U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,721,406 times

Advertisements

I love the New World Translation. Beautifully adapted to modern English but also very close to the original text. Also restores God's name, Jehovah, everwhere it was taken out in other versions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 08:36 AM

7,768 posts, read 9,639,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I love the New World Translation. Beautifully adapted to modern English but also very close to the original text. Also restores God's name, Jehovah, everwhere it was taken out in other versions.
I doubt sun will be able to find a NWT in a Christian bookstore, too many errors and mistranslations. He/she may find one, but I certainly have never seen one.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,556 times
I understand there are some versions that are not accurate at all and actually remove a lot of references to the deity of God and His name. I think I read that these versions relay a more humanistic version of the Bible. Anyone know of these?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I doubt sun will be able to find a NWT in a Christian bookstore, too many errors and mistranslations. He/she may find one, but I certainly have never seen one.

Mind expanding on that? I have no idea what you could be referring to. I use about four different versions of the bible and the NWT is my favortie due to the beauty of the modern english diction. I've compared them all and the differences are extremely minimal.

Anyway sun-queen, the reason they aren't in Christian bookstores is that they are not for sale. They are free to the public and can be obtained by writing to the Watchtower Society in New York or calling your local congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses for them to bring you one. There is a lovely leather-bound one w/ gilt edging that would make a great gift. Donations are accepted, but not required.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:31 AM

12,393 posts, read 14,941,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I was shopping for a gift for a friend. I decided a Bible would be perfect, but they had so many different translations I didn't know which one to choose. I just wonder if anyone could tell me which translation is more accurate and why. Please feel free to tell me what your personal preference is too.
Next time you talk to him/her just flat out ask which version they like, or would like to have

Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 AM

7,768 posts, read 9,639,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I've compared them all and the differences are extremely minimal.
I won't hi-jack sun's thread with this, but calling Jesus God and calling Jesus a god, isn't an 'extremely minimal' difference.

Sun, I'd advise getting all your recommendations here, then carrying your list into your local Christian bookstore, and asking one or two of the employees there for their advice. I'm sure, using that method, God will lead you to the right translation. God bless and let us know what you choose! Also, kudos to you for buying a Bible for a friend, what a wonderful gift!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I won't hi-jack sun's thread with this, but calling Jesus God and calling Jesus a god, isn't an 'extremely minimal' difference.

Sun, I'd advise getting all your recommendations here, then carrying your list into your local Christian bookstore, and asking one or two of the employees there for their advice. I'm sure, using that method, God will lead you to the right translation. God bless and let us know what you choose! Also, kudos to you for buying a Bible for a friend, what a wonderful gift!
Do you think the NWT is the only translation that does that, Alpha? Feel free to pm me or go to the JW thread with your thoughts. I'm curious.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:56 AM

2,181 posts, read 3,780,280 times
Oh for Pete's sake, some people need to give it a rest.

Unless we all know original Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, we're pretty much at the mercy of Bible translators and what they say a particular word means.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Oh for Pete's sake, some people need to give it a rest.

Unless we all know original Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, we're pretty much at the mercy of Bible translators and what they say a particular word means.
Thank you kind sir.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,780,280 times
You're welcome - I think? (My sarcasm radar is out of commission right now, so I presume the smilie face means you're serious.)

Really, I'm honestly starting to wonder who to believe anymore. I'm even starting to wonder if I can believe the Catholic Church. I mean, everyone says everyone else is wrong, so who is right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality