet this old gal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0p4_...341343E4BAB2E2

Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,083,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'd be afraid to meet this old gal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0p4_...341343E4BAB2E2
When I was a youngster in my late teens my parents worked in Oak Ridge, TN as part of the Manhatten project. Three young girls who were serving their required time as Mormon missionaries came to our house and it worked out just fine. They gave me a copy of the book of Mormon when I promised them I would read it...which I did and in return I taught them about atomic energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or