U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,330,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I was shopping for a gift for a friend. I decided a Bible would be perfect, but they had so many different translations I didn't know which one to choose. I just wonder if anyone could tell me which translation is more accurate and why. Please feel free to tell me what your personal preference is too.
Hi there Sun Queen! Good topic! My mind was quite set on the KJV, and the NKJV, but now I'll have to go and study this subject again. After reading the replies, I think everyone's view on this has some validity.
Generally, I don't like "thee and thou", but in some cases, I actually prefer the old English, for its poetic value. For example, one of my favorites, from the KJV: Psalm 42:1

"As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

A Google search turns up LOTS of possible study links: bible translations - Google Search

I'm going to do some more reading up on this topic!

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 12:38 PM

7,780 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I mean, everyone says everyone else is wrong, so who is right?
God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit. They are right.

And I'm assuming your 'some people need to give it a rest' was directed at me. While I understand your frustration, I have as much right to post to these threads as anyone. My post wasn't directed at you. If you're frustrated, as I have been at times, I'd take a break from the forums. It works wonders.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:39 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,494,472 times
Quote:
You're welcome - I think? (My sarcasm radar is out of commission right now, so I presume the smilie face means you're serious.)

Really, I'm honestly starting to wonder who to believe anymore. I'm even starting to wonder if I can believe the Catholic Church. I mean, everyone says everyone else is wrong, so who is right?
Just look into your own heart for what is right. Then ignore everyone else.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 4,813,974 times
Quote:
You're welcome - I think? (My sarcasm radar is out of commission right now, so I presume the smilie face means you're serious.)

Really, I'm honestly starting to wonder who to believe anymore. I'm even starting to wonder if I can believe the Catholic Church. I mean, everyone says everyone else is wrong, so who is right?
oh gosh...I was not being sarcastic. So sorry if it looked as if I was.

I just go by Jesus statement, 'by their fruits, you will recognize them'. That's how I made my decision and why I stick with it. I agree with irishmom. Pray to God about it and he'll reveal the truth to your heart. Then you have it easy.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:16 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,760,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Just look into your own heart for what is right. Then ignore everyone else.
I've already decided to do that.

Last edited by Pathwalker; 06-22-2007 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-22-2007, 02:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,072,997 times
Alot of us wonder which Bible Version is the best? My answer is: There is no best. There are good and better, but how does one know just which one is the best? I use many, and I find them all helpful at times.

Many people believe that understanding the Scriptures has to do with having a "perfect translation" of the Scriptures. I try to tell them that there is no such thing as a "perfect" translation. And even if you read Hebrew and Greek fluently, it is still no guarantee that you will understand what you are reading.

Truth be known, millions who believe that the King James, for example, is a perfect inerrant translation have not a clue as to what is involved in translating from one language to another. It may be possible to translate a few specific words almost perfectly from one language to another. But once we get into whole sentences, paragraphs, pages, and whole books (written by different people over a period of many centuries, in ancient languages), the task is almost daunting. When considering the enormity of the task, I believe most translators of most Versions have done a satisfactory job.

That is not to say there aren't problems with all Versions. But thank God there are many copies of the Greek, and some copies of the Hebrew manuscripts which makes it possible to come pretty close to the mind of God in most areas of the Scriptures.

Surely God did not sternly warn against adding to or taking away from His Word, while knowing it would never happen. Of course it has happened. But the immature absolutely refuse to believe it. They argue God is able to preserve His Word without error. And surely He is able, but that does not detract from the fact that men have indeed tampered with the interpretation of and translation of the very words of Scripture. God KNEW that men would add to and take from His Word—hence the warning.

Admittedly, by the translators themselves, a perfect translation is not possible. Surely the teachers are more honest regarding their errors and imperfect knowledge than their students who swear by every word of their imperfections

IMHO, the Best Bible Translation is one that will conform your life to the incorruptible image of Jesus the Messiah, the Anointed One, the One full of the Holy Spirit without measure. If you want to be “translated” into His marvelous kingdom, then let the true Word of God, Jesus, and His Holy Spirit completely have their way with you. They will indeed lead you into all Truth. And your Bible translation, regardless of which one you use, will be transformed right before your eyes!

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-22-2007 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: bolding

Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM

2,214 posts, read 4,813,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
IMHO, the Best Bible Translation is one that will conform your life to the incorruptible image of Jesus the Messiah, the Anointed One, the One full of the Holy Spirit without measure. If you want to be “translated” into His marvelous kingdom, then let the true Word of God, Jesus, and His Holy Spirit completely have their way with you. They will indeed lead you into all Truth. And your Bible translation, regardless of which one you use, will be transformed right before your eyes!

Isnt that a lovely, humble thought? Very nice Jeff.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,072,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Isnt that a lovely, humble thought? Very nice Jeff.
Thanks! You know what's cool? I find all of the debating and such on these forums have actually made me "dig deeper", as I like to say so often. So maybe we are helping each other grow spiritually in a way?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 AM

954 posts, read 545,804 times
Quote:
I mean, everyone says everyone else is wrong, so who is right?
We are!!

The Heathen.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,114,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
We are!!

The Heathen.
LMAO, Good Morning, de calvo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality