U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 PM

22,104 posts, read 28,170,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
In NYC they (chabad) used to go around asking if you were Jewish, and if you were, had you put on tfillin yet that day, and if you said no, they offered to help you do it. Also did that at the wall in Jerusalem.

IIUC they have been more subtle in the states lately - running summer camps, holiday events, services with lots of free food, stuff like that. Still trying to win (jewish) souls, but not as aggressive. I have heard (from a semi-reliable source) of folks approached on the bus in Toronto("are you Jewish"), and there are reports in the Israeli press of fairly aggressive approaches by Chabad over there.

TBH, I have had no real direct exposure to Aish, so I dont know about them.

My vague impression is that Bratslav is kind of pushy in Israel as well, but I dont know if thats just to convince folks to do the nachman chant -(chabads agenda is complex - they seem to want you to A. observe more mitzvot B, Become orthodox C. Become chabad - and its not always clear which their goal is at any given time)
I usually ignore anything that Chabad, the Hasids, or the Orthodoxy are up to. I'm Reform, so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 18,709,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
My wife grew up in the Mormon church. She has not gone to church for more than 25 years. Yet we still to this day receive letters monthly. We also have missionaries visit us at least twice a year. This is after both of us have asked for them to stop contacting us. We have moved at least 6 times and they keep tracking us down. Can you get a protective order against a religion?
Why doesn't she just have her name permanently removed from the Church's records? That's entirely possible to do.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM

7,767 posts, read 9,924,109 times
This thread is about atheists knocking on people's doors. It is NOT a thread in which any more denominational or religious bashing will be tolerated. It will be infracted for. Please refer to the Sticky and the Terms of Service.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 PM

8,483 posts, read 9,622,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I usually ignore anything that Chabad, the Hasids, or the Orthodoxy are up to. I'm Reform, so....

I'm Conservative, so my motto is "nothing Jewish is alien to me" more or less.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 23,622,425 times
[quote=DaniMae1;14990329]Could you imagine if non believing groups went doorknocking to try and deconvert Christians? Handing out tracts and little magazines. Do you think they'd be angry? I'm not sure. Some probably would be. Others would like the challenge. And there would be a few quacks that would protest and try to have "laws passed" to stop it. When I was in church I NEVER one time went on those silly doorknocking trips. I was to embarrassed. I mean how obnoxious!

QUOTE]

I really don't think a non believer would knock on doors. What's the point. There is no church asking them to solicit new members.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 23,622,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Yeah, can you imagine me knocking on your door and preaching to you about this.

YouTube - The Native American Ten Commandments2

Those are wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM

4,391 posts, read 3,906,326 times
Let me add for the record that I think Mormon's are generally nice people. Annoying at times but nice.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 AM

2,958 posts, read 1,900,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Let me add for the record that I think Mormon's are generally nice people. Annoying at times but nice.
The three who came to Oak Ridge, TN in 1951 were nice.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 AM

13,035 posts, read 20,579,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
You think I was kidding. In the southern U S people have been shot down in their tracks for less than what you just proposed.

Make no mistake about it...the Knights of the Klu Klux Klan were a Christian organization.
No sadly I believe it all too well. I lived in the good Old South for a short period of time and it was quite an eye opener for a European Atheist. American "Christianity" can take some very bizarre strange forms.

The Snake handling sect I saw in Tennessee was quite "special".

I love the States but sometimes I think some parts of it are so backwards they make the idea of "civilisation" rather redundant.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 AM

2,958 posts, read 1,900,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
No sadly I believe it all too well. I lived in the good Old South for a short period of time and it was quite an eye opener for a European Atheist. American "Christianity" can take some very bizarre strange forms.

The Snake handling sect I saw in Tennessee was quite "special".

I love the States but sometimes I think some parts of it are so backwards they make the idea of "civilisation" rather redundant.
I don't know whether or not you might have seen Bill Maher's Religulous thing but I thought parts of it were so true and indicitive of the caliber of Christian in the good ol' south. In one tent meeting while the introductory comments were still being made a guy who weighed at least 300 pounds said he didn't like where that talk about "His God" was headed and got up and waddled to the exit. I cracked up so loudly that my wife came from another room to see what had me that torn up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality